Pure Bites Treats Question + Scale Ordered

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by H.M. Victor (GA), Aug 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. H.M. Victor (GA)

H.M. Victor (GA) Member

I originally posted this in my previous thread about treat suggestions, but since no one seems to have seen it I decided to just make this new one. We decided on Pure Bites since it's available at the Petsmart we usually go to, and I assume it doesn't matter what flavors you get? My mom picked up the Tuna flavor and the Chicken with Catnip, and I just want to make sure those are okay to give :cat:

On another note, I have ordered a scale so we can start keeping track of Victor's weight as well and get him started on the switch to wet food. It should get here by the 8th of this month. I was hoping we could just go to the store and get it so we wouldn't have to wait for it to arrive, but apparently they only sell it online and not in-store, so...oh well. At least it won't be too much longer.

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Those treats are fine. Note the ingredients - it is just meat, and in the case of the one, it includes some catnip.

H.M. Victor (GA) likes this.
  3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Yes to those treats. I buy them for Teasel but haven't tried the catnip version. He likes them a lot.

I'm glad you're getting a scale. It's a great way to track weight loss. I suspect that once you switch to all low carb wet food his weight will come down. Slow loss is best. :)

4. H.M. Victor (GA)

H.M. Victor (GA) Member

5. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Always give treats after every test, successful or not. Reinforces the idea that this is a pleasant acceptable experience.

6. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I give treats very liberally: with insulin injections, with every BG test and sometimes for just coming into the bathroom where all the FD business happens. Works for us! :)

7. H.M. Victor (GA)

H.M. Victor (GA) Member

Victor will be very happy with that I'm sure. Gave him one after his AMPS test and he loved it :joyful:

Kris & Teasel and Idjit's mom like this.
  8. FurBabiesMama

I used to give Mia treats every time I tested her, but I have not been lately only because she stopped wanting them. She jumps up in the testing spot for her test then jumps back down. She usually does head over to her food bowl for a few bites afterwards, so I usually just refresh her food bowl (add water and maybe a treat).

9. H.M. Victor (GA)

H.M. Victor (GA) Member

I hope Mia starts feeling better soon :bighug:

10. FurBabiesMama

Thank you! But, she actually stopped wanting/eating her testing treats before she started feeling bad. It's like she just got used to the routine and is fine with just getting it done, no reward needed. :cat:

11. PPCW

PPCW Member

You can also buy the freeze dried chicken for dogs because it is much cheaper. It is exactly the same as the cat version. The pieces are bigger but you can cut them into smaller ones for cats. I have four cats so the doggie bag makes the kitties and my wallet happy :cat:!

Arkali, H.M. Victor (GA) and Leah like this.
  12. Cheetah78

Cheetah78 New Member

Which brand of chicken treat do you use PPCW?

13. FurBabiesMama

I buy the PureBites chicken treats for dogs. Bigger bag, better price per ounce.

At Amazon right now:
    6.2oz bag for dogs is $11.73 = 1.89 per oz
    2.3oz bag for cats is $7.49 = 3.26 per oz

Last time I ordered the dog ones, they had the 6.2oz bag for $6.82 as an add-on item... just $1.10 an oz!

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    Cheetah78 likes this.
  14. PPCW

PPCW Member

I also buy PureBites.

Cheetah78 likes this.
  15. Arkali

Arkali Member

Oooh. Thanks for that tip! Gypsy likes the chicken and liver ones. She doesn't want to have anything to do with the fish and shrimp ones.

16. PPCW

PPCW Member

Mine love freeze-dried chicken :D!

Arkali likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.