Private feeder enclosure.... Update

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Jane & Boo (GA), Aug 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jane & Boo (GA)

Jane & Boo (GA) Member

Because I have several other house cats, I can't use an auto feeder to dole out mid-cycle food to Boo when I'm not at home. Someone here at the forum suggested using a chip reading, SureFlap cat door to give Boo private access to an area that none of the other cats can get to. DH was not happy about me installing a cat door into one of our interior house doors so I built an enclosure that compliments our decor and installed the SureFlap door into it. It's big enough to hold the PetSafe feeder while giving her room to enter and exit. It looks great and, in theory, it's ideal.... but, getting her to use it is going to take a lot of training. So far my civvies love going in and out of it, but Boo.... not so much. But... I didn't think she would ever tolerate ear pricks and we got through that. Now I expect that this too shall pass. Wish me luck!
    IMG_0488.JPG

2. Madrona and Leda (GA)

Madrona and Leda (GA) Well-Known Member

What an elegant solution! Hope Boo falls in love with it soon.

3. Jane & Boo (GA)

Jane & Boo (GA) Member

Another pic showing the door open. This allows me the ability to get the food dispenser in and out.

IMG_0491.JPG

4. Jane & Boo (GA)

Jane & Boo (GA) Member

Thanks!! And hubby is happy too! :cat:

Madrona and Leda (GA) likes this.
  5. Kathy and TiTi

Kathy and TiTi Well-Known Member

What a clever solution. Ahh Boo's a calico. Well, they are bright, cranky about change, and (at least all of mine were) eccentric. My vet describes it differently - Krazy Kats! Lol. She'll come along.

6. Megan and Boots (GA)

Megan and Boots (GA) Member

A great solution and a beautiful build!

Jane & Boo (GA) likes this.
  7. Jane & Boo (GA)

Jane & Boo (GA) Member

Hahaha.... you've got Boo described to the letter!! :joyful::joyful:

Kathy and TiTi likes this.
  8. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Love it Jane!! It looks great.

I'm sure Boo will get used to it eventually, once she realizes all her yummy food is in there.

9. Jane & Boo (GA)

Jane & Boo (GA) Member

This is as far as we've gotten. She wants nothing to do with the flap yet.
    IMG_0493.JPG

Gill & George likes this.
  10. Jane & Boo (GA)

Jane & Boo (GA) Member

Once I get her used to going into the box through this big door, I'll close it and prop the flap open and let her get used to going in through the smaller opening. Assuming that she gets used to the smaller opening, I'll then work with her to teach her to stick her head in, activate the door release, and push the flap open. That one could take a while. When I ask her to do something different in her routine, I get a very clear look from her that says... "Really?!?!?... you must be joking!".

11. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

What a great job on the enclosure. Just how does the chip work?

12. Jane & Boo (GA)

Jane & Boo (GA) Member

The flap has a battery powered latch which is programmed to read an embedded chip that so many pets have now. When the cat sticks their head into the opening, there is a little window within the opening that reads the embedded chip. If the chip reader recognizes the chip as one that is allowed to enter, then it releases the latch and lets the cat through then locks the door behind them so other pets can't follow them in. Boo doesn't have an embedded chip yet, so I got one from SureFlap that attaches to a collar and serves the same purpose. Here is a link to SureFlap's website. They also have a lidded dish now that functions on the same principle. That didn't exist when I bought the SureFlap pet door... otherwise I may have gotten that instead.

13. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Very cool! Wishing you and Boo luck with the learning curve. If Boo is as food driven as Bubba, she will catch on ASAP!

14. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

15. Kathy and TiTi

Ahahaha. I know that look. I love calicos. Your step by step procedure sounds perfect. It takes time, but she'll do it eventually.

16. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

What a lovely enclosure!!

Now you just have to convince Boo that it's actually a very exclusive gourmet restaurant that only very special kitties get to eat at!!

17. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

That's very cool Jane - you did a great job building that little enclosure. You'll have to let us know how it works in a couple of weeks. I think it sounds like you've got a great plan for getting her used to it. Nicely done!

18. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

Oooh, that is just lovely! You are quite skilled, Jane! Careful, or you may have members lining up to order one for their kitties!

Your plan for getting Boo used to it sounds great. Keep us posted on how it goes!

19. Jane & Boo (GA)

Jane & Boo (GA) Member

Hmmmmm.... maybe I'll be able to quit my day job!:smuggrin:

20. Kathy and TiTi

I have 4 cats in the master bedroom, including TiTi, Your solution is masterful, and you're obviously a good carpenter. May I ask how you created this food enclosure ?

21. Anne & Zener GA

Anne & Zener GA Well-Known Member

Wow, that is amazing! One of our cats was quite pleased with herself when she learned to go through a flap. :joyful:
    Liz

22. Erica & Carter

Erica & Carter Well-Known Member

That's so neat! Would be handy for my 3 cats.

23. Jane & Boo (GA)

Jane & Boo (GA) Member

I started with the plans locate here, scaled it to the size I wanted, and then customized it to suit my taste (ie, the oak spindles and aluminum mesh sides). I used top grade pine. I made it with the 4 sides and roof (no floor). I stained and varnished it after it was fully assembled. It doesn't require a lot of skill. If you can operate a drill and a chop saw, you can build this with ease. I wasn't looking forward to making all of the spindles that the plans call for so was thrilled when I found the oak spindles at Lowes. The decorative aluminum mesh came from Hobby Lobby.

24. Kathy and TiTi

That's amazing. Thank you.
    How's it going with Boo and enclosure?

25. Jane & Boo (GA)

Jane & Boo (GA) Member

She is now entering and exiting through the small SureFlap door, but it's propped open so she doesn't have to push against it. Once it looks like she's comfortable with this step, I'll gradually start to lower the flap so she gets used to it being there and gradually learns that there will be a certain amount of effort needed to get through it. I expect that this process may take some time. The good news is that she's not a fearful cat... she's just pig headed. She's also very smart, so once she accepts that there is a method to my madness, she'll progress pretty quickly. As of last night she started going to the enclosure after her ear poke to get her treat instead of going to where we used to do it. For me, that was a big step. Are you going to build one for TiTi?

26. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

That is so cool. You did a great job. I hope the training keeps progressing and works out so Boo can have her food without the other cats getting it.

27. Kathy and TiTi

Not now. but I've saved the instructions you gave me and bookmarked the official instructions. I want to do it outdoors, and that means around november december in Texas, that is unless you wish to commit "sunicide".

28. Jane & Boo (GA)

Jane & Boo (GA) Member

Boo has this all figured out now. After gradually lower the door little by little to get her used to the "resistance", it was time to teach her how to push it open from it's locked position. It took less than 5 minutes to get her to understand that she would need to push it to get it to open. In fact now when she hears the phrase "push it" she goes to the box, pushes her way through the door, then patiently waits for a yum yum. Now I need to figure out how to let her know that she needs to go there when she feels like she needs food due to low sugar. Given how smart she is, I'm sure she'll figure this out too in quick order. The hard part might be for me to figure out how much food to have the timer dispense and how often to dispense it. I don't want to have her eating all day, but I don't want there to not be enough food that she can't get herself out of trouble if her glucose drops. Any advise?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.