Problems for Goofy in Belize

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by DJL, Mar 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DJL

DJL New Member

About a month ago, my cat Goofy was diagnosed as diabetic. We live in Belize, where the range of vet services and supplies is much more limited than in North America. I have confidence in his vet, but we have been unable to find suitable insulin for him either here in Belize or in nearby Mexico. The vet prescribed "Ultralente", which I see on the website has been discontinued elsewhere, but which may still be sold here in the south, I don't know. But in any case, we have not been able to identify any source of slow acting insulin in this part of the world. Any advice for either accessing insulin or for helping Goofy in general would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

I would go to a human pharmacy and get a list of what they have or can make available. Then I would go to the petdiabetes wiki's section on insulins and research my options.

There's most likely an ultralente human insulin available there. Maybe talk with your own doctor and see what s/he uses for her/his own diabetic patients.

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Ultralente was a very good insulin for kitties. My Mitten is still on it since I stockpiled it when Lilly stopped making it years ago. However, the last vial is almost empty and I will have to switch.

4. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

what part of belize are you located? belize city or one of the outer islands?

5. Gia and Quirk

Gia and Quirk Member

Check the ultralente expiration date. I think there is still an ultralente being made, perhaps in Europe, perhaps in South America. Let us know the name of the manufacturer. In any case, ultralente is a fine choice, as Larry said. When it was still being made by Eli Lilly here in the states it was an excellent choice, for cats.

6. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

My vial of Lilly's Ultralente expired Jan 2007 but still works fine. Those insulins really lasted.

7. DJL

DJL New Member

For the question about where we are located, we're in Belize City. Thanks for your responses so far...any other help or advice is most appreciated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.