Purina DM Savory Selects

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Barri & Sonny, Oct 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

Hi Everyone!
    After a year of dealing with my diabetic cat on my own i finally found all of you! So thankful to be able to find people to share questions and concerns with. Here goes my first question. Feeding my Sonny vet perscribed "DM Savory Selects" for a year. He was on insulin for 4 months, got regulated and went off for 5 months, back on and now he is almost off again. He likes the food, never gave me a problem. I am recently unemployed and $50.00 a case is way to $$ right now, plus i have done some research and reading and found that their are better store bought foods (9lives meaty pate, ff classic) that are better than the pricy DM....Is it ok to switch the food and what is the best way to do it??
    Thanks so much!
    Barri

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

No you don't need prescription food. Friskies pates (except Mixed Grill) are generally less than 10% calories from carbohydrates and suitable for a diabetic cat, as are the Fancy Feast Classic pates (look for the gold band around the bottom of the can that says 'Classic').
    Pop over to Cat Info for the low down on feline nutrition from vet Dr Pierson, who specializes in that. There's also a food list there which provides some options.
    Before making any food changes, however, you should be home testing for the safety of your cat. This involves using an inexpensive human glucometer such as the Target Up and Up or the Walmart ReliOn Confirm or Prime, matching test strips for the meter, and 25-28 gauge lancets.

3. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

Thank you! Yes, i have read the cat info site and also Dr Lisa's food chart, and also many posts on here regarding which food would be best. I have never had to test at home. My cat would see the vet once a week for a BG test, we would lower the dosage and his vet visits became more infrequent....his BG level was low last month and he is on the lowest dose of insulin. If his BG level is still low when i bring him next week, he can go off the insulin again but just stick with his low carb food. I am very surprised after reading everything in here that the "DM Savory Selects" are appropriate for a diabetic cat with all the gravy etc....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.