Probable neuropathy + Elevated potassium

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Prescott's friend, Apr 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prescott's friend

Prescott's friend New Member

Last night I looked for methyl b12 in nearby drugstores - they only had cherry flavor but I got it thinking I'll mix it up in the coconut oil/ cbd that he likes. So i chopped it up and gave him a bit just to see if he could taste it.
    Brought Prescott to the ER around 6A today. When my alarm went off I went to the kitchen, and found him laying on his side, wet from his urine - front right leg looked like it was dislocated, so I assumed he slipped and twisted in the wrong direction. Tested BG to make sure it wasn't hypo - he was at 739, so no.
    He's pretty alert but shivering the whole way to the vet.
    ER vet tells us his temperature was "too low to read" and he has "life-threateningly high levels of potassium". We're trying to get a little more out of her, but again I'm getting the feeling that they're suggesting he's close to too far gone, and the words they start using are we "should consider the long term goals"...implying they would "end his suffering" as they'd say.
    From original vet Prescott was on a 5 day dose of Prazosin to loosen his urethra but he hasn't gone near his litter in almost two weeks, so we know there's issues but attempting to look into alternative or holistic therapies.
    Around 630p I get a voicemail that he's doing a bit better - meowing at them and moving around - and that I can call to discuss surgical options if I want to. They are suggesting a surgery to widen his urethra, and telling us we'll have to assist his urination for the rest of his life.
    I'm almost ready to throw in the towel with these vets! Back and forth. What are they trying to pull?

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

How is he today?

3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Omg how scary!

4. JanetNJ

Maybe get a second opinion before making a decision. My childhood cat needed a new urethral hole made and he didn't need help peeing afterward

5. Prescott's friend

Also yesterday vet tells me she does not recommend methyl-b12 because "it won't do anything", so I definitely want a second opinion, or at least I'm going to put my foot down with these folks.
    We went to visit him last night and all he did was purr in our laps, then they took him to put him "back on fluids" and he starts yelling. I know he doesn't want to be there.

6. Prescott's friend

We don't know yet. He spent the night in the hospital.
    They were wrong before, so now I expect them to be wrong again.

7. JanetNJ

You don't need a perscription for b12. Just order zobaline from Amazon. If she thinks it won't help that's fine, but it certainly can't hurt

8. PussCatPrince - GA

PussCatPrince - GA Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry you are having to go through all of this and I do hope that Prescott pulls through.

Re B12 . It will do good. I know this coz of my Tyler.
    Tyler will eat the cherry flavoured ones. I powder them with the folic acid and sprinkle and mix into his food. He is fine with that. I cannot get Zobaline here in New Zealand.

@Marje and Gracie because she is a guru.

Prescott's friend likes this.
  9. Prescott's friend

Thank you all.

Going to pick up Prescott from the hospital. I feel like I shouldn't have brought him there in the first place now ...like if he was going to pass maybe I could have taken time off of work and stayed home with him, rather than letting vets tell me what surgery they think he needs.
    Now they're having us sign an "against medical advice" form - to "cover their asses" * direct quote *.

10. JanetNJ

Best wishes. Don't forget to get a copy of a the lab reports. You can post the labs here for folks to see. Also there's a Facebook group called Cats with multiple medical conditions. One of the administrators is a vet and may be able to offer an opinion.

11. JL and Chip

JL and Chip Well-Known Member

Did you check the package of cherry flavored b12 to see if there are any ingredients that are toxic to cats?

What was the diagnosis at the ER? Did he have a urinary blockage?

When you talk about neuropathy, do you mean neuropathy of his legs or bladder? (Bladder neuropathy is apparently known to occur in human diabetics and we found out too late that it might have been at play with my acrocat Tubby).

I had a cat who had multiple urinary blockages. It becomes life threatening quite quickly (think hours, not days). His body temp dropped to 94 degrees, kidney values skyrocketed ... He was close to death when we got to the ER. We discussed surgery but it turned out that wouldn't solve his particular problem. I've been expressing his bladder every day for upwards of 10 years now (he can no longer pee on his own). If that's what your cat experienced, then you have a lot to consider as a surgery might save his life as well as improve quality of life.

I am not at all clear what is happening with your cat (perhaps multiple things) but in my experience there is usually a pretty good reason they make you sign an "against medical advice" form, and sometimes it comes down to a misunderstanding about the situation. Again, can you clarify the diagnosis as well as what treatment they were recommending? Something just doesn't make sense.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
  12. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I would also be concerned that the B12 you got with cherry is toxic. I agree with Janet that the best B12 for neuropathy is the zobaline. We’ve seen a lot of kitties on this board with neuropathy that has completely turned around once the zobaline was started and kitty became regulated.

Sounds like they are talking about perineal urethrostomy? I would get a second opinion as quickly as possible because if he’s blocked even for a day, it’s extemely serious and can be life threatening. I’ve had two friends whose cats had to have this and they did fantastic. Neither required any ongoing bladder expression, etc. But, as the situation can vary from cat to cat, it’s best to find out what specific treatment he needs. Perhaps you want to take him to a board certified surgeon.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
    JanetNJ likes this.
  13. Prescott's friend

Thank you.
    Diagnosis is bladder neuropathy.
    I believe they suggested perineal urethostomy, but it's over 3K and I wont have that for a couple weeks. Also they said there is a chance it might not work or the anesthesia might hurt him.

14. Prescott's friend

they also suggested a permanent catheter, similar price range.
    He's resting in my lap right now. Not able to express yet today ...:(

15. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

sending prayers.... I don't want to sound kookoo but my shop cat had had dangerously low potassium and off the charts BUN Creat and potassium, temp dropping stage 4 KI failure(this all happened within 24 hours) -3 vets told me any time is the right time to PTS but she was fighting.
    I was referred to a homeopathic vet in Florida and I am pleased to say she is still fighting and with some supportive care she continues to get stronger. I know is different situation...my decision was as long as she fights I will fight. I also took advantage of care credit:rolleyes:. If you would like his info PM me.
    That being said I am aware that if it becomes too much for her I will not let her suffer.

They sure do snuggle right into our hearts:cat:

JanetNJ likes this.
  16. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I never heard of bladder neuropathy. If there is not a physical problem with the urethra then you should be able to manually express the bladder. If there is a physical problem like scaring the manual expressing the bladder may not be possible and either a permanent catheter or PU surgery would be necessary. My Lightening had to have two PU surgeries to prevent blocking. Seems his urethra was damaged by urinary crystals.

17. Prescott's friend

Was able to manually express some today. He is super wobbly on his back legs but still somewhat interested in water and food, so I'm carrying him around.

He's fighty and tougher than I am for sure. I've just been crying.
    We're in MA so going to see if a holistic vet in Salem is available tomorrow or ask animal rescue league for advice.

18. Prescott's friend

So, the exact words from the vet are "urinary obstruction secondary to his neurologic bladder"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.