Question aboiut insulin

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Tom Shooter, Apr 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom Shooter

Tom Shooter Member

I dropped the vial of insulin tonight after Dusty's injection and it broke. His numbers are ok right now and was wondering if he could go without Insulin tomorrow until my Vet's office open at 8:00 AM Monday morning. The other option is to go emergency vet and they said they would need to see him before they could give me the Insulin. He does not travel well and if I am sure that visit will cost an additional $100.00 over the cost of the medicine. I will take him if I have too but would prefer to wait if possible. As well he is controlling his numbers with two units every 12 hours which I believe is not a high dose.

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Had he ever had dka? If not be will probably be ok until Monday. What are the numbers?

I put a rubber band on the vial to keep from dropping it. Some buy vial rubber covers.

3. Tom Shooter

Tom Shooter Member

His numbers are round 14.

4. Chris & Lucy

Chris & Lucy Member

That's a tough one. I can't give any advice either way. I have skipped a day in the past for the same reason, with no change to the numbers once I started again. However I use Lantus and that is a different kind of insulin.

5. JanetNJ

I'd probably just wait but it's your call.

6. Tom Shooter

Tom Shooter Member

There is a vet open on Sunday near my house. I think I will drive by with the broken vial and ask if they will replace it. if she says she needs to see Dusty I will ask if he can wait. she has seen Dusty before recently but did not treat his diabetes. Thanks for the responses.

JanetNJ and Kris & Teasel like this.
  7. JanetNJ

worth a try.

8. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

If you can contact your vet today (Sunday)n maybe they can contact the vet that is open Sunday and then can sell you the ProZinc without an exam. Otherwise, the vet that is open Sunday will have to do an exam since to prescribe meds a vet must have a cliet-vet relationship. Some vets have agreements to exchange meds when one vet is out of a med or is closed.

9. Tom Shooter

Tom Shooter Member

I went to the emergency vet. She agreed to supply me with the insulin as she had seen Dusty before and I brought in the broken bottle.

She did however charge me over twice what my Vet charges for the same thing. Almost feel like I went to the corner drug dealer,lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.