Question about "going past the right dose"

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by ReaAnn & Big Hoss, Dec 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ReaAnn & Big Hoss

ReaAnn & Big Hoss Member

(Cross-posting this from the Lantus Forum.) This is probably a stupid question, but if you increase doses too quickly and you "go past the right dose", can they adapt to the higher dose or will it always cause a hypo? I mean, how do you know you went past the right dose? See, I told you this is a stupid question. I'm just a little confused about it.

2. Candy&Company

Candy&Company Member

How much did you increase, and how quickly..? It all depends. Lantus is a slow acting insulin but I did this once with Fena, with ProZinc - I guess wrong and upped her to 3 units and she hit a low of 59 which worried me. You want to do it slow - .25 increases every 3-5 days, monitoring.

Not a stupid question at all, we're glad you asked!!

As for always causing a hypo... no, but again it depends on how big an increase and how fast, slow and steady wins the race.

Noah & me (GA) likes this.
  3. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

If that was a stupid question this place would not work. This is how we all learn, there really is no such thing as a stupid question here.

Exactly as Candy said, slow and steady. It's not a race.

4. ReaAnn & Big Hoss

ReaAnn & Big Hoss Member

Well tonight he just hit his second-ever reading in the normal range: 74. And just like the last time, he hit it at his pre-PM shot test! He’s bound and determined to keep me guessing. And worrying!

Noah & me (GA) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.