? PMPS +15 and still going down!!!!

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Sue484, Aug 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sue484

Sue484 Well-Known Member

Morning. Do some cats do better on 18 hour injections rather than 12 hours? I have just took Frankie's AMPS and it is 5.5 (99) on Alpha Trak. I have therefore not given him insulin, but this is the fourth day of me giving him 18 hour shots, and that includes reductions!! Or should I just reduce further to get him back on to 12 hourly shots again?

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

If you're getting Pre-shots that are too low to shoot often, that's a good sign that the dose is too high and needs to be reduced so you can get those shots in every 12 hours

3. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Every 12 hours is the recommendation. A drop under 68 warrants a reduction on AT. So you keep reducing until you find a dose he can have every 12 hours or until you are ready for a OTJ trial. You want earned reductions. So congrats.

4. Sue484

Sue484 Well-Known Member

On 24/8 he was reduced to 4.5 units and then last night 27/8 I reduced to 4.25. I'm concerned about the back to back reductions and he doesn't usually hold them well. Do you think I should try 4 units?

5. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I don't give dosing advice. This could be the depot from the previous dose or he might need another reduction. If the next preshot is low I would give 4 units. Otherwise I'm not sure what I would do. I hope others answer.

6. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

Skipping shots, or even doing them at 18 hours, is going to make his numbers vary wildly, I think. Did he go any lower than that 99? If not, I believe the correct dose is 4.25, but if the next preshot is low and you aren't comfortable shooting that, you can do a "BCS" (Big Chicken Shot) and shoot less. One idea, if it is possible for you, is to test around +11 and post for advice on the dose. If you have some wiggle room in your schedule and can handle a late shot, you can test at the normal time and post for advice before shooting. You really want to try to get him onto more even cycles.

7. Sue484

Sue484 Well-Known Member

@Tricia & Cinco Just tested at +15 from evening shot and he has gone down to 3.9 (70). That is after a very hearty breakfast. Got no idea what to do!

8. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

Wow. That is tough. I am not great at situations like this, but there are people on the East Coast of the US that will be getting up in the next couple of hours that are very experienced, and many check in before they go to work. For now, I think I would not feed any more and test in an hour to see if he's still going down. Post again, and change your subject line to show his most recent numbers, and something like: Skip shot again? or Next dose?

Sorry I'm not more help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.