Poking the ears

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Tina and Gracie (GA), Jan 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tina and Gracie (GA)

Tina and Gracie (GA) Member

I feel so bad about poking Gracie's little ears.

Is there anything we can put on it to make it feel better? I usually warm it up with a sock and rice. I could be a bit dramatic, but I poked myself the other day my accident and it didn't feel enjoyable. In fact--if I was being poked several times a day I'd probably be a a real *****.

Also do you "guys" rotate which ear and location? I just don't want her to lose feeling, or something.

2. Vader723

Vader723 Member

I have seen others on here use a neosporin ointment, but I have never done so personally. I usually just apply a little bit of pressure for a minute or so while giving pet and rubs, to help stop the bleeding. Thankfully I do not have to check multiple times per day anymore, but I do rotate ears to give him a little bit of a break. I think cats ears generally recover pretty quickly!

Critter Mom likes this.
  3. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

It is a good idea to to use several different spots so you are not always poking in the exact same spot. The edges of their ears apparently do not have as many nerve endings as our fingers, so it does not feel as bad as your finger did. :) I get the corner of a washcloth damp with warm water. I hold it on Mia's ear for a few seconds to warm it before I poke (like you do with the warm rice sock). Then, after the poke I use it to apply light pressure for a few seconds and clean up any remaining blood. I do sometimes apply a little Neosporin ointment (not the cream).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.