Question - Civie with BG of 217 - now 279 this AM

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jen and Boo, Jul 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jen and Boo

Jen and Boo New Member

Our kitty Tucker has BG 217 just after eating good low carb wet food. Is he diabetic??

He has lost some weight recently which I was not woried about because I attributed it to the fact that he was overweight when we started feeding all our cats low carb wet food.

We went on vacation for 2 weeks and our family fed the cats dry food rather than comming over every day and feeding the wet food. Our diabetic (Boo) traveled with us so we thought a little junk food would be OK for the non-diabetics for a few weeks.

I can test Tucker randomly over the next few days but I thought I'd reach out to you guys for your collective experience tonight.

Does 1 BG reading of 217 mean my Tucker is a diabetic?

We travel 100 nights a year and Tucker is not going to be an easy patient so I'm really hoping he is not diabetic.

2. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

Re: Question - Civie with BG of 217

i would think that he is diabetic but his number could be high from an infection or something. Can you take him to the vet soon to verify? i'd get a few more tests at different times, too.

right before you feed him next time, test his blood glucose then test it again about 3 hours later and see if the number has decreased. that will help you figure out whether his pancreas is working.

3. Jen and Boo

Jen and Boo New Member

Thanks. I will check via home tests like you said. The vet is useless though except for prescriptions and point in time blood tests. These are the people that did not understand home testing and prescribled 1 unit of vetsulin 1X per day for my Boo. They had no clue about Lantus or that cats need 2X per day. I swear I know more than them about managing FD than they do.

4. Seattlebrian

Seattlebrian Member

One datapoint doesn't make a kitty diabetic. Could be an infection, could be stress, could just be a normal fluctuation. If she gets back down to normal levels on her own, then her body is producing insulin just fine. If she doesn't, it doesn't necessarily mean diabetes, but it would mean a trip to the vet for more exact testing.

5. Jen and Boo

Jen and Boo New Member

I may have my answer. He was 279 this morning :(

I will keep checking him and updating this thread to see what you guys think. My vet is capable of diagnosing and infection but the treatment that they provide for any infection is a Covenia injection. I think covenia can work fine as some of my cats have had these shots with no reactions. It still makes me nervous.

6. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Covenia has its uses but is not really a all purpose antibiotic. It can have some adverse side effects. See:
    viewtopic.php?f=28&t=2107

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.