Purrrzac diagnosed with two cancers

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by RobertaandPushkin(GA), May 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RobertaandPushkin(GA)

RobertaandPushkin(GA) New Member

Hello, it has been a while and life has been crazy-busy... my best to all you people, human and furry! This is the first time I think I have used this new system--so my apologies. I am sorry to come here for the first time with a problem.

We just got discouraging news from the vet... our 10 year old Purrrzac has a mammary tumor and another one in her intestine, both apparently malignant. He did not sound encouraging since there are two things going on in her and the intestinal surgery would be very invasive. We do not want to put her through a lot of pain and intrusiveness.... but we do not want to just give up on her either. She does not really seem all that sick, her appetite is good, she seems her playful and loving self. I also joined a Yahoo group for holistic treatment, since Bruce has had good results with his chronic illnesses with homeopathy, and other alternative medicine.

Have any of you here had any experience with cancer in cats? We seem to have caught it early since she does not seem like a very sick kitty. I will talk to the vet myself again tomorrow since I have more experience with cats... Bruce has not had a cat since his childhood. But we two humans are both very sad.

I did not see a Reunion category here.... are folks still getting together on occasion? I would hate to miss what seems to be the annual Pacific Northwest get together.

Anyhow, we are just loving our kitty right now and asking for prayers. Show your loved ones how much you mean to them, always.

2. Mary & Stormy Blue

Mary & Stormy Blue Member

I had a male cat with mammary cancer that had spread to his lymph nodes before it was caught. I did have a lumpectomy performed on him and even though he had only been given 3-6 months to live post surgery, he was still going pretty strong when he escaped the house 10, almost 11 months post diagnoses. I do not know how long, (or if he still is alive), he survived, (he has been gone 13+ months now), after he left me but I would encourage you to have the masses removed, (both internal and external masses), if at all possible.

I also have another male cat with mast cell and squamous cancers. He was diagnosed a year ago this month and is doing very well right now.

~M

3. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

Reunion is a sub-group of Community.

Go to the Community Forum and you will see, at the top, a place to click on "Reunion".

I am sorry for your sad news about Purrrzac.

4. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Roberta, I am so sorry to hear about Purrrzac's cancers.

Another good Yahoo group for feline cancer is feline-cancer.

If you have heard about and are interested in using ES Clear, I have a fairly new bottle that was opened by mistake and used once. If you would like it, please PM me your address.

Folks here who have successfully treated for those cancers are WCF and Meowzi (mammary) and Kris and Jane (intestinal, or perhaps anal). You may want to contact them.

My best to you and Purrrzac.

5. WCF and Meowzi

WCF and Meowzi Well-Known Member

Hi Roberta. I'm very sorry to hear about Purrzac's cancers. I'm peeking in from work so I have to make this brief - four mins left before break ends. Meowzi was indeed treated for mammary cancer in April 2008, and has been cancer-free just a little over two years. In fact, the second anniversary of her second mastectomy (she had two, six weeks apart) is tomorrow.

Are you able to consult an oncologist? That would be my first step, to get a realistic idea of how far the cancers have progressed, the prognosis, and care options. That information would likely help you decide if you wish to pursue treatment or palliative care.

6. dian and wheezer

dian and wheezer Well-Known Member

hi roberta
    nothing to offer info wise but prayers your way that you have many more years with purrrzaC.
    AND VENITA> WHO WOULD DO SUCH A THING???

7. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

I didn't say it was you. Did I say it was you? Alright, folks, it was dian. :lol:

8. dian and wheezer

dian and wheezer Well-Known Member

was not like I contaminated it or anything. did not come with a do not open til venita says so.
    sorry for temp stealing your condo roberta. I will toss in extra prayers for that and gonna toss in a few snowflakes and vines too

9. Tim & Chris

Tim & Chris Member

I am so very sorry to hear about your cat having cancer. I recently lost my Amy to cancer. It was not caught early enough to treat. I took her to an oncologist though. If you can manage to find one near you it might be very helpful to take her.
    They can treat with chemo or radiation depending on the type of cancer. Will keep you both in my prayers.
    (((Purrzac)))

Chris

10. Maria & Suzie

Maria & Suzie Member

I don't know how old your cat is, but we had a cat long ago who developed several mammary tumors. She was probably about 15 at the time. The tumors were removed, she had a long nasty scar, and cried in pain the first night home, and we felt like "gosh, what have we done to her".

She continued to live to be 18 years old, and died of old age.

With cats cancer diagnosis does not necessarily get fancy enough to figure out whether the tumors are related, metastases to each other, etc... and the instestinal surgery does sound like it could be very intrusive.

All I can say is that I have yet to meet a cat that didn't have nine lives, they are tougher than we think and surprise us regularly. You love her and want to give her every possible chance - good for you, go for it!

Cancer is not necessarily a death-sentence and can often successfully be either removed, slowed down or lived with. Remember, cats are tough little survivors !!!

11. Emmy & Dude

Emmy & Dude Well-Known Member

Roberta, I'm so sorry to see this about you baby Purrzac. I haven't dealt with cancer in a kitty before so can't offer any suggestions but can certainly send you lots of healing vibes and prayers and hope that you get some good advice from these knowledgeable people who have treated their kitties.

Keep us posted - it's good to see your post but sorry it's one with questions like this.

And you will be one of the first to be notified if/when we have another PNW reunion - they're such fun aren't they? Love that backyard of Patti and Joe's -

Hugs,

Emmy & Dude (& Mittsi too)

12. Patti and Merlin

Patti and Merlin Member

Dear Roberta,
    I'm so sorry to hear about Purrzac. What devastating news to get! But reading others posts - it gives me hope too! You and Purrzac are being held close to my heart!

We haven't planned any real kind of reunion this year yet - hmmmmm!!????? But don't worry - you will DEFINITELY be notified!

Sending you and Purrzac the biggest of hugs!!!
    xxx

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.