Possible emergency post on Facebook group with "HI" BG and vomiting - possible DKA?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Tara L, Mar 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tara L

Tara L Member

SECOND UPDATE: Ketones negative, kitty finally ate 1/2 serving of food and drank some water, insulin likely being given as BG is still coming up as HI.

UPDATING POST - kitty's BG was tested twice, coming up as "HI". Is on 1.2 units of Prozinc. Curve was done yesterday (I don't have the info on the results of that yet, but Missy was planning to raise her insulin tonight). She now has Pepper in the bathroom to try and catch her urinating to check for ketones. Has not shot tonight's dose of Prozinc yet (due about 40 minutes ago), since kitty keeps vomiting and can't keep food down. Cerenia was given about 20-25 minutes ago now. If anyone with knowledge of Prozinc and dealing with this scenario can help on the FB group, please do!

All - can anyone assist Missy? Her cat, Pepper, was at the ER vet earlier today for mouth pain, and given Buprenorphine. Since they came home, Pepper has been vomiting (five times in one hour). Just asked Missy to test BG levels and it's coming up just as "HI". She will retest in a few minutes. ER vet is over an hour away. I'm not as familiar with dealing with HI or possible DKA - can anyone jump on the post? Link to thread here:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/felinediabetes/permalink/10155996096085202/

Thank you!!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
    Reason for edit: Updated information
  2. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

The pain meds can cause upset stomach, has she tested for ketones?
    W
    Is missy in here? I’m looking

3. Tara L

Tara L Member

Thank you for your response! She is not - she is only on the Facebook group. Was previously on the board also, but is not currently.

4. Bellasmom

I don’t have Facebook, have her test for ketones, not to worry about hi, I’ve been there many times, as long as it doesn’t stay high for long periods, it’s gonna be higher if kitty is in pain plus being sick, stress

5. Bellasmom

Does she have anything for nausea ? When tummy settles she needs to try and get some fluids and some food in

6. Tara L

Tara L Member

Per Missy, Pepper was due for a Prozinc dose 30 minutes ago, but with the vomiting, she wasn't sure if she should give it. I'm waiting on the second test result from her to see if kitty is still coming up as "HI".

7. Tara L

Tara L Member

She just gave her Cerenia it looks like about 15 minutes ago. I think her main question is whether or not to shoot, and then whether or not she needs to go back to the ER, since it's over an hour away.

8. Bellasmom

I’m finding someone who know prozinc

9. Tara L

Tara L Member

Ok, she is also going to put her in the bathroom to try and catch her urinating/test ketones (no idea how soon that will occur though obviously).

10. Tara L

Tara L Member

Thank you for searching for someone! I'm only familiar with Lantus.

11. Bellasmom

How many units does she give, I don’t think I would skip, will kitty eat anything at all

12. Bellasmom

I’m on lantus too

13. Tara L

Tara L Member

Pepper is on 1.2 units of Prozinc per Missy. Curve was done yesterday, and she was planning to raise the dose tonight (I'm not sure to what yet).

14. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

@Tara L
    @Bellasmom
    Please strongly encourage Missy to post on the FDMB even if it means she has to re-register. The kind of advice, follow up, and peer review she needs is not supposed to happen on Facebook.
    Thank you!

Bellasmom likes this.
  15. Bellasmom

Did she retest

16. Tara L

Tara L Member

Yes, she did and still HI.

Jill - she mentioned she previously quit the board. I did advise her we cannot give dosing advice on the FB group, but wanted to try and get her some help since this is an emergency, and then hopefully she can re-register when things are calmer <3 I also tagged an admin.

17. Jill & Alex (GA)

That's going about this backwards. We have no data, no history, information is being passed on second hand.
    Sounds like she needs to either log on with her old user name or re-register. If kitty is that sick (an emergency) she should be calling her vet.

18. Tara L

Tara L Member

I've advised calling the vet as well - she did initially, and they brushed her off. I don't believe she has full trust in them (I don't blame her - kitty went there with mouth pain, and came home super sick), and they are the closest ER at 90 minutes away. I will encourage her to re-open her account on the message board.

19. Jill & Alex (GA)

If the cat is that sick and the ER is 60/90 minutes away, she should probably be on her way rather than looking for help on FB or on the FDMB. Sounds like she needs someone hands on... a professional who can actually treat the cat.

monty_dweezil (GA) likes this.
  20. Jill & Alex (GA)

Any update? Did Missy take Pepper to see a vet?

21. Tara L

Tara L Member

She did not; Pepper finally ate a little bit, and drank a little bit of water. Was able to test ketones and is thankfully negative, and looks like she is probably going to give her insulin. I have encouraged her to re-join the board, as has someone from the Prozinc section of the board where I also posted. I will remove the 911.

monty_dweezil (GA) and Bellasmom like this.
  22. Jill & Alex (GA)

Happy to hear she ate, drank some, isn't throwing ketones, and has received insulin.
    Hopefully, she'll take your advice to rejoin the board if she needs help.

You can go ahead and remove the 911 prefixe here and in the Prozinc/PZI forum since there is no longer an emergency.
    Thank you for the update!

23. Tara L

Tara L Member

911 has been removed on both posts. Thank you!

Jill & Alex (GA) likes this.
  24. Tara L

Tara L Member

One final update: Prozinc given and Missy will continue to monitor BG tonight <3

Sharon14 and Jill & Alex (GA) like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.