Prozinc Dosing 4 Bear the unpredictable

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Bear & Lora, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Bear & Lora

Bear & Lora Well-Known Member

@MrWorfMen's Mom @Djamila @Kris & Teasel @Rachel

I don't have a clue what just happened to Bear's BG?

He just jumped from Blue to Red in two hours and his +7 436BG wasn't food influenced.

I'm feeding him because he about ate my hand when i fed him chicken treats at testing.

Any ideas from experience as to what is going on??

2. Bear & Lora

436BG was the 2nd test because the first was 486BG and I thought it had to be wonky.

Djamila likes this.
  3. Bear & Lora

@MrWorfMen's Mom @Djamila @Kris & Teasel @Rachel

So I read online that in human diabetes that if you don't eat your blood sugar can go up. The liver releases glucose to fuel the body. I would guess it is the same for felines?

I wonder if Bear's recent ketone problem and huge decrease in nutrients during that time are aspects of this large spike in BG? Possibly because his body needs more nutrients and is sensitive to being on a empty stomach?

I just am lost and a bit scared at the unpredictably of Bear's BG.

4. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

My guess is that he is bouncing and he has quite the trampoline. He hasn't seen a blue for a few days and his little system probably went WHOA! what's going on! Feeding him is fine. If he is that hungry part of that BG might be hunger stress. Took me forever to figure out that was sometimes an issue with my girl.
    It's one number...don't panic. He's bound to be a little wonky as his system re-adjusts to the extra food etc.

Djamila and Bear & Lora like this.
  5. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Well that is odd. Not sure what is happening, but looking over what his norm is, I'd have to assume it's just a one off. Sometimes we get weird numbers like that during a cycle. It could be anything...might have found some contraband somewhere, could be feeling stressed out by something, could be overly excited...we call that "oh look a squirrel" syndrome! Basically it means something probably happened to make him feel excited or stressed out (like seeing a squirrel) or something and we don't know what...it can cause BG to go up like that. I wouldn't worry yet. Give it a bit of time and let's see what his PMPS is.

Djamila and Bear & Lora like this.
  6. Bear & Lora

@MrWorfMen's Mom @Rachel

Ok, I will work on calm. Bear's whole ketone experience has got me very jumpy. The Techs at the front desk at the vets couldn't find Bear's name because the vet has him on the critical list. Yep, just a bit jumpy.

7. MrWorfMen's Mom

Yeah that would do it to you!:arghh: Deep breathes! He's eating, had better BG this afternoon and ketones have gone down. Just keep checking him for ketones and if he shows even a trace, then monitoring needs to be more intense making sure he stays well hydrated and nourished and he's getting enough insulin. You caught it this time, he's on the mend and now you are that much more aware of how to deal with it so you can be pro-active at keeping ketones at bay.

Bear & Lora and Djamila like this.
  8. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Oh Lora! Sending you so many hugs right now!!! :bighug::bighug::bighug: Yes to all of those options listed above. With the main point being try to not worry about it too much. It's hard not to focus on each number as it's own thing, but it's really important to keep a wide angle lens and look at the whole picture.

And by the way, great job getting a second test when that first one seemed weird! When I started reading down the thread "wonky test strip" was what I was hoping for. Alas, it sounds like it's a valid test, but it could be any number of causes, so for now, deep breaths and focus on how he's doing overall, not just the number on the meter.

For example, you said he practically ate your hand off. Just a couple of days ago, he wouldn't eat at all. That's HUGE progress!

MrWorfMen's Mom and Bear & Lora like this.
  9. Bear & Lora

Bear 10-04-18 (1).jpg "Looking so much better! His choice of a place to rest is somewhat out of the ordinary though." :)

10. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Bear is so very handsome, and yeah, that's a weird place. But it seems like they like being weird at least once in awhile, right?:cat:

Bear & Lora likes this.
  11. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

What a handsome boy! :D

Bear & Lora likes this.
  12. MrWorfMen's Mom

Bear is looking great! I love those eyes! He's such a handsome boy!:bighug::bighug:

Bear & Lora likes this.
  13. MrWorfMen's Mom

Checked in a bit earlier and saw that 61! WOW! At that time I really thought he would bounce up higher so seeing that 152 now is really a very pleasant surprise. Now that said, as wonderful as those numbers are, I know exactly what you are feeling when you can't be there to monitor closely.

Stalling - If you test Bear and his BG is below 200 at pre-shot, don't feed him and wait 15-20 minutes and test again to see if he is rising on his own without any food in the picture. You can stall up to an hour total or 3 stalls keeping in mind what that stalling is going to do to your schedule going forward. This is when you have to balance out both Bear's needs with what you are able to do.

Given the cycle he's had so far, I don't see the need for any increase in his insulin. Right now his cycle is beautiful. Now we just have to see what he does between +10 and pre-shot.

OHOHOHOH! just saw your last post ...well I guess I'll eat my words now! Well some of them. He has bounced and he's quite the trampoline master. I still wouldn't increase his dose. He's bouncing from that drop of 171 points. Better to let him run a bit flatter to bring those pre-shots down so I think I'd hold the dose for now. I might even try dropping it to 1.5u as long as he is still negative for ketones to see if that keeps the drop a little more moderate as that should bring down the pre-shot numbers.

The change from high carb to a mix of high and low which would be equivalent to medium probably had something to do with those numbers. With the DKA you don't want kitty going low because it's hard to get enough food into them to keep them from crashing. As long as Bear is eating, that is not such a concern. But if you won't be able to monitor as closely in the next week or so, then keeping him at reasonable levels is still an important consideration.

Let's see what he does at pre-shot because he's been known to pull some fast ones on us! :rolleyes:

14. Bear & Lora

Oh Linda, what a mess he seems to be. :) I guess you got to see those posts before I deleted them. I deleted them because I thought I sounded a little crazy.

I want a nice medium ground, no loss of weight, no high numbers, no low numbers. Bear just doesn't seem to have a middle ground. Yellow would be great with a few blues mixed in. I fed him low carb before shot just in case he dropped to fast after hi insulin. he only ate 0.4 ounces not quite a half an ounce.

What do you think I should do next at a +2 or+3? I usually feed him right before I go to bed which can be either the +2 or+3.

15. Bear & Lora

Linda as far as Bear is concerned he would eat more than half a can at one meal if it had the word gravy in the description. I thought that could be why he was going in the red. He was total low carb then I moved him to almost all high carb trying to follow the instructions on post DKA the best I could.

16. MrWorfMen's Mom

Dang time differences....I see that red WAS Bear's pre-shot. I was thinking it was his +11. Oh well. Bounces can last a few cycles and unfortunately they are just part of this dance. I'd feed him low carb at whichever time suits you best and get a test before bed to see what he's up to. He is not a mess. He's being a cat. You are still very new at this and anxious to see him regulated. We all want that but this is a marathon not a sprint and Bear is leading this dance. Your job is to learn his steps and follow.

I'd stick to low carb unless you see his numbers falling or you want to be sure they don't fall too much when you are not going to be there to monitor. Then it becomes a judgement call as to whether to feed medium or high carb. I'd avoid the high carb except when numbers are low and dropping.

Now you realize of course that with you deleting your posts, I look like I am just talking up a storm for no reason. :p:woot::woot: Your post made sense to me and didn't sound crazy at all.

17. Bear & Lora

LMAO!!!!! You gave me a full belly laugh. That was great! I so needed that.

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  18. Bear & Lora

Honestly right now I just want Bear to be safe as he can possibly be while I can't monitor him. What is safe for post DKA, yellows and pinks, definitely not greens or reds, right?

19. MrWorfMen's Mom

Since you have a busy week ahead and won't be able to monitor as closely, I think you can consider dropping his dose to 1.5u if his pre-shot BG is down and/or leaving out higher carb food for him to eat in your absence. If you don't have a feeder, you can freeze some food in ice cube trays and leave it out so it stays fresh and melts gradually for Bear to eat as he sees fit.

He is getting a significant drop at times but not consistently and I think some of that is bouncing. Some kitties are bouncers. Kris's Teasel has a medal! Hopefully Kris and Djamila will chime in with their suggestions and we find a way to get stop Bear from beating Teasel out of his prize! ;)

20. MrWorfMen's Mom

Lora, nice blues and greens would be totally safe post DKA and in fact they would be preferable however, Bear isn't there yet. Admittedly I don't like the reds but then he isn't spending long periods in red so that is good. Pinks are Ok but ideally I think the goal should be to get Bear to yellow pre-shots and nice blue mid-cycle numbers for now. That said, if he starts out pink and drops to yellow instead of all the way to blue or green, that would be a step in the right direction too.

The problem with these critters is that they are so used to being high numbers, their panic button goes off prematurely. The only way to get the numbers under control is to try to nudge them down rather than hammering them. That's why sometimes a little less insulin works better than more.

21. Bear & Lora

@Kris & Teasel @Djamila

You know since I deleted the two posts with Kris &Djamila tagged they probably wouldn't be alerted that we need some input. :)

I don't know if you noticed but you probably have, I upped Bear's insulin .25 after his ketones were negative thinking I was following post DKA correctly.

Then I thought since I can't monitor regularly at this time instead of going up another .25 I would try to steer him down a bit with food since he is eating great.

I must have went overboard somehow or I am just too new to understanding these nuances of BG. I thought I was following the instructions correctly, but maybe not.

That is why I feel a bit crazy/confused like up is down and down is up.

22. Bear & Lora

So I am glad you said something about going down on dosage since on my own if I could find some time to monitor I probably would have went up the .25 and went back to feeding him all high carb foods.

I thought I had a brain in my head but I am starting to wonder....

23. MrWorfMen's Mom

Simple equation.....less carbs will need less insulin. More carbs will need more insulin. So with the DKA, we suggested high carbs to get calories into Bear and adjusted insulin to suit so his body would get more nutrition out of the food he was taking in and stop producing ketones. Now that he is eating well on his own and ketones are negative, you can stick to low carb foods which means his insulin needs may also decrease. The bouncing blurs the picture so it's a bit of a guessing game but we'll figure him out.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  24. Bear & Lora

Thank you Linda for giving me stability! So your advice is when I give him his last meal for the night at +3 his food should be low carb if his numbers are higher (300+)? If his numbers are lower say in the 200's then I should feed him higher carb food? If his numbers are lower than 200 I should feed him higher and retest in an hour?

Just pretend I am mentally challenged this time around. I got a bit of disturbing news from mom's cardiologist today and I think my brain really is in low gear.

25. MrWorfMen's Mom

Oh Lora, I am so sorry to hear about your Mom. I know only too well how muddled family stuff like that can leave us. You have a lot on your plate so be kind to yourself. When's the last time you treated yourself to some special chocolate or other special treat?

I would judge what to give Bear based on how much he has dropped in comparison to where he started the cycle rather than the actual reading unless of course he throws you another lower green number. Unless Bear is dropping fast or a lot (100 points in first 2 or 3 hours post shot) I'd stick to low carb. If he drops more than 100 points then some medium carb should slow him down and hopefully level him off. If he drops something crazy like 300 points, then high carb. Hope that makes sense. If not, holler. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Kris & Teasel and Bear & Lora like this.
  26. Bear & Lora

I have been grabbing chocolate every time I go to the pharmacy or the store, lol. I think they call that emotional eating.

I did get to watch a rented movie this weekend, first time in months. Sounds silly but it was a huge treat for me.
    What I really miss is reading. When I go by books in the store I am hungry for one, but I know better. I can read fiction books really fast but I can hardly put a book down once I start reading usually a three hour stint for me.

You make total sense. Thank you again for being there for us.

27. Kris & Teasel

I'm so glad Linda was around to help and I'm sorry your worries about your mom have increased. Life is really tough at times and looking after a diabetic kitty makes it extra challenging.

Linda has given you good advice on how to feed Bear. Hang in there! Your knowledge level and decision making skills WILL get better over time. :bighug:

28. Djamila

Hmmmm.....as far as dosing. I agree that you don't want to raise right now, but I'm not sure I would lower either. I think I'd hold steady at the 1.75 and see if he gets another big drop like yesterday. He's likely to sit higher and flatter for a few days after that, so I don't really want to lower the insulin while he's raised his own BG for a few cycles.

I missed the deleted posts though, so I'm not sure if there was something about your schedule that I needed to know? I see Linda referred to a busy week. If you're still able to get two mid-cycles like you've been doing, I think I'd stick with 1.75 though, and then we can talk about reducing if he does it again.

29. Djamila

30. Kris & Teasel

My mistake for not commenting on that. This is a tough call because Bear is a kitty that will throw a low dark green the odd time but it's not a regular pattern. He's done it at 1.5 u and again at 1.75 u. He's also very volatile. I'd be inclined to keep 1.75 u for another few cycles to see what happens.

31. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I agree. I think I’d stick with 1.75 if he was mine.

32. MrWorfMen's Mom

@Djamila You are right. Lora is concerned about not being able to test as often this week due to medical issues with her Mom. It's this probable lack of monitoring as well as Bear's propensity to drop suddenly for no apparent reason followed by huge bounces that made me even consider suggesting lowering the dose a bit. I thought it might be a viable option to possibly flatten him out a bit and give Lora a bit more peace of mind until his pattern of activity becomes more consistent or at least more predictable when she can't monitor as much.

33. Kris & Teasel

Good point, Linda!

34. Djamila

While this is stressful, it's also somewhat inevitable with prozinc. It just doesn't get as flat and stable as the L's do. And responding to each drop with lowering the dose makes it hard to make much progress. That being said, there isn't just one "right" way to do this. My preference is to hold the dose and see what happens. Either the drops will happen more often, and then a reduction might be needed, or the pre-shots start to come down (which is ideal), or Bear mostly stays higher and actually shows that he needs an increase. Because prozinc tends to be less stable, I think it's best to respond more slowly to single cycle numbers, and look at the broader patterns instead.

Just my 2 cents. I know I tend to get less stressed about lower numbers than a lot of people, and I absolutely respect if it's just too much anxiety.

35. Bear & Lora

@MrWorfMen's Mom @Djamila @Rachel @Kris & Teasel

We had a black BG this morning. I am not panicking. I'm trying to keep a reasonable reaction.

Is this a possible reason to up his dosage, or is this a hang tight and see what happens for a day or so?

I will be leaving in a few minutes and will be gone till mid to late afternoon.

I'm fully open to experienced knowledge.

What do you guys think?

36. MrWorfMen's Mom

He dropped to the blues last night and it's possible he went even lower. I am not the most experienced with ProZinc by any means but I am still not convinced it wouldn't be worth trying to back off a tad to 1.5u to try to stop those major bounces. It's easy to get carried away increasing every time pre-shot numbers go up but if the dose is already a little high given his carb intake has decreased recently, it may just set up a perpetual bounce/increase/bounce situation. Let's see what Kris and Djamila think about this.

ETA: With that drop of almost 200 points so far today, I'd leave a little medium or high carb food out just to give him something to munch on should he still be dropping at all.

Bear & Lora likes this.
  37. Kris & Teasel

I would leave the dose as is for now. It's the low numbers you need to give more weight to. I understand Linda's thinking about trying a small decrease to see if it lessens the height of the bounces but I'm no sure that's the way to go.

DKA can leave them more unstable for quite a while afterward. That could be part of the reason. Bear might do better if you decide to try a depot insulin once you're past the post DKA upset.

Bear & Lora likes this.
  38. Djamila

Yikes on the 548. :blackeye:. I agree that you're seeing some bouncing, but my inclination would be to hold the dose through it unless you get a number that forces an adjustment (lime green). Prozinc can be bouncy enough without moving the dose around, and as Kris mentioned, DKA can contribute to that as well. I certainly woulndn't be upset if you decided to lower, as an argument can be made for that approach. There are a few ways to do just about anything around here, and holding the dose steady is my preference, but certainly not the only way to do it.

What I've found from studying the history of viewable spreadsheets around here is that the bounce is nearly unavoidable. Lowering the dose does stabilize things, but then the numbers are too high. And when you try the increase the next time, the bouncing is going to happen at that point anyway. So if there is a bean who can monitor and not suffer from too much bounce-anxiety, my inclination is to just hold tight and let the kitty ride it out. I do understand how stressful this dance is for the human - I had my own little melt-down yesterday - so when I suggest a reduction through a bounce, it's usually more in care of the person than the kitty. And that's absolutely fine when it needs to happen that way. If we aren't taking care of ourselves in this process, we soon enough won't be doing any good for the kitty anyway.

This is cycle 4 since the green, so if things don't stabilize by cycle 6, we can definitely reconsider. And again, Lora, you need to feel comfortable with the decision and we will always always support you no matter what you decide. There are guidelines and trends, but there are no hard and fast rules or commandments around here. And the longer back you read in the archives, the more you'll see how thinking here shifts and changes over time. So whatever way you want to go, we'll be here. :bighug:

39. MrWorfMen's Mom

Lora, something I don't think any of us have touched on is just how Bear's demeanour is at this point in time. Sometimes we get so caught up in numbers that we forget to think about how our cat's are acting in comparison to their usual behaviours and behavioural changes can be very telling too. If Bear was a cuddly cat, is he still cuddly? Does he sleep more than usual now? Is he still preening as usual? Does he appreciates your attention as he usually would? All these things should also factor into any suggestions/decisions made about how to proceed.

Djamila likes this.
  40. Bear & Lora

@MrWorfMen's Mom @Djamila @Kris & Teasel

Thank you so much for all your input. Bear's BG was in the low yellow today. I fed him half low carb 5% & half high 13%. I stayed with 1.75 as I will be home all day and can monitor him, plus the bounces with Prozinc & DKA played a part with the decision to see how this rides out.

My mother was admitted to the hospital yesterday by the Infectious Disease Dr for IV Antibiotics and the good news is even though she is allergic to Penicillin they tested her with a modified synthetic Penicillin and she isn't allergic to it, plus is doing well. The Dr said she can be released soon and continue IV Antibiotics at home. I love my mother with all my heart but I am hoping I can have a few days with a less full plate. Lol.

Linda my mother came to live with us about two years ago basically at deaths door and Bear hasn't received a lot of attention during that time so it is hard to say what has played the bigger role in his improved demeanor, health or more attention. Bear was more of a grumpy cat with small bouts of jump in our laps and love me. Before he was diagnosed he slept a lot under a living-room end table and came out intermittently but when you pet him he wouldn't tolerate that for long. My husband started calling him Grumpy Old Man.

Bear now comes to my feet when I get the chicken treats out and knows it is time for testing. He purrs and head kisses me when I pick him up. He barely complains when i prick him. His eyes follow me all the time, he stays more out in the middle of the floor and most of his grump is gone. His dry skin has improved and he stretches out in happiness when I run my fingers down his back.

I did notice he was irritated when I picked him up and put him on my lap when he tested at that 548BG.

If anyone has any suggestions on the best times to test Bear's BG I am all ears. I know we could use more info on his nightly BG. This weekend I might have more of an opportunity to fit in an additional night test. What time would be best?

41. MrWorfMen's Mom

So what I am hearing is that your little Bear is luxuriating in all the extra attention he is getting these days and that is great! :D A cat who is feeling lousy (or pouting :smuggrin:) will usually be a lot less likely to be affectionate and looking for attention. I think all that sounds like Bear is in good shape. Case in point, he probably did feel off with that 548 the other day and didn't want to be bothered. That is the type of change you need to try to pickup on. Things like whether they are purring, preening, amount of peeing, pooping etc. are all barometers into how kitty is feeling.

As for testing, ProZinc's most active period is usually between +4 and +7 or +8 hours post shot so getting some tests in that time frame should catch his nadir and give some clues as to just how low he is actually going. Nadir's move so random testing gives you a good overview. Catching the odd test outside that timeframe can be useful too albeit not quite as informative.

If you get up at all in the middle of the night for a BR beak, you could snag a test then. Some folks drink extra water before bed so they wake up while others set an alarm. Getting the before bed test is a must for safety sake but any other night mid cycle tests are invaluable because a lot if not most cats have a tendency to go lower at night.

I'm loving that yellow this morning. Let's see if he's finally calming down his trampoline routine!

Bear & Lora and Kris & Teasel like this.
  42. Bear & Lora

@MrWorfMen's Mom

What information does a person want from stalling? Majority of the time Bear has tested (green) I was already planning to feed him before I got his BG.

I am trying to feed him multiple meals daily because Bear is a slow, dainty eater, where as my female cat Squantch (I didn't name her) eats quickly and then starts eyeballing Bear's plate, sometimes trying to push him away so she can have his.
    Bear likes to eat some and take a lick my paws break and then return to his plate multiple times within a 45 minute period.

I know stalling is to see if his BG goes up on it's own. Is stalling mainly for at night to see if the green BG is indicating when the prozinc effect has bottomed out (at maximum strength) and therefore 20 minutes later if it is rising you know that is correct?

I have read through all of Getting Started and am in Education section at this point and I am trying to educate myself but not fast enough.

(Linda), I have two (GREEN) BG numbers on Bear after feeding him one hour ago? I just gave him a gravy meal and will retest in 5 minutes. Not panicking but my adrenaline is a little up.

43. Bear & Lora

44. Bear & Lora

45. MrWorfMen's Mom

First DEEP BREATHES! All is fine.

You did exactly what you should, giving the high carb with the reading at 64. You are handling him great. The stalling is for those times when you test pre-shot and get a reading that is too low to shoot like the 27th of Sept. when he gave you an 87 at pre-shot. The stall means no feeding and retesting 15 minutes later to see if kitty is rising, staying steady or still dropping. If they are rising, you make a decision based on how much they have come up and you can stall about an hour (3 to 4 times) if need be when you want to keep to your regular shot times. Stalling doesn't effect anything but preshots. Any other time you get a low number, you deal with it as dictated by the number.

I love your description of meal time. I have the same problem here except its my diabetic who wolfs down her food and then pushes her brother out of his bowl. I have taken on a new profession at this point.....lunchroom monitor! :rolleyes::banghead::arghh:

46. Bear & Lora

47. MrWorfMen's Mom

Deep breathes! The gravy food has brought him up a bit and you can take a little pokey break and retest in an hour. He is fine and will likely come up a bit more. And no I don't think you are looking at a hypo event. You are monitoring and can control his BG with food. If he drops again at next test, give him a bit of gravy only so you don't fill him up with food. That way if he should stay low, you'll be able to get him to eat when he needs to.

48. MrWorfMen's Mom

The first run of green numbers is always heart stopping. I remember doing circles in my living room holding my own personal firedrill talking to myself between tests with Menace's first green number. Bet I could have won America's Funniest Home Video had someone been filming me! :woot:

Bear & Lora likes this.
  49. Bear & Lora

Ok, not as cool as a cucumber but not too bad. :)

Someone needs to give Bear the memo his mom would like to get used to a few blue colors sometime soon. Lol.

50. MrWorfMen's Mom

Our sweet little kitties all make up their own steps to the sugar dance. None of them it seems, are willing to read the manual and follow the rules! How is Bear acting now? Still hungry?
    Housekeeping so we can keep an eye on you.....can you add the 76 reading to the spreadsheet. If that was at +5 and a quarter or half hour, you can type it in as 76 @ +5.25 or +5.5 in the +5 box under the 64 so it looks like this. Don't pay attention to those strange readings....they're Canadian.

Capture of stacked numbers.PNG

51. Bear & Lora

Ok, see if that looks correct. I guess you lose the green color when you add additional numbers?

52. MrWorfMen's Mom

Ok so I think it should read 64 @ +5 and 76 @ +5.25. Yes, you have to manually colour the box when you put in extra numbers. In this case green. Should you have one green and one blue number for instance, I always used the colour for the lowest reading in the box. Do you know how to manually colour the box? If not I will send instructions.

53. Bear & Lora

I changed the sequence of numbers but I can't seem to space it like yours. No I don't know how to add green. So I know it wasn't an hour since his last poke but the +6 should be around 3:10 according to the shot time.

54. MrWorfMen's Mom

To colour the box with multiple entries, select that box.
    On the toolbar, look for the paint can icon. paint can icon.PNG
    Click on the can and it will drop down a menu of colours. The green will likely be one of the custom colours at the bottom.
    Select the green and voila!

The only thing different is the spacing. Hit the space bar a couple of times between the readings and that will separate them onto a new line.

He is surfing beautifully right now. Go Bear! animated-cat-image-0055.gif

55. Bear & Lora

Check, got the correct spacing now how do I color?

Is that 82BG a bad thing? It isn't much higher than that 76BG after giving Bear a whole ounce of Chkn,Salmon&Gravy.

56. Bear & Lora

Surfing huh?

57. Bear & Lora

I like your kitty surfer, lol. I think I will try to figure out coloring a little later when I feel meditation calmness. :)

58. MrWorfMen's Mom

Surfing in safe greens is the absolutely best thing ever! :D I'd test him again at +7.

Bear & Lora likes this.
  59. Bear & Lora

@MrWorfMen's Mom @Djamila @Kris & Teasel

Soooo Linda, I am fully on board with lowering his insulin. Yesterday (Wednesday) and the day before Bear's diet was fully low carb, today it has been 1/3 high carb and seemed to only make small differences in his BG. I totally get that green numbers are wonderful but if high carb is just keeping him surfing in green, it would seem his insulin dose is too high.

What do you think? I have been wrong in some of my conclusions which I thought were logical at the time because I was reacting to one number instead of the full picture. When that 548 BG came up I automatically thought his insulin dose is too low or he wouldn't have made the black range.

I will be at the hospital part of the day tomorrow and I won't be able to monitor as much.

60. Kris & Teasel

You've hit on the condundrum we all face at some point: do I dose to get his numbers into low dark greens and use food to accomplish that or do I give myself a little breathing room so that I don't have to hover/feed so much? What you decide depends on many things including whether you'll be around to monitor and intervene, what your goals are with respect to regulation, how your kitty tends to respond (moderately versus dramatically), etc.

Rachel and MrWorfMen's Mom like this.
  61. MrWorfMen's Mom

I echo Kris' sentiments totally. It is a bit of dilemma and even more so when Bear hasn't been particularly predictable. This is when I think we all have to consider what our tolerances/ability to monitor are. In the big scheme of things and on the positive side, you got some really good data today and while high carb fed when you got the lower reading, didn't shoot him to the moon, it did keep him surfing beautifully and you only fed him once.

On the other hand, this is his first day of surfing and he may or may not be totally finished with his surprises, so if you are going to be fretting all day tomorrow, I think your wellbeing should be a major consideration in any decision. I think it's safe to say that most if not all of us have had times when we reduced a dose rather than worrying all day.

Why not check him around +9 or +10 and see what he's up to for tonight.

I'm assuming leaving food out is problematic with Squantch (I think that is a very cute original name!)...another thing you need to take into consideration. I always ended up going overboard leaving food out because of my geriatric guy who nibbles, my middle child who immediately capitulates to Menace and Menace who will knock any of her siblings out of their dish if not supervised. :rolleyes:

Rachel and Kris & Teasel like this.
  62. MrWorfMen's Mom

Just checking in to see how you and Bear are doing. :) Looks like he may need a little dose increase.......

Bear & Lora likes this.
  63. Bear & Lora

I was leaning that way myself. The only reason I haven't been asking you about an increase is lately I haven't been home hardly at all and that will continue for a while. I wasn't sure with his panicky liver if an increase would be safe when I am not home to test him. His BG numbers have been less bouncy but do you think a .25 increase could send him bouncing enough to be dangerous to his safety with no one to monitor him? His numbers have stayed predominately pink a few reds and then he starts to throw out a few yellows.

Linda, what do you think?

64. Bear & Lora

I posted the rest of his BG numbers for today.

65. MrWorfMen's Mom

Hi Lora,
    I honestly think that with his current readings, you'd be fine upping the dose to 2u. He does seem to be a little more stable and he hasn't seen a blue or green reading for days. If he's in the red or mid to high pinks at pre-shot, I'd try 2u. If he is lower than that at pre-shot, you can always back the dose down a bit when you know you can't monitor. The problem with leaving him in those high numbers is that he gets used to them and then it gets harder to get them down again. Granted you don't want him pulling any crazy stunts when you are not there but he's got a fair bit of room to drop into better numbers.

I know this is a lot to ask, but is there any way for you to get a later reading during the night cycle say between +5 and +7? It looks to me like he may be going a bit lower at night (a common occurrence) and we're just not seeing it and that is what is giving you the red pre-shots in the AM. If you can get readings in that time frame a couple of times, it might shed more light on what he's up to.:)

66. Bear & Lora

:) I'll do it.

I am hard to go to sleep (usually takes an hour to hour and 30 min.) then I am hard to wake. I know I have some kind of stupid sleep disorder. My son didn't believe me when I told him I followed all his suggestions and they didn't work for me until he actually saw me take melatonin, benadryl, and wine without affect, then 30 minutes later another melatonin and then different combinations the next few nights.

My husband got me a better Fitbit which logs time slept, awake plus the amount of time in the different sleep stages. Sadly it documents that I am abnormal, Lol.

I'll just stay up till the +7.

Let's see what Bear is doing under the cover of night. :)

Do we want a +5, +6 and +7?

67. MrWorfMen's Mom

Ok so I take it you don't wake up to go to the ladies or such at night. That used to be my trick to get those odd hour tests in although I admit, I usually didn't get back to sleep afterward for quite awhile. I really didn't mean for you to stay up ALL NIGHT! and with everything else going on right now, I frankly wish I hadn't asked. You need to get some rest even if it isn't the best. I was really suggesting getting one test at different times over a few nights not even in succession necessarily. You need your rest so just do what you can without making yourself sick or so exhausted you can't function. :bighug::bighug:

68. Bear & Lora

I go to the ladies room 30 to 40 minutes after I get in bed then in 40 minutes to an hour I fall asleep.

In order to get a +7 I will have to stay up. Quite a few times my mother use to get warm wash rags to wipe my face in the mornings in order to wake me up for school once multiple verbal wake up calls didn't work. Now I know why, because on those days I probably was only getting 3 to 4 hours sleep.

By the way +7 isn't all night, lol. I bet I can catch a nap after Bear's shot and go see my mother a little later. No worries a little less sleep for Bear is fine.

69. Bear & Lora

Bear is actually almost +5 because we are two hours later than you.

70. MrWorfMen's Mom

Oh I thought Oklahoma would be central time...only one hour time difference from EST.??? Bear didn't go much lower last night. Interesting. Makes me feel more comfortable about upping his dose a bit.

+7 may not be all night but it's close enough. I feel for you as I know how sleep deprived I got when Menace was dropping down the dosing ladder and I tend to be a bit of a night owl anyway. There were days I had trouble remembering my own name! Eventually I adapted a bit better but I always felt a little muttled and for the first time in my life, started needing afternoon naps.

Have you ever tried valerian root and/or some "sleepy time" tea? Some people swear by them. Never tried them myself but they seemed to help my SIL sometimes and she has major sleep issues.

Bear & Lora likes this.
  71. Bear & Lora

Oklahoma is Central Standard Time. I thought my son who lives in Seattle, Washington said Canada was the same time as Washington which is two hours earlier than Oklahoma. More than likely Canada has different time zones as America does. I haven't really researched Canada much. I once went across the Canadian Border for a short car ride from Michigan when I was a teen. :)

I haven't tried that root or tea and I do love to try things more natural/holistic.

Tonight we upped Bear's dosage to 2 Units and my husband said he will test Bear at +7. I will test him at +4 and +5.

It is now 11:20PM and I can wait till 1:20AM to go to bed. :)

What is your SIL?

72. Bear & Lora

You are right, Eastern Standard Time is one hour later than Oklahoma.

73. MrWorfMen's Mom

"SIL" is short for sister-in-law. Where your son is in Washington and in British Columbia, Canada directly north of him, there is a 2 hours difference between you and them. We have all the same time zones you do, plus an extra that is only a half hour difference for our friends in Newfoundland. Not sure who decided that one but then Newfoundland is a very unique and beautiful place!:)

74. MrWorfMen's Mom

Liking those blues today! Nice colour for Bear! How are you doing Lora? How is your Mom? :)

Bear & Lora likes this.
  75. Bear & Lora

Yes, I was relieved to see a few blues today.

I am doing okay.

Mom had an appointment at her Cardiologist at 6PM and he is going to do her procedure Friday, clearing some plaque/calcium in her left leg arteries, and probably adding a few more stints. Later he will work on her right leg again.

She will finish her IV Antibiotics Wednesday and she is definitely feeling much better.

Thank you for asking. :)

How are things going for you?

76. MrWorfMen's Mom

Status quo here. Menace is holding her remission so I started breathing easier again after testing her earlier today! HAHAHA! Somehow testing her now evokes more trepidation than it did before. But all's good!

If you have any warmer weather to share we'd be delighted to take some. I hate fall and it hasn't been the colourful season it usually is here. But then I haven't yet had to clean up a pile of leaves either so I guess I should be grateful for that delay!

Best of luck for your Mom's procedure on Friday. Hope she continues to improve. Glad Bear is behaving well while you are occupied with your other charges. Please keep us posted.

P.S Met someone else from Oklahoma here today. She is around Norman. If you have a moment for some "me" time you can checkout this post from Laurabb. She and her kitty Nermal would love to meet you. Southern hospitality rocks! :):bighug:

Bear & Lora likes this.