Punkinhead

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Punkinhead, Dec 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Punkinhead

Punkinhead New Member

Punkinhead & I started on this journey in August when he started losing weight and lying with both paws surrounding his water bowl with his face almost in it. And, bawling like an alley cat. I knew something was wrong. We went to the vet and he spent the next 3 days in the hospital on IV's etc. and diagnosed with feline diabetes. Boy, has life changed.

The 12/12 schedule, injections, he still cries like an alley cat every night when my dog and i go to bed. I'm not sure if he forgets where we are or what's going on but we get up and go out to the living room and let him know we're still here. Why he won't come in on the bed and sleep with us is beyond me but he sleeps on the dog bed at the foot of the sofa. Life has changed.

Until today, I didn't know this community existed. But I'm thrilled to have found you.

2. Jan Radar (GA)

Jan Radar (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome to you and your extra sweet kitty to the best place you never wanted to be. We are glad you found us and will be happy to help you in whatever way we can. Start thinking of your questions and how we can help. Then head over to Feline Health - The Main Forum and post your questions and there are sure to be lots of people who will come along and offer suggestions.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  3. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Another big welcome to you and Punkinhead. The early days can be daunting and overwhelming but we have all sorts of tips and tricks to help make things easier, help get kitty better regulated and cut expenses too.

Just wondering if you have tried taking Punkinhead to bed with you when you turn in? Is he still jumping up on any other higher surfaces or is he staying at ground level all the time now? There is a condition called diabetic neuropathy which causes weakness in the legs, most prominently in the back legs. Some cats will walk on their hocks instead of their toes. The good news is that this usually clears up as the BG gets better regulated and some support with B12 may help speed up healing. It's also possible his potassium levels are off so if his legs are weak, you might want to get the vet to check his potassium levels.

As Jan mentioned above, come join us over on Health HERE and let us know how we can help you out. :)

4. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.