? Question Dutch forum prozinc kitty itch?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Ruby&Baco, Oct 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ruby&Baco

Ruby&Baco Well-Known Member

Hello,
    There is a kitty on the Dutch forum a kitty on Prozinc (for already a couple off months) he's called Toulouse, going great and having blue and green numbers but he's having an itch on his back since a week. Advisors there asked me to ask you all about it... could it be that this can be a side effect by Prozinc?
    If you need more info, please ask!

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I believe that the constituents of ProZinc include some fish-derived substances. If a kitty was allergic to fish, the ProZinc might cause an allergic sort of reaction like itching. Also, there's a phenomenon called feline hyperesthesia which can cause periodic "fits" of itching, skin twitching along the back, tail chewing, etc. It can come and go. I think I've read on FDMB that some owners have wondered whether insulin has aggravated their kitty's hyperesthesia.

Ruby&Baco likes this.
  3. Ruby&Baco

mmm didn't know that Kris, thanks for the info! :bighug:

@Sue and Oliver (GA) @Rachel @Bobbie And Bubba @Alexi are you agreeing with Kris's info? Or are there also other things that can cause that itch?
    Those numbers Toulouse had (green/blues) are going up every day to yellows... We thought he would go into remission but after that itch those numbers are going up... He got a medicine for flees and that helped him stop the itch a couple of months ago.. after that it came back after they used a pipette for also flee allergy... So his bean is thinking that Toulouse maybe is allergic for it OR that Prozinc is causing it...

4. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

I not sure about the allergy to ProZinc and fish, I sort of remember something about that but, not really sure . I hope that Sue will weigh in and she would probably know the answer to that.

Ruby&Baco likes this.
  5. Ruby&Baco

Thanks Bobbie! will reply soon to pm, really busy today! Will be tomorrow that I reply :bighug:

6. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

I think I have heard that, Bobbie, but I am not sure. I would think, as she has been on insulin a while, it might be food? Any food changes lately?

Ruby&Baco likes this.
  7. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

It does sound like am allergy but I don't know to what. I do recall hearing about fish and prozinc. However like Sue said if she's been on it awhile iit seems unlikely to be thgthge culprit. Any recent changes to anything?

Ruby&Baco likes this.
  8. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Here's something I found online: Saying if animal is allergic to pork beef.

Taken from this
    https://www.petrescuerx.com/index.cfm/product/89_151/prozinc-cat-insulin.cfm

Potential side effects:
    • Pets allergic to pork or beef should not use insulin from either of these sources
    • Allergies are rare, but an allergic reaction would show as difficult breathing, hives, scratching, swollen lips, tongue or face, sudden onset of diarrhea, vomiting, shock, seizures, pale gums, cold limbs, or coma. If you observe any of these symptoms, contact your veterinarian immediately.

Ruby&Baco likes this.
  9. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Ruby&Baco and Bobbie And Bubba like this.
  10. Ruby&Baco

Thanks for all the info you guys!
    There aren't changes in Toulouse's diet or anything, that's what makes it strange.
    Well who knows! Hopefully it will just go away with those anti flea pills!

11. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Kitties with salmon allergies can be allergic to PZI insulins. It would be interesting to know if this kitty has had any problem with salmon-based food previously, Ruby...?

But also, as others have said, maybe there's something else new in the kitty's food or environment that is causing a problem...?

Really hoping the problem can be identified and resolved soon. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Eliz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.