Question about dosing

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (The Main Forum)' started by Adam Flowers, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Adam Flowers

Adam Flowers Member

This morning Mogee's AMPS was 195.

Where I live, we are having a terrible snow storm and I had to work this morning. I was worried about not being able to check on him during the day so I gave him a reduced dose. He usually gets 3 units, I only gave him 2.

**I know it is not recommended to give insulin if PS is under 200 but I test Mogee enough to know what number I am safe enough to give insulin at and sometimes I give it when, or if, he is under 200 but above 180.**

I would have normally gave him the 3 units, as I know how he drops based on multiple tests, if I was able to watch him during the day but was not able due to weather conditions. And I did not want to NOT give insulin at all because I was worried his numbers would be through the roof by his PM injection.

Now, since I only gave that 2 units this morning, his numbers have been higher than normal, which is to be expected.

My question is this: Does it harm Mogee by giving him only 2 units this morning and then switching him back to his 3 units tonight (given his PMPS is high enough)? I think I've read on here that since it is an in and out insulin (Prozinc) that it shouldn't cause to much harm? I also know it is recommended to stay with a dose for 3 cycles before switching too, so I wasn't too sure what I should do?

Any advice or suggestions is greatly appreciated! Thanks everybody!

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

How interesting that he had a PS that low. Mia pulled an unexpectedly low one on me recently, and I did reduce slightly for that cycle. I went back to the normal dose the very next cycle because she was otherwise doing okay at that dose.

Adam Flowers likes this.
  3. Adam Flowers

Adam Flowers Member

I'll be honest, as happy as I should be with low PS, I hate when it happens on a work day. Especially one when we're having a blizzard outside.

The last time he was low PS, I stalled and he came up. I didn't have time to stall this morning. But I knew if I didn't give any insulin that he would shoot through the roof. He was already 267 @ +7 and he is usually around 160-200 @ +7 on the 3 units.

Ugh. Just always want what is best for him. Always on my mind.

4. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

I normally hold Mia's dose through pretty much any PS based on her history of bouncing (steady works best for her) and the fact that I have enough data to choke a horse, and I am usually able to monitor. But, on the occasion I mentioned before, she was shockingly low, as in 106 on AlphaTrak :nailbiting:. I ended up waiting and re-testing in 30 mins and she was 152, but I reduced the dose anyway. It is always better to be safe than sorry, and I did not feel right giving the full dose that time. So, if you could not monitor and your gut told you to reduce, you did the right thing!