Pumpkin and his journey

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Pumpkin's Mom, Nov 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pumpkin's Mom

Pumpkin's Mom Member

This is the group I never thought I would join. My Pumpkin is 13 and he was diagnosed about 2 months ago. We had taken him to the vet for a check-up because he was having trouble jumping up to the sink - he loves drinking water from the sink. They did x-rays and blood tests. One problem - he HATES going to the vet. I rarely take him. He gets completely stressed out and freaks out. The vet we were using had trouble with him - the previous vet retired. His glucose came out 800++ - off the chart. Apparantly when cats are stressed their blood sugar goes up - did it ever. The vet also broke one of his canines handling him with big suede gloves. I didn't believe the results since he was so stressed but the vet had them run a Fructosamine that supposedly guesses the average over time. It came back high.

The vet tech suggested we change to a cats - only vet - which we did. I read a lot - especially here and bought a glucose tester. He tested at 400 - still high but not even close to what he was at the vet. Anyway, the new vet put him on Lantus and we started slowly. We also switched him away from his beloved Meow Mix to MD food with controlled portions. (Of course my 3 year old cat is along for the ride.)

We inject him twice a day. We started at 2 and are now up to 5. He is getting closer to good. The new vet is very supportive and calls us and even gave us his call number in case we have issues or questions off hours.

He has lost weight and is definitely feeling better. He is even back to wrasling with his buddy Marvel (my other cat). I am hoping to get him to close to normal. We are at 280-297 after the Lantus wears off and before food , and 187-208 after 6 hours. That is on 4. We will test him at 5 in a few days.

We hired the vet tech to give him shots when we were on vacation. She did great after figuring out to tempt him with tuna.

We are learning bit by bit. I have some questions i will post in the other forums.

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Welcome! this is the best place for owners of FD kitties. Lots of advice and support.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.