?? Purina DM Can Catfood

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lisasuze, Sep 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lisasuze

Lisasuze New Member

Does anyone know the carb %/content of this product? Is it a good product? Do cats really like it? I'm the gal with the cat named Apollo who is barely eating a thing I give him in any can catfood as he wants the carb stuff. Any feedback on this food is appreciated. Thank you.

*Oh another one someone mentioned is Natural Variety Instinct LIne Rabbitt? Any info. on this would be so great too.

Thank you so much.

Lisa and Apollo

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

This containe the info on the canned DM:
    http://binkyspage.tripod.com/CanFoodOld.html

You can probably find information on other foods from links on this page.

I got there from here:
    viewtopic.php?f=14&t=115

I consider the canned DM to be an acceptable diet. However, it is more expensive than commercial canned food and is really not any better. However, I believe that whatever a cat will eat is very good.

3. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

4. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

It's 7% carbs.

Is it a good product? IMO, no. Check out the ingredients: Pork By-Products, Pork Liver, Water, Corn Starch, Powdered Cellulose, Soy Protein Isolate, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Calcium Carbonate, Guar Gum, Locust Bean Gum.... Blech :-Q Expensive to buy, too.

Some cats like DM, others don't.

But... if it is the only thing your cat will eat, then feed it. Your cat must eat, even if the food isn't very good quality.

Have you tried sprinkling treats, cheese, etc on top of canned food in general to make it more appetizing? There is a product called FortiFlora that you can buy from the vet or some places online. It's a powder that you sprinkle on food. Few cats can resist the appealing taste of FortiFlora.

NV Instinct is a good grain free low carb food: http://www.naturesvariety.com/Instinct/cat/can/all It has much better quality ingredients than the DM.

5. sueandsamwise

sueandsamwise Well-Known Member

The vet told me to only feed DM. Well, Sam won't eat it and I won't pay out the nose for it. It only comes in one flavor and has lots of by products in it.

Beechnut baby food if he won't eat make sure it has no onions in it or garlic. I feed Fancy Feast the classics or Friskies. Sam really likes Wellness but it's pretty high priced. I ordered some Fortiflora at Amazon. 16 bucks for a month supply. If Sam is being picky, I sprinkle some on. All the cats want the food then! :smile:

6. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

Dr. Lisa has posted before about if you are using FortiFlora only as an appetite stimulant, not as a probiotic, the box will last well past the expiration date. You only need a small amount mixed in with the food.

7. Lisasuze

Lisasuze New Member

Thank you everyone for your wonderful feedback--we appreciate it. I have tried so many brands including the following:

Blue Buffalo (couple flavors)
    Fancy Feast (few flavors)
    Friskies (few flavors)
    Wellness (regular/few flavors)
    Wellness Healthy Indulgence pouches (two flavors)
    Natura/Innova EVO (3 flavors)
    Nutro (MC and NC) couple flavors
    Baby food (couple of flavors)

--as of the last couple days:

I've tried Nutro in a different flavor that he seemed to like for the day and wouldn't touch it the next

I also tried the Natures Variety Instinct in one flavor--he licked it and that was it

Then I tried the D/M wet tonight and he nearly ate the whole can! This is great! I'll try again tomorrow.

Thanks again for all your feedback.

Lisa and Apollo

8. weeble

weeble Member

I have a crazy picky cat I've been trying since May to get off the dry food. I've tried pretty much every food currently in existence. Here are the few I've had some success with:

Tiki Cat (chicken--she also liked the tuna and one or two of the other fish flavors, but I steer clear of fish now)
    Merrick Thanksgiving Dinner & Gramma's Pot Pie
    Weruva (plain chicken)
    EVO 95% (duck)
    Spot's Stew (salmon)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.