? Please- Need dosage advice, seeing higher numbers

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by katiesmom, Jul 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. katiesmom

katiesmom Member

Previous post- http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/need-advice-on-dosage-shot-times.179118/

Katie's numbers are the highest they have been for a while, steadily rising the few days. She has been doing SO good the last couple months, numbers low and steady, these recent numbers are the highest I have seen in quite a while.

I also tested her urine a couple hours ago and was surprised there was glucose in her urine (med green on strip). I have NEVER seen glucose in her urine below a 200 reading. So she either went really high in the 8 hours between her AMPS and +8 or something weird is going on.

Looking at her SS, you will notice I have several delayed shots because of low preshot numbers. I am doing SLGS (see previous condo why I cant do typical TR), although I have been shooting at lower numbers than before, now my NS number is 100 (it used to be 120).
    Make sure and scroll all the way down on her SS, March & April's numbers are not posted ( I was sick and just wrote in journal), but is up to date from May to present.

Can some experienced eyes take a gander for me and advise me, should I give her an increase in insulin, you think? I dont know what's going on.

Thanks in advanced.

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

First off, I see that her dose is bouncing around a bit from 0.25 to F0.25 units. Over SLGS, you hold the same dose for a week, do a curve, then evaluate the dose. Skipping shots and late shots does not help the depot stabilize either. You can get wonky numbers with inconsistent dosing. I haven't seen a curve done for ages, or barring that, some spot checks where you have blank spots in the spreadsheet. Kitties that dive low often do it early in the cycle. I would try to get more AM and PM spot checks from +2-4 if you can, to help us see what is happening. She could need more insulin, or maybe the higher numbers are bounces and she needs less.

Continuing on the conversation from your last post here, my Neko was also on raw. She could not handle the wheat in most HC food. I did find some that used potato for carbs, Weruva specifically. If might be worth trying Katie on some of those, or honey or pure maple syrup sometime, but not when she is low and you don't want her to vomit. If is very important to find something that can bring her up from lows safely.

3. katiesmom

katiesmom Member

Thanks for the reply! I do try to make dosage consistent. To clarify-The reason for the slight difference in dosage, I am using BD syringes and as everyone knows, their markings are very wonky. And their hubs are sometimes placed higher on the syringe than others, so a "neck" is showing. I swear no two are alike.
    So I am eyeballing all these doses. So sometimes they are a .25 and sometimes a .Fat25, it's extremely hard to tell with all the variables and calipers dont work because of the hub issue. I try very hard to duplicate the last dose, but these old eyes.... I swear I can look at it 50 times and sometimes think it's a .5 and sometimes it looks a .25. I take a good look at the syringe afterward and then line it back up where I had it and that's when I really decide what it was!
    I have tried every syringe out there. The only other one I liked and felt I could work with was monoject, and I cannot get the bubble out of it, so I had to ditch that and go back to BD. I really wish BD would be more consistent, it would make life much easier.

Katie seems to nadir late, that's the reason for for the later tests. I will get some earlier ones, if I can. I have very rarely seen any change when I have tested earlier. She's not very tolerant of testing, so I can only do so much. If she ever decides she is sick of being poked, I will be SOL, because there is no way to get her to do something she doesn't want to do! I only get tests and shots done because of treats! She's a good girl though, I really cant believe she even let's me do it at all with her "dominant" personality. I just dont know whats going on the last few days, she has been pretty stable for a couple months.

I try not to give shots late, that's why I am shooting lower now. I was proud of myself for lowering my NS number from 120 to 100, that was really hard for me. But I just cant shoot when she is in the 80's or 90's, I just can't do it. I am petrified at even the thought of a hypo. I got a wonky 44 once (not enough blood, tested 2x more and it was around 100), and I really had a panic attack. I guess I am just not built for this;) I am not making excuses, just explaining the reasons why. Thanks:)

4. Wendy&Neko

I used calipers with BD syringes for over four years. You don't measure with the big arms, but rather you use the skinny ones on the other side of the calipers that are used to measure the insides of things. Neko's last dose was under the zero line, but I figure it was more like 0.25 units. The BD markings were horrible!

5. katiesmom

katiesmom Member

I dont understand how you do it with the hubs so different from syringe to syringe. Do you know what I mean? Some hubs are squarely seated on the barrel, some are not and have a "neck" between the hub and top of barrel. How do you get around that?

6. Wendy&Neko

Do you mean the plastic ring on the outside as the hub, or the cone shape inside the barrel? I ignored the piece on the outside of the barrel and measured to the inside.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.