Possible Holiday Plane Ride

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Amy & Revson, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amy & Revson

Amy & Revson Member

Hi everyone. I am considering flying for Christmas and would need to bring Revson with me. The flight would be from Albany, NY (Or Hartford, CT) to Columbus, OH. The total flight time would be between 3 and 5 hours depending on the route. Any suggestions for traveling with a diabetic mouser?

Thanks in advance,
    Amy

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Planning!

Desensitize to placement in a carrier by leaving it around the house with a comfy blanket and perhaps a bit of catnip or Feliway in it to make it a "safe haven". Also practice walking around with him in the carrier.

Leash train (acclimate to a leash) so that if the airline requires you to remove him from the carrier, you will have a secure tether to ensure he doesn't run away in panic. This involves finding a suitable harness (not a collar) that can have the cat's name on it and securely control movement.

Have an up to date microchip, just in case he should still find a way to get loose.

Have up to date vaccination documentation and health certificate from a vet within last 10-30 days that he is free from any communicable diseases. Although the airlines may not require it, there are state laws about the transport of companion animals into and out of many states. And should he scratch or bite you or someone else, that helps protect your cat from the possibility of being seized and quarantined.

Have a refrigerated container for the insulin. Bring testing equipment and syringes to give to the airline staff during the flight, just in case it is needed for monitoring. You won't be able to carry it on yourself, so make arrangements ahead of time with the airline(s). Be sure to have a letter from the vet regarding the cat's diabetes and regular monitoring and treatment to document the need for these supplies while on the airline.

Schedule the trip on the end part of the curve if possible, so you know the glucose will be rising as the insulin wears off and have less worry about hypo.

Find out the airline's requirements for carriers in the cabin; I would suggest NOT transporting as cargo.

3. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

J.D. and I are leaving for a 2 week vacation to California from New Jersey, next Sunday. This is his 6th or 7th trip.
    He goes as carryon. I just got back from my vet to get his Health Certificate as (in New Jersey anyway) it needs to be dated within 10 days of travel. I also had my vet write a letter stating that he is diabetic and needs insulin and syringes on the plane with me. I put all his stuff (syringes, insulin in cooler bag, food, meds, etc.) in my "purse".
    Besides a collar with an I.D. tag that has his name, my cell phone number, and "Diabetic" written on it, and lots of extra bells attached, he is micro chipped, and wears a well fitting harness and leash the entire trip (car rides to airport, in airport, plane trip, in airport, car rides from airport) each way.
    I give him some Rescue Remedy for it's calming affect. I test him at home, when I get to the airport, right before we board, and the second we get off the plane. I find it impossible to test him while underneath the seat in front of us.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.