? Please give me advice I can not do home test

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Kaori &Utyun, Dec 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kaori &Utyun

Kaori &Utyun Member

Hi

I have not posted here every day, but I appreciate every day that I am being helped by everyone.
    I will be hospitalized for about 10 days next month. I asked the child for Utyun 's insulin.
    But children can not test. It is very scary to hit insulin without testing.
    The amount of insulin is now 0.5 units. Today is 60 and pmps is 491! It was a big bounce.

Please give me advice on the amount of insulin on the day I can not test.

2. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi,

Based on Utyun's numbers yesterday and if you are following SLGS, I would say he earned a reduction to 0.25 units right now!

When do you go to the hospital? . Utyun's needs may change by the time you go, so just wanted to confirm if you are going soon.

3. Photorecon

Photorecon Well-Known Member

A fix dose lasting 10 days is difficult considering the current data on your spread sheet.
    What you can do is see with a veterinarian for a fructosamine test, it will give you an
    average of what happened in the last 2-3 weeks. Vet can then set an dose for you.
    Or
    I travel a lot and when I do someone needs to take care of the kitties. I have found good
    candidate in local Ads. looking for dog walkers. Test / feed and shoot is way less work
    and if they're really pet lover you can fine the one you need.

Pretty much what I can think of, hope you'll find this perfect dose.

Sébastien

Kaori &Utyun likes this.
  4. Kaori &Utyun

Kaori &Utyun Member

Hi Tracey! Thank you for your advice.
    I changed to TR in July. I am using a human meter but the spreadsheet remains ALPHA TRAK.

Hospitalization is about 10 days from January 11th.

5. Kaori &Utyun

Kaori &Utyun Member

Hi Sébastien! thank you for the advice.

I am also Uryun 's blood sugar level is once glad, now sad. It is very difficult.
    I do not have a pet sitter in my area, so I will consider your advice fructosamine.
    Thank you very much.

6. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I would say reduce to 0.25 while you can't test. Better she's too high than too low.

7. JanetNJ

Make sure the caretaker leaves plenty of food available and has honey in case the cat goes too low.

Kaori &Utyun likes this.
  8. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

If you don’t go into the hospital until Jan 11, I think we should wait and see what the numbers look like between now and then as to the dose you should reduce to, as Tracey suggested.

I would not waste my money on a fructosamine test. If you test the next couple weeks before you go into the hospital, we can better advise you than what information a fructosamine test can tell you and what a vet would suggest for dose.

We’ve helped many, many people who have to leave their cats. I want to be clear that we understand.....your child can give insulin while you are in the hospital but can’t test? Is there an adult that will be there with your child that you can teach to test before giving insulin?

9. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Ah, missed that piece.

10. Kaori &Utyun

Kaori &Utyun Member

Hi Janet! thank you for the advice.

Yes, I prepare food and honey.
    And thank you for your test video!

11. Kaori &Utyun

Kaori &Utyun Member

Hi Marje! thank you for the advice.
    Since there are still days, I will look at the movement of blood glucose level.

Since Japan enters a holiday on New Year's Day, I do not know whether fructosamine can be tested

It is regrettable that there is no one to teach children about the test:(

12. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I would not test the fructosamine.

I didn’t mean is there someone to teach the child. I mean, is there an adult to teach to test? Is there an adult staying with your child who could learn to test?

13. Kaori &Utyun

Kaori &Utyun Member

I'm sorry I could not understand English.
    There is no adult. When I am in the hospital I have only 1 child and 9 cats.

14. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

Does your veterinarian board cats (in other words, could you leave Utyun with a veterinarian who could give insulin and test)?

Probably this would be very expensive for ten days, so it may not be the best solution for you, but it is one possibility.

I'm glad that there is still almost a week to decide what to do. I agree with Marje-- don't test fructosamine. Let's watch Utyun's BG numbers for the next week or two.

Kaori &Utyun likes this.
  15. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Your English is fine, don't worry about that.
    This might be another option if Utyun stays at home. Give however takes care of Utyun access to this site, you can always change your password later. If you can get a few people to monitor your posts during the time you're away we can give basic advice on some things that might concern you. If there a way to say to someone "How is your English" without sounding like an idiot could someone help me with this? What I'm trying to say is as long as someone here knows ahead of time it will be someone else on the other end we could help.
    Not PC, sorry. :blackeye::blackeye::blackeye:

Kaori &Utyun likes this.
  16. Kaori &Utyun

Kaori &Utyun Member

Hi Nan!
    My veterinarian is probably a veterinarian who Japanese veterinarians do not approve of testing.
    And for 10 days, leaving Utyun to the veterinarian may be near monetarily impossible:(
    Thank you very much for your advice and encouragement words!

17. Noah & me (GA)

Kaori, I just read your signature and realized you are using Google translate. Please ignore my first reply until I find a better way to say that.

Kaori &Utyun likes this.
  18. Kaori &Utyun

Kaori &Utyun Member

Hi Noah!
    Thank you for your advice and words of assistance!
    I still have a few days to that date so I would like to think about what I can do.
    I thank you for being kind to everyone who can not speak English.

LizzieInTexas and Noah & me (GA) like this.
  19. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

you don't mention how old your child is.
    Maybe you can find a video in Japanese on youtube of how to test cat blood glucose.
    I tried but it doesn't show me anything in Japanese.

Kaori &Utyun likes this.
  20. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Kaori:

As others asked, how old is your child? Giving an injection of Lantus can be more challenging than testing.

My cat would not allow anyone to test her except me. I have a wonderful person who takes care of my cats when I travel and we were happy she was able to give Gabby her shot. In 2014, I had to be gone for 8 days. I reduced Gabby's dose. (You can see her spreadsheet from June 5 to June 13, 2014 and I was gone for a week in July, as well.) How about posting here closer to when you have to go into the hospital? We can see what dose you are giving Utyun and decide on what is a good dose while you are in the hospital.

21. Noah & me (GA)

Kaori, there is no easy way to say this. Is Google translate working well for you?
    Everything you say makes sense to me. I assume if we don't use slang or certain words like BUPE this will work out fine.
    :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
    Sorry everyone, it's my understanding Kaori does not speak or write any English (post 13) and I could not find a PC way to say that. Could someone please back me up on this?

22. Noah & me (GA)

23. Nan & Amber (GA)

I think Kaori is communicating very well using Google Translate. Kaori, you are amazing!

If things that we say do not make sense, please let us know! We can try to find different words or phrases that are easier for Google to translate.

24. Noah & me (GA)

Thank you Google for just once making life easier.
    Kaori is amazing!
    Thank you Tracey, Nan&Amber. Back to business.

Kaori &Utyun likes this.
  25. Kaori &Utyun

Kaori &Utyun Member

Hi Thank you everyone!
    I will reply by making the most of Google translation from now
    It takes time, but please.

26. Kaori &Utyun

Kaori &Utyun Member

Hi Rhiannon! How to test Thank you for the movie.
    I saw it many times on YouTube as well.
    The age of the child is 17 years old. She is also scared of hitting insulin.
    She was reluctant to be tested with fear of seeing blood ...

27. Kaori &Utyun

Kaori &Utyun Member

Hi Sienne! Thank you very much for your advice.
    The age of the child is 17 years old.
    Utyun also warns people other than me.
    Insulin injection is also difficult, so I am very worried if she can do exactly.
    I am watching Gabby 's SS several times.
    I am sorry I could not understand the sentences of the last two lines translated.

28. Kaori &Utyun

Kaori &Utyun Member

Hi Noah!
    Google translation is a little difficult:confused::facepalm:
    What is BUPE?
    Also, who is the picture of Noah's grandpa?
    Noah, thank you!

29. Kaori &Utyun

Kaori &Utyun Member

Hi Nan!
    Google translation has something a little strange
    Thanks for thinking about me.
    I thank everyone here.

30. Nan & Amber (GA)

I'm not surprised :confused:!

Last two lines of Sienne's post:

"How about posting here closer to when you have to go into the hospital? We can see what dose you are giving Utyun and decide on what is a good dose while you are in the hospital."

Another way to say this: "Please continue to post information about Utyun's blood glucose numbers and insulin dose during the next two weeks, until you go to the hospital. More information will help us understand the situation, and we can recommend an insulin dose for the time you are in the hospital."

Does this help?

I have another question for you: has Utyun ever had ketones or diabetic ketoacidosis?

31. Kaori &Utyun

Kaori &Utyun Member

Despite being translated into Japanese, I can not understand that Japanese (I silly!
    It is impossible to log in while I am in the hospital.

Utyun became ketoacidosis. It was just a year ago.
    I am thankful that he is next door.

Please let me ask another question.
    Where is the injection site usually?
    I knew that (scruff) in the forum was not good and injected near the abdomen of the left and right.
    Does the way insulin works by location changes?

32. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

It's very important that Utyun gets his insulin regularly, Kaori. I hope your daughter will do it for you.

Some people think that the insulin is absorbed better in some locations. Many people use the scruff and many use other areas on the side of the cat. Use the location that is easy for your daughter.

Please post here often before you go to the hospital. We need a lot of information to be able to help you with a good dose for Utyun when you are away.

Please ask if you do not understand what we say. :)

33. Kaori &Utyun

Kaori &Utyun Member

Hi Kris, Thanks for your advice!

I understood that it was best that Nan's message was best posted in the forum until he was hospitalized.
    As you know, English is struggle with English, so can broken English be used?

Thank you for telling me about the injection site.

34. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Please use any English you can, Kaori. :) We will try to understand. We can ask you again if we do not.

35. Nan & Amber (GA)

I am not surprised that the translation doesn't always work! I think English and Japanese have different sentence structure, so translation is hard. We will just keep trying until it makes sense! :)

36. Kaori &Utyun

Kaori &Utyun Member

Thank you for everything.
    Japan has become a New Year.

I hope everyone is a good year in 2018!

37. JanetNJ

Happy New Year

Kaori &Utyun and Noah & me (GA) like this.
  38. Noah & me (GA)

:)

Kaori &Utyun likes this.
  39. Kaori &Utyun

Kaori &Utyun Member

Hi Janet

Happy new year!

40. Kaori &Utyun

Kaori &Utyun Member

It was a comedian!:banghead:

41. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Let me see if I can restate these 2 sentences. The dose may change before you go to the hospital. Can you let us know what Utyun's dose is several days before you go to the hospital? If Utyun's dose is still 0.50u, I would suggest lowering the dose to 0.25u during the time you are not home.

I would suggest that you make a sample syringe for your daughter. Use a colored liquid (tea, juice, coffee, etc) and fill a used syringe with the amount of the colored liquid that is the dose Utyun should get while you're in the hospital. This will give your daughter something to compare the syringe with Lantus to. Also, have her practice filling a syringe and giving a shot while you're at home.

I always gave Gabby her shots in the scruff.

Kaori &Utyun likes this.
  42. Steph & Quintus & L & O

Steph & Quintus & L & O Well-Known Member

Happy New Year!

Giving the shot in the scruff will probably be the easiest place to do it for your daughter. It will help if your daughter can learn to test and do the insulin injection with you before you go to the hospital.

Kaori &Utyun likes this.
  43. Noah & me (GA)

I've used this site a few times to translate English to Belarusian and back and it works well. I can't contribute anything medically to this thread so I'll leave everyone with this. It's the Google search result "translate English to Japanese" and obviously you'll have to reverse that later. The big issue is everything appears in Japanese characters so that might really mess things up.
    https://www.google.ca/search?ei=kUd...0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..2.6.1093....0.IrsYgSAiauc

Kaori &Utyun likes this.
  44. Noah & me (GA)

@Kaori &Utyun ignore this
    Sorry for the double post.
    The site in post 43 only works for me if:
    --I open a new page in Google
    --copy and paste every thing
    That's really labor intensive but it might work for a written list Kaori can give to a vet or in-home help.
    This is "the amount of insulin" インスリンの量

45. Kaori &Utyun

Kaori &Utyun Member

Sienne, Happy New Year.
    I understood your advice. And thank you for syringe ingenuity.
    Very good idea!

Should Utyun dosing posts create new threads?

46. Kaori &Utyun

Kaori &Utyun Member

Stephanie, Happy New Year!
    Thank you for your advice.

Quintus is a wonderful kitty!

47. Kaori &Utyun

Kaori &Utyun Member

Noah, Happy New Year!
    I appreciate your kindness.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.