? Primor

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by apple, Apr 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apple

apple Member

Question:
    Vet wants to change antibiotics from clavamox to primor.

Has anyone used primor with their diabetic cat or civvies? It's labeled for dogs and I'm very unsure about using it with my cat, especially since he's very early in his diagnosis. Anyone used this?

Thanks

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Googling shows that Primor has been used for cats.
    My question for you is why is your cat on Clavamox and how long has it been used so far?

3. apple

apple Member

Sinus infection
    CT 12/2016
    University recommend adding nebulizing with saline to his medical regimen, then adding gentamicin if straight saline didn't cut it. RDVM refused the gentamicin.

Nebulizing w/saline started in Feb 2017.

Clavamox started Feb 2017. He does well with it.

MRI 3/2017
    University again recommend saline/gen and was told no to gent by rDVM.

He does well (behaviorally and symptomatically) while on clavamox. Once he is off for a few days, his symptoms come back and he looks and feels crummy. Then, it takes many days (3-5) to return to feeling well and looking/acting well.

University is not pushing to remove him from clavamox; nor pushing to change to primor; rDVM is pushing this.

Tanya and Ducia likes this.
  4. Larry and Kitties

Has a vet done a culture of the sinus cavity to determine what antibiotics work best?
    Also, has a vet considered that it could be a fungal infection?

5. apple

apple Member

University requested rDVM do a culture and gave directions on how/what/ the way they wanted it done. RDVM wouldn't comply. Instead put saline hyposaline in nostril and attempted to put a large swab in his nostril. In doing so, damaged my cat and had to take him back to the university and have them attempt to repair damage. Rdvm's response was that she felt 'it was worth it though'.

Swab, obviously wouldn't fit in his nostril and the culture was only from the tip of the curved edge of the nostril. Culture showed ecoli. I don't know that I buy the validity of the results as sniffing his best friends hind end can put ecoli on his or anyone else's nose.

Rdvm is now stuck on herpes and wants fam-cy-cli-ver (not sure how to spell it).

Asked university if they could do the culture when he was out for MRI and was told to have it done w/rDVM. I'm not inclined to allow her to do that again with the attitude breaking him was worth getting the info. RDVM didn't by into my idea that the result was fruitless because taking the swab from the outside of the nose isn't a confirmation of what is on the inside.

I asked about fungal infection and was ignored.

Tanya and Ducia likes this.
  6. Tanya and Ducia

Tanya and Ducia Well-Known Member

Looks like you need to shop for a new vet.

JanetNJ likes this.
  7. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly.

8. Larry and Kitties

9. apple

apple Member

10. Larry and Kitties

11. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

I agree, you need to find a vet that is willing to work with the University NOT against them. Some vets (and human doctor's too) can't put their ego aside to do what's best!

12. apple

apple Member

No, it doesn't, I don't think enough descriptors match.

I would take the sneezing and discharge, but not the ulcers, and some other things on the list.

However, tonight I got a wonderful mucous plug from my cat. One inch long and 1/4th inch wide. Saved it to be cultured. While discussing how best to store, cultured vet didn't want me to put it in augur, so he could look for fungus. ....

Thanks for finding this. It was a great piece to share. Maybe it will lead something else that will provide answers.
    If you think of anything else it may be, please share.

Last edited: May 3, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.