Question about curve readings and dosing tonight.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Steph28, Feb 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steph28

Steph28 New Member

So today I got the next blood curve for my cats at home. Elvis is a month into Prozinc insulin and his curve was about what I expected. We are still letting the cats graze on a lower carb dry (not ideal but I explained why this has to be a gradual transition in my previous post) and we have gotten Frank(two months into insulin) to eat wet twice a day but he is allowed to snack on the dry as he wants for now. But today we witheld food for the curve. Well I am not sure what to do with the readings for Frank and the vet is closed so I can't ask them right now.
    His last two readings were 130 and 131(last reading at 6:30). The first one at 9AM was 308 after eating. I immediately gave them food after the curve and their next insulin dose is due around 8:30. Now I'm afraid to give him 3units because if his glucose doesn't go back up enough I don't want to overdo it. I can attempt a reading at 8 to see where it is if he will let me, he has been pretty irritated about the whole thing all day and it was hard to get what I got from him. Regardless, if he won't let me get the reading or the glocuse is still in the normal range what do I do with dosing?

EDIT: I just got another reading at 7:55. It was 145. I am suppose to give him insulin at 8:30 and have no idea how much Prozinc I should give him since I don't 100% understand all of this yet. I will give him 1 unit instead of 3 if I don't get any replies. I don't want to mess up his progress but don't want to risk hypo.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
  2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

3. Steph28

Steph28 New Member

I ended up giving him 1unit Prozinc last night instead of 3u. Checked it again this morning after he had access to dry food overnight and before feeding him wet and gave him the next dose and it was 286 so I gave him 2units. We are not currently testing daily or consistently although ofcourse that is the goal. Our cats are not super cooperative, sometimes they sit fine and sometimes they turn into a wild raging beast about being pricked in the ear. I know generally we don't just jump dosing around like that but I am trying to be cautious here. I just hope I didn't screw up his progress. I don't think I understand the correlation between readings vs dosing needs yet and what to do with that info if I can't talk to my vet immediately. If the starting and ending numbers in a curve are getting lower do we generally lower the dose or do they need the higher dose for the numbers to be lower/regulated? (The readings were all in the 300s for Frank for the whole day about 3 weeks ago when I did the curve).
    Thanks for the input, I will try posting in the Prozinc forum for these questions in the future, I honestly assumed the main forum might get heavier traffic and I will definitely create the spreadsheet shortly!

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  4. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

I’m glad he was ok last night. It must be especially difficult with two sugar cats! You’re right that the Main forum has more traffic, so many prozinc user post in both forums when they have questions. Another thing you can do to help is to set up your signature. Include date of diagnosis, what meter you’re using, what food you’re feeding and if there are any other health issues, meds or supplements. That will give us info without having to ask every time you have a question.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.