? Question about food

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Carey & Kopie, Jan 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carey & Kopie

Carey & Kopie Member

My cat is eating 9Lives Super Supper. I have noticed that on days that he eats more, his numbers are higher. When he sleeps and skips lunch, he tends to be lower at pmps. Can this just be a coincidence or is there some merit to this? I was wondering if I needed to switch food but he didn’t like or got sick on the Friskies and Fancy Feast ones that we tried.

2. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

I can't answer that question. When you tried Friskies and Fancy Feast, did you do a slow transition?

3. Camille and Cyclone

Camille and Cyclone Well-Known Member

According to the food charts, Super Supper is 5% carbs, well within the recommended range. I guess you could try transitioning to a very low-carb food but IMO some variation in bg in response to food intake is natural as long as it's not extreme. You might make a note in Kopie's SS of whether he's eaten more or skipped a meal, to keep track.

Raw food is very low carb and many people here feed it. My cats love RadCat raw.

CatInfo food charts (in case you haven't seen them): http://catinfo.org/docs/CatFoodProteinFatCarbPhosphorusChart.pdf

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  4. Carey & Kopie

Carey & Kopie Member

It was when he was first diagnosed in May. Took away the dry and tried Friskies and Fancy Feast. He would randomly throw up after eating. He spent a couple days at the Vet. They only fed him 9Lives Super Supper and he did good so I stuck with that. No more throwing up.

5. Carey & Kopie

Carey & Kopie Member

Ok, thanks. I’m having a hard time getting him regulated. His numbers aren’t high but they aren’t consistently low either. The Vet thinks he is fine in the 200 range but I’d think he should be lower. Am I wrong?

6. Camille and Cyclone

Camille and Cyclone Well-Known Member

You're not wrong. Some vets say 200's are good because it keeps the cat alive and reasonably well and decreases risk of hypo, but if bg is over the renal threshold the kidneys have to work harder to eliminate glucose in the urine which can lead to kidney damage in the long run. In cats renal threshold is 240 -280. Also bg affects the pancreas which produces insulin. High bg causes damage to the cells in the pancreas and reduces or stops insulin production while normal or near normal bg allows the pancreas to heal and maybe start making more insulin. Obviously it's ideal to get as close as you safely can to normal numbers while not risking hypo. That requires a lot of management and frequent testing and many people go for a relaxed protocol vs tight regulation. (Lots of info in the stickies.) In your case you'd need to start getting tests between the preshots to see how low Kopie is going between shots - here in FDMB we adjust dose based on the lowest numbers, not preshots.

7. Carey & Kopie

Carey & Kopie Member

Yes, I’ve been slacking on getting more curves in. Now that the holidays are over, I’ll work on that. Thanks for the help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.