question about my new syringes from hocks

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Anonymous, Mar 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

a bit confused here. i ordered u100's, the box shows syringes that go from 10....to 100 but the syringes themselves only go to the 50 line.
    they are labeled 30 gauge. 50 units. 1/2 cc
    the markings are soooo tiny i'll need my glasses for sure but i don't know how much equals one unit with these rascals.

2. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

either way they are wrong, if they were to 100 like the box or 50 like you see on the syringe. you can use them but they're gonna be hard for you to judge the dose. you want ones that are u100 .3cc. they'll go from 0 to 30 on the syringe

3. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

A 50 unit (1/2 cc) insulin syringe:
    [​IMG]
    Each line represents 1 unit.

A 100 unit (1 cc) insulin syringe:
    [​IMG]
    Note: Each mark on a 100 unit (1 cc) insulin syringe represents 2 units, NOT 1 unit.

For most cats, all you need a 30 unit (3/10 cc) insulin syringes:
    [​IMG]

There must have been an error in putting the insulin syringes in the box. Or, the picture on the box was just a represenation of an insulin syringe. Either way, contact Hocks.com and let them know this. They may send you a replacement box with the correct insulin syringes inside for free.

Which insulin syringes did you buy from Hocks.com?

See picture above of the markings on a 50 unit insulin syringe.

Is there a reason why you need 50 unit or 100 unit insulin syringes? Does your cat have acromegaly or Cushings and needs a large amount of insulin daily?

4. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

i thought i was buying u100's as recommended. i currently have u40's. there is no way the 1 on the scale from 1-5 is one unit since the syringes are much thinner.
    i bought 200!
    the boux says 50 units or less but the pic on the box shows 100.
    they are home aide easy comfort.
    does this mean the that the 2 1/2 equals 1 unit does'nt apply?

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

the actual syringe says use u100 insulin only????i use idexx pzi...i think it has 40 units but i don't know now what that means...

7. LynnLee + Mousie

yes, the 2.5 for the u40 to u100 conversion still applys and you Can use those syringes. it's just harder to see on those syringes since the lines are all squished closer together. does that make sense? basically people with bad eye sight or shaky hands find those syringes hard to work with

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

thanks cindy yes that does make sense. and your right they will not be easy to use...but since i have 200 of them perhaps i'll get the hang of it :lol:
    btw, we are not concerned that the syringe says for u100 insulin only are we????

9. LynnLee + Mousie

the "for u100 insulin only" is why you do the 2.5 conversion so yes that's ok.

are you so low on syringes you can't send those back to hocks? i'd call them no matter what. hocks is usually pretty good about taking care of things

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

call them...ok, let me see if i can find a phone #. i'm not sure who made a mistake here, me or them.

11. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

You did buy U-100 syringes...but they come in different liquid capacities.

If you just say "U-100 syringes", most would assume you meant for a PERSON, and
    1/2 cc or even 1cc would be just fine.

But for a cat, you usually want the smallest capacity 3/10 cc ( = .3cc ).

And with 1/2 unit marks, if possible.

The same conversion still applies no matter what the liquid capacity of the U-100 syringes,
    but it is not easy to measure in 1/2cc and 1cc capacity syringes.

So for 1 unit of U-40 insulin, that's the 2.5 unit-mark in a U-100 syringe.

1cc capacity syringes don't even have a "1-unit" mark: they are marked every
    2 units. ( 2,4,6,8 10 (first numbered mark).

Hocks will very likely exchange them for you.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

i don't have 1cc i have 1/2 cc....so i think it's like cindy said 2 1/2 = 1 unit.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

would someone look at squeeme diagram where she says 1/2cc 50 units that each line equals one unit. i think it is more like 2.5 lines equals one unit.
    sorry if this is driving everyone participating crazy but just want to be clear.

14. Karen & Smokey(GA)

The "one" mark on ANY U-100 syringe = 1 unit of U-100 insulin.
    ..........................................................^^^^^.........

But, if you are wanting to put U-40 insulin into the U-100 syringe (any capacity U-100 syringe, 3/10cc, 1/2cc, 1cc),
    then you must 'do the math'.

One unit of U-40 insulin is drawn to the 2.5 unit-mark in a U-100 syringe.
    (The true dose is still 1 unit).

Trust me on this.

Do not assume you can just look at two syringes side-by-side and say 'this = that'.

Syringe barrel sizes vary by manufacturer, and larger capacity syringes generally have a larger
    internal barrel size.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

okay, now i FULLY understand. thank you.

16. Karen & Smokey(GA)

U-40 insulin contains 40 units of insulin per ml of liquid.
    U-100 insulin contains 100 units of insulin per ml of liquid.

U-40 insulin is 'thinner' than U-100 insulin.

Therefore on a U-40 syringe, the marks for each unit are farther apart than on a U-100 syringe.
    (Because you need more liquid volume for the same insulin dose in units).

100 divided by 40 = 2.5, which is where the math comes from to use U-100 syringes with
    U-40 insulin.

Number of desired U-40 units times 2.5 = the unit-MARK on the U-100 syringe to draw up the insulin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.