Potential Hypo

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sootyca, Jan 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sootyca

Sootyca Member

Just tested Sky now at +4 and she has dropped to borderline hypo.

She seems fine (bright and eating but I know they can go downhill quickly). On Caninsulin her lowest point seems to be at +5 / + 6

She has eaten a full sachet of food and I've given her Felix As Good As it Looks - whenever she has been on this food it has caused her bloods to increase (the low numbers recently have been since she stopped eating it). I'm hoping that by giving her this it will cause a fairly quick increase in her bloods (and I'm hoping it won't ruin her numbers for next few days!)

I'm going to test her again soon and again after the food has given time to digest.

If her BG has increased to a more healthy number would it be okay to not test again? She is really fed up of being prodded today and it will be nearly midnight - not that the time matters to me but don't want to keep testing her

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  2. Sootyca

Sootyca Member

Retested at 45 minutes after last test and she has increased - not enough for me to be completely happy. She has eaten another half sachet of food and will retest in another 45 minutes. If she has increased again I will leave her be.

3. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hi Karen,
    Do you have previous experience/data of how well Felix AGAIL raises Sky's numbers?
    Without that I would suggest that you get at least one more test to check that the blood glucose is rising sufficiently and isn't going to drop again.... Sorry....

I use Felix AGAIL sometimes when Bertie's numbers drop, and I've done this enough times to know when I can (probably!) give him some of that food and then not have to test again. But if this is the first time you've tried this with Sky then.....better safe than sorry.....

4. Elizabeth and Bertie

Ooops! Cross-posted!

5. babyBoo

babyBoo Member

72 is a good number, your cat should be ok with numbers above 40.

6. Elizabeth and Bertie

On a human meter, yes. But OP is using Alphatrak.

Critter Mom likes this.
  7. Elizabeth and Bertie

Sounds like a plan.
    That 97 is looking nice, but you need to be comfortable with the situation. ....I'm guessing Sky is close to the peak of the cycle now...?

8. Sootyca

Sootyca Member

@babyBoo normally her nadir has been +5 and +6 so I'm a little worried that she could continue to drop which would put her in trouble and she has dropped much quicker this evening than this morning. If the 72 was at her nadir I'd be very happy :)

@Elizabeth and Bertie - nope never tried Felix before. She's only had one hypo before which involved a vet trip (soon after she was diagnosed and on way to high a dose). All I'm working off is how high her numbers stayed when on felix previously so I know it does increase her. Today she was dropping at +6.

I think if she goes up on the next test I will leave her be as it will be in the middle of her normal nadir. Maybe give her a couple of high carb treats as well :)

Can't believe she has dropped so much tonight from a similar starting point.

9. Elizabeth and Bertie

It looks like an improving picture for your girl.... :cat:

10. Elizabeth and Bertie

Aha, the numbers were fairly flat between +9 and +12, and in fact show a slight drop (although that may just be due to meter variance).
    With my own cat I've always found flat numbers the hardest to predict in terms of 'what will happen next'...
    ....If you continue to see these flat, or dropping, numbers toward the end of the Caninsulin cycle then that may mean that the pancreas is putting in a bit of work of it's own. That would be very good news! But it can also make dosing a bit more of a challenge.....

Sootyca likes this.
  11. babyBoo

babyBoo Member

I missed it being an alphatrak. It probably warranted another check a bit sooner than 45 minutes after it then.

Sootyca likes this.
  12. Elizabeth and Bertie

It's very easy to miss... There used to be the option of highlighting the text in red and that made it much easier to spot....

13. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

well done testing and catching it. Any time you feel like your cat is in danger of going too low, best to test every 15-20 min to monitor.

Sootyca and Elizabeth and Bertie like this.
  14. Sootyca

Sootyca Member

Another slight increase so I've given her some dreamies and a few biscuits to keep her heading the right direction. She is now almost at +6 from her insulin so should hopefully be okay now. She's showing signs of temper when I go near her ears so I think I will call it a night. She is still bright (well, sleept but it is late!) and responsive so I'm sure it's been averted.

Will be much more careful in future.

15. Sootyca

Sootyca Member

I should really have done this - if she hadn't increased after her food I would have tested her sooner.

It was only chance that I tested her at +4 tonight as she has had a day of being prodded. Very glad I did. I will have to be much more careful but I was sure she was within a safe limit for the dose.

Elizabeth and Bertie likes this.
  16. JanetNJ

she was low but still in safe numbers. no need to be overly concerned. You steered her up, so she's fine. :) I know you aren't used to seeing those green numbers, so you get a little anxious... but really she's ok. it's what you want to see. I always aimed for around 80-85. as long as she's not below 70 she's ok. :)

17. Sootyca

Sootyca Member

Kept meaning to add, thanks everyone for the guidance and assistance :) Really appreciate it.

Karen
    x

18. JanetNJ

well now you know when she's 190-220 only give 1U.

19. JanetNJ

she's really getting some great preshot numbers this week compared to a week or so ago! this is what I like to see. you can see her healing right there in the chart. her average morning preshot this week was only 220.7. not that long ago it was in the 400's. amazing. hope the progress continues.

Sootyca and Elizabeth and Bertie like this.
  20. Sootyca

Sootyca Member

For sky the drop is definitely food related - taken her off Felix AGAIL and the difference is amazing. She's tested okay this morning, not massively high considering what I fed her to get her numbers up, but is quite subdued and did not want me to test her.

Karen

21. Sue484

Sue484 Well-Known Member

Mine eat Felix AGAIL and they are keeping stable. If they drop too low, one pouch will bring them up again though. Just shows how ECID!

Sootyca likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.