? Pmps 147, delay +2 153, dose?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Amanda Weaver, Aug 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amanda Weaver

Amanda Weaver New Member

I feel like I am struggling with whether or not my cat needs insulin. Last night I got home too late for dosing because it would throw off our whole week so I skipped. This morning 142. I still gave half the dose she was originally prescribed (1u prozinc was prescribed). That's after 20 hours insulin free and prozinc is an in/out insulin from what I understand. Tonight pmps was 147. I've delayed 2 hours now and it's only 153. It feels like she's similar whether she has insulin or not. I don't have much data though since we are just getting started. Ive got to get us on a set schedule so my dosing hasn't been regular enough I'm sure. Also we just had a full vet day Friday if you saw my last post. I don't know when my cut off point should be of when to dose and when to skip. Do I keep with the .5 dose until she gets preshots in the green or lower blues? I feel more confused now that I'm testing her than before!

2. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

It's possible her pancreas is trying to work again but she may still need the tiny bit of help from the Prozinc. Definitely don't give insulin if you get a green PS. For now, I wouldn't administer insulin if she's under 140 until you're able to monitor her more. Judging by her PMPS after getting 0.5U this morning, she doesn't seem to have gone too low :). However, if she was 147 tonight and then 2 hours later only at 153 (basically the same numbers) assuming she had eaten her meal, that's a very good sign! The schedule wonkiness could be adding to any confusion but I know it can be rough getting into the rhythm :bighug:.

One very nice thing with Prozinc is you have about an hour flexibility but you should still aim for 12/12. So I would suggest:
    • Try your hardest to get the 12/12 schedule.
    • Do not give insulin if PS reading is <140.
    • If >140 and you have to leave, probably try 0.25U. If you can monitor and grab some mid cycles, try sticking with 0.5U.
    • Overall, try to grab some mid cycle tests on your next day off ;).
    Did you do a diet change for her upon diagnosis? Was there any infection before starting insulin? Sorry if you mentioned this before, I don't have the best memory :rolleyes:

3. Amanda Weaver

Amanda Weaver New Member

Yes there was uti diagnosis with the diabetes diagnosis and we had complete diet overhaul from 100% dry to 100% wet low carb. Thank you for your tips. I think I need the half marked syringes because getting to .25 would be a guessing game in my regular u-40. But I have so many of these left!

4. vbc2000

vbc2000 Member

Another member, Janet, just gave me a tip on getting .25. Draw out .5 and let a few drops out and that should be .25. It's technically wasting a tiny bit of insulin but seems worth it.

5. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Don't want you to waste any syringes so you can try what Tigger's Mum suggested from Janet. The important thing is consistency of the dose, not 100% accuracy :). You can use coloured water on one as a guide for measuring 0.25U as well. It's very likely the infection is clearing and new diet change could be putting her on the path to diet controlled :woot:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.