Princess Update - switch Vetsulin to Lantus - HAPPY

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Bryan & Princess, Jul 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bryan & Princess

Bryan & Princess Member

Thanks to some great group members here and a FB page I am on I decided to switch from Vetsulin to Lantus.

Diagnosed on 5/29 It has been since 6/20 since I saw anything but Purple, Red, and BLACK, Partly in my opinion I left my Vetsulin when I brought it home out on the counter overnight in the box of syringes as I got distracted reading all the paperwork and researching online, then to make things worse I spent the first month pushing access insulin in the syringe back into the vial (the lube for the rubber inside the syringe I HEAR contaminates the insulin), also maybe some bouncing from too much insulin, So thinking the Vetsulin was going bad I researched and came to the conclusion that Lantus (or Basaglar) is MUCH BETTER and MORE PRONE TO REMISSION as well as cheaper in the long run (ended up much cheaper since I got a box of 5 Lantus Solostar Pens with an 8/2020 expiration date from a Diabetic that could not use it as fast as she was getting it shipped - Paid $50) - But even if I paid $150 with Lantus Discount Card or $150 shipped for Basaglar from Canada Marks Marine Pharmacy it was still cheaper.

Anyways I am going in to DAY 3 of LANTUS (5 shots done) and I started this morning hoping to see Yellow, and my tests after Midnight I so excited to pass Yellow and get to see BLUE TWICE all on a .5u (1/2u) dosages of Lantus, I AM SO RELIEVED TO BE OUT THE PURPLE, REDS, BLACK,

I think my vet is pissed I stopped arguing with her about more visits, using Prozinc instead (nothing wrong with Prozinc - just not my choice), more labs, and basically more money into her clinic before she would subscribe Lantus, I offered over and over to pay her for her time in emails and researching my requests but I was sold on Lantus or Basaglar, and I finally just went around her and started Lantus on my own and I AM SO DAMN HAPPY SO FAR I DID, I sent her a nice email saying I managed to make a change to Lantus without her because I had no more time to discuss it with her, again offered to pay her for her time, I asked about Dental Xray costs, and If she suggest new COMPLETE labs when Princess was settled in with Lantus, its been 3 days since she HAS NOT responded so I assume she is done with me as a customer, guess I will go pickup Princess charts and test results and move on to another Vet.

IN SHORT - Thank you all for your help and guidance, Princess is doing better because of all your advice !!!!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...SbVvTq35lGSGH4Gc/edit#gid=361360320&range=A39

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  2. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

I had to go around my first with my 1st kitty. Once I had data to proof it was working, he came around. Now it's his preferred insulin to use. Now my Olive here wasn't doing well on Lantus, again I had to go around him to get Levemir. He hasn't seen her since. Now we have acro to add into the mix so her glucose is all over the place.

3. Mom2SweetPea

Mom2SweetPea Member

We are on week 3 of Vetsulin, and I am wondering if I should ask my vet to switch to Lantus, too. After hours of researching it really does seem to be the best one for cats. I just don't want to waste precious time trying Vetsulin (and getting blacks and reds!) if it won't work. Should I give it time? So discouraged seeing the high numbers. I feel like the longer she stays high, the more likely the long term damage will be. Want to get those numbers down but want to do it safely. Congrats to you and Princess for some happy numbers!

4. Harley Baby & Michele

Harley Baby & Michele Member

Hey Bryan and Princess! I was thrilled to hear about your experience. Fabulous job advocating for Princess. I smiled ear to ear and gave a little giggle! I pictured you in a black trench coat with collar up and a jaunty fedora on your head, standing in the rain under a street light, at midnight waiting to meet your Lantus dealer! Yeah, I read to many Noir Mysteries. :cool:

5. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

I can't answer you on whether you should switch. Your ss doesn't show 3 weeks of data. The dose you gave yesterday and today aren't showing. I suggest you you start your own thread so not to hijack this one. You need to post regularly for the best advice.

6. Bryan & Princess

Bryan & Princess Member

What I read about about Lantus is your best chance for Remission is using it within 60 days of being diagnosed, so after 30 days on Vetsulin (and fearful it was bad because I left it out overnight the day I brought it home, PLUS then learning (or was reminded) that pushing extra insulin back into the vial was bad because the lube to make the plunger glide nicely contaminates it) I decided to change. First I fought with my Vet to go with Basaglar ($150 vs. $190 Lantus shipped from Canada - which will probably be 12-18 month supply. (a biomedically equivalent to Lantus - it can not be called generic because insulin not 100% chemical composition), then I decided heck this is for 12-18 mo supply might as well go Lantus as it averaged out to be not that much more, why cheap out on Basaglar that has not been proven as much (though considered the same) so I decided on Lantus, But then my Vet started pushing ProZinc, well I got tired of emails back and fourth for 4 days and being worried of my Princess's numbers while trying to get a Lantus Prescription, so I started considering buying from private party here, but then I found on my local Craigslist (5) Lantus Solostar Pens for $50 for all (5) with a 8/2020 expiration date. SOLD, I went and got locally, it was from a diabetic lady whose insurance shipped every month her Insulin and she had 6 extra boxes at this point (could not use it fast enough), it came packaged cold, was kept in her refrigerator, and it was perfect - SOLD - I put Princess on it that night and 3 days later I could not be happier with my decision.

So then I told me Vet that I did not need her help regarding Insulin but was interested in dental xrays and a full blood workup down the road, I asked for pricing and 4 days later I have yet to hear from her, I think she is done with me, and that is fine it will be easier for me to decide to move on to a new vet, next week I will go get all her test results and charts from my old vet.

I understood some of my vets concerns but not others, Example as soon as i realized how important Home Testing was and the fact I said I wanted to do it and she discouraged me at least in the first 10 days - I lost confidence in my Vet, If you look at my chart in the beginning you will see why I was so happy I did home testing. Then when I wanted to switch, she wanted another office visit, another round of $140 labs, she wanted a day of her doing a curve even though I shared my spreadsheet with her showing my curves, she fought me ordering it from Canada (despite me telling her I knew 100's of pet owners who were getting from the pharmacy I wanted to use), she fought Basaglar even though I included reports from the National Association of Vets (or something like that) saying it was a viable option and just like Lantus (which she knew about and used), Then I decided on Lantus and she switched to pushing me to use ProZinc, Which is fine, not knocking it, but she could not give me on reason why she wanted Prozinc over Lantus, only reason I could think of is harder for me to get without going through her.

NOTE: In my County/ varies throughout State you are supposed to have a prescription to get needles, I took my vetsulin bottle with the prescription on it with me and figured that they would not know it too U40 vs. U100 syringes, funny thing is I went to (3) pharmacies and although I was told on the phone I needed a prescription (from vet was fine) they never asked to see anything at all (3) places and I got syringes at all (3) places (a wrong un-returnable box at a Walmart on other side of town, a pack of 10 at a Walgreens, and a box of the right ones at the Walmart by my house)

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  7. Mom2SweetPea

Mom2SweetPea Member

Thank you, Bryan, for your kind and detailed response. I didn't mean to hijack your thread. I have only been here 6 days and on 3rd week since diagnosis and am overwhelmed. Your info is very helpful. Congratulations again on the great numbers! Hoping for more good news for Princess. :)

8. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Woo Hoo!! Glad you finally got them!! I'd bet that at the first WalMart you said something like "I want insulin syringes for U100 insulin" and they thought you meant you wanted syringes that held up to 100 units. (totally different things of course, but WalMart doesn't hire the brightest bulbs in the lamp)

Sure is good to see some nicer numbers!! Go Princess!!!

9. Bryan & Princess

Bryan & Princess Member

No worries from me on hijacking, and I am on week 5 since diagnosed, I full understand the "overwhelmed", everytime I think I have it under control something else gets me worried. (numbers are back up today, but not near as worried as I know we are on the right track and she just seems better today) It will take her body some time to get use to things.

10. Bryan & Princess

Bryan & Princess Member

You are exactly right, Chris .....the First Walmart was funny and sad, First the counter person was almost done with her nursing degree and she swore the units in a u40 syringe and a u100 syringe were the same sizes, then the Pharmacist agreed with her and argued with me (scary), then the third counter person said the same thing, I then said then why is their a chart that shows to use a u100 syringe to do shots meant to use a u40 syringe to use 2.5 x the units, they were dumbfounded as to why but still swore each unit was the same dosage u40 vs. u100, honestly it was not until I got home that I realized that u40 is 40 units per milliliter and u100 has 100 units per milliliter.

Her numbers were back into the mid and high 300's today, but I am going to remain on course a few days and see what happens, not sweating it out too much (which is unusual to me), she at least seems to be a bit more upbeat today. I have no doubt her numbers will stabilize quicker on Lantus, and if for some reason it does not the fine folks here will help me figure out why and have a solution. (-:

11. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

My former vet put Squallie on Vetsulin and, after 9 months of it, he had not shown a whole lot of improvement. Since that vet argued about everything regarding Squallie's diabetes treatment, I didn't even ask, just took it upon myself to make the switch to Lantus; best decision I ever made. Then I changed vets, and he was already on Lantus when we started at the new practice; that vet was/is just fine with him being on Lantus. :cat:

Bryan & Princess likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.