Prowl Cat Food: Want to Write Them?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA, Mar 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA Well-Known Member

I also wrote to the Honest Kitchen. They make a line really nice dehydrated raw foods and my dog eats a couple of them. Their cat formula, Prowl, is too high in carbs though. SO I wrote them and got a reply. It's below. Since they say they are coming up with a new cat formulation, maybe if enough people wrote them... You can contact them through their site.

I wrote:

Hi,

I feed my small dog your Force and Thrive and he positively loves it. We feel really good about the quality and the health benefits of those foods.

I also have two cats. One of them has been diagnosed with Diabetes and after several months working with a fantastic group online that helps you go through the Tilly protocol for insulin administration and diet change, we have gotten him into remission and he is now off insulin and diet controlled.

I wanted to start feeding him Prowl and when I did the calculation of percentage of calories that come from protein, fat and carbohydrates, I was very disappointed. I
    calculated 27% protein (low), 57% fat (high) and 16% carbs (high).

Since carbs in cat food above a MAXIMUM level of 10% are not suitable for cats, I wonder why your Prowl formula isn't designed for cat health.

I will tell you that if your product were under 10% (5 or 6% even better) carbs, and if the protein and fat were more equally balanced, you could corner the market for diabetic cats and for people interested in preventing diabetes in cats. Right now, there are few alternatives, and one of them seems to have changed their formula, leading to some possible issues.

Do you have any plans to release such a product in the future? I wish you would, because Prowl right now is not good for cats.

Thanks!

Lydia Theys

They replied

Dear Lydia,

Many thanks for your email. We really appreciate your input and while we have a number of holistic vets who recommend Prowl (and very many cats who are thriving on it), we will certainly bear your comments in mind when we commence work on our next cat food formulation a little later this year!

Best regards,

Lucy

The Honest Kitchen, Inc.

www.thehonestkitchen.com

145, 14th Street, San Diego, California, 92101

Tel: (619) 450 2829 (direct) Fax: (619) 544 0370

The Honest Kitchen’s nutritional products are not intended to diagnose, cure or prevent disease. Our online and printed material are for informational purposes only and do not replace the expert care and advice provided by your veterinarian. Dietary and other healthcare changes should be made under the guidance of your vet, particularly when underlying health conditions exist.

2. Deanie and Boo (GA) and Scout

Deanie and Boo (GA) and Scout Well-Known Member

This part isn't true and I certainly wouldn't have included it.

3. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

I don't think there is a simple "isn't true" to this. From my readings and looking into the profile of feline prey, this is what I have taken away. Of course, if you write or wrote, you can or could say something different.

4. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I agree with Deanie, it does not really do much good to make a blanket statement regarding max 10% carbs without substantiating it. SO you are saying the 10.1% is not suitable?

5. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Larry--That's silly. By that argument, there is no cutoff for anything. It was a letter, not a scientific paper.

If you don't agree with what I've said, don't write them. I really don't need to be condescended to.

6. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

I think the point is that 10% is a relatively arbitrary number and that the way you've written it makes it appear more written in stone...your overall point is good however and it is great that you've done this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.