? poking through on injection

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Annette Dickerson, Oct 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Annette Dickerson

Annette Dickerson New Member

Hi,
    My Sunny was diagnosed about a month ago. I am so frustrated as often when giving him his injection I seem to poke though to the other side of the "tent". He has lost so much weight there is no fat and the skin just seems to "suck together when I lift it. He has also developed diarrhea and I am wondering if you have any suggestions or experience with Pro-pectalin tablets.

Noah & me (GA) likes this.
  2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi Annette, welcome! Sorry you’re having trouble with the injections. I did too at first so I had my vet shave a patch at the injection site so I could see what I was doing. It worked well and may be something you could try.

3. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Forgot to add, I don’t know about the pro-pectin, but some here use plain canned pumpkin (not pie filling) for diarrhea. A probiotic that works well is Florastor and can be bought in most pharmacies.

4. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Annette. Did everything I said about PM's, threads and forums make sense? Most cats love canned pumpkin, it's a common call to emergency clinics around Halloween. Try filling out your profile with more info about age, previous and ongoing medical issues, other meds and the type of insulin you use. It can be very helpful to other members without having to type it out over and over again. Welcome to the group. Hey Sunny.
    :rolleyes:

5. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

There's another option other than "tenting" that may help but it's kind of hard to explain (but I'll give it a try!)

Instead of tenting, just grab some fur between your thumb and forefinger and then "roll" your wrist to pull the skin gently away from the muscle layer and inject where the fur "breaks".

Here's a picture that might help explain better
    China skin roll with circle.png

Sharon14 likes this.
  6. Noah & me (GA)

You didn't mention where you were injecting Sunny. I moved from the neck/scruff many years and two cats ago to the shoulder. Try and picture this; Noah lays on his side and I do something similar to what Chris does. I hold the syringe almost parallel to and pointed slightly inwards towards his body and the needle towards his butt. I poke Noah where his knee would be if he were curled up, behind his rib cage. You might still have a perfectly logical fear that big long needle will go through a vital organ or hit his spine. It will NOT, especially since needles got shortened a few years ago. We all had that same fear of "going too deep" and seeing blood on the syringe when you withdraw. That won't happen. I can do this with a migraine in low light with one eye closed, some people can just feel what they're doing. Believe me, if you hit something your cat will let you know. In fact it's so unlikely to happen it's why vets and techs don't bother mentioning it. It's not that we take it so lightly, we all got better with practice and so will you. Check out YouTube, there will be hundreds of videos on this. There's no such thing as a stupid question here, ask away.

7. Annette Dickerson

Thank you so much. I will definitely try the pumpkin!

8. Annette Dickerson

This is such a great site with so much good information. I find that knowing you all are out there is giving me confidence and I think that was the missing element. Thank you all!

Noah & me (GA) likes this.
  9. Noah & me (GA)

We're all a little nutty over here but we do play well with others.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.