Possibly hypertyroid?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Libby and Sterling, Mar 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Libby and Sterling

Libby and Sterling New Member

Does anyone know the normal range of thyroid in cats? I took Sterling to the vets this morning and he did a T4 and the # was 4.9
    My vet didnt seem to be concerned since he is diabetic and has acromegaly. Is this an acceptable #?

2. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

Your lab should have reference numbers and your vet should be able to tell you what they are and how your cat's value relates.

3. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

4. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

The following page has pictures of lab test reports that say normal T4 of 1.2 to 5.2 ug/dl. However, it also says that older cats may be hyperthyroid if in the normal range. If cat is above 2.5 it recommends a free T4.

http://www.lbah.com/feline/hyperthyroidism.htm

5. Jess & Earl

Jess & Earl Member

If you have the results so quickly, it seems like the test was done right there at the office. If you have an older cat, you should have a thyroid panel sent to the lab -- at T4 and a Free T4 by equilibrium dialysis (abbreviated Free T4ED). Also he should have his blood pressure checked, all senior cats should.

6. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

My Buster is a case where his thyroid was at ~4.8 or so, and his Free T4 was positive for Hyperthyroid. I had to insist on the test, but I was worried because he was showing the symptoms: PU/PD, weight loss, hair loss, aggression, upset stomach/vomiting.

Now that he is on Tapazole, he is much better - still has some hair loss and stomach upset.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.