? Question for Recent Out of Remission Folks

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kitty mom, Dec 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kitty mom

Kitty mom Member

As someone else posted "It Seem to be Something in the Water" I have a few questions for the people here who's cats just recently fell out of remission.

What food do you feed, wet only , wet & kibble ? What brands ?

I thought I would see if there are and common links here or is this just a coincidence that we suddenly have a few fall out in the last few weeks. I know I have been here only on and off since my two went OTJ in a matter of days to weeks and maybe this site sees waves of this every so often , it just seems od to me.

2. Kitty mom

Kitty mom Member

We feed FF classic and YAZC and have been in remission for 13 months. I was surprised to see Dasher's numbers in the mid 110's but when I did Blitzen's this morning he was at 95 and that high for him. My cats have been anywhere from the 60's to low 80's for a year until last week . If they need insulin again I hope we have the same luck as last year and they only need it for a short time.
    I'm going to try and gradually take away the YAZC and see how it goes.

3. blu

blu Member

Blu was in remission for about a year and a half, and recently is back on insulin :(
    He has been eating only Fancy Feast Classics since his initial diabetes diagnosis.

4. manxcat419

manxcat419 Well-Known Member

Wet only, but Rosa did manage to get her numbers back down in the end...it just took a whole lot longer than I expected just from one mess up by the medical boarding place. So I can't actually say she came out of remission in the end - she just wobbled for a few weeks. :)

5. Nancy and Scotty

Nancy and Scotty Member

Scotty was in remission from 2/1/15 to 11/1/15, when he came out of remission his diet was the same old Fancy Feast pates, I had the vet run labs but the only difference the vet saw was the pound he had gained, still I wonder if there is something else that caused it, it took me exactly one month to get him back in regulation, since he has always been a high dose probable IAA cat I had to go to 7 units of Levemir twice a day to get him regulated again but now we are down to 3.5 units twice daily and I am hoping maybe he will go back into remission again, at any rate even though I was not happy about him coming out of remission he was thrilled about it, he is so spoiled and he loves getting tested 4 or 5 times a day, getting shots and being special. I wish all the vets out there that think testing will hurt a cats relationship with its owner could see Scotty come running when I get out the testing supplies.

6. manxcat419

manxcat419 Well-Known Member

I couldn't agree more! :) I was told the same thing by a vet about testing - especially when I was doing a lot of testing on the days Rosa went low...I was told I was testing "too much" and she'd start to hate me. But the truth is that she's closer to me than she's ever been - she's my constant companion now no matter where I am in the house or what I'm doing. And now she needs new meds for her CKD, she'll sit in the kitchen while I get her meds ready, even though some of them are pills which she hates, and then jump up on my lap to take them. I don't even have to make her open her mouth any more - she does what she knows she needs to do to make it easy for both of us. :)

Critter Mom likes this.
  7. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

In the UK and feeding Sheba Fine Flakes in Jelly (Chicken & Turkey flavours from the Poultry Selection box).

Saoirse has chronic pancreatitis and I've wanted to put her back on a daily microdose of insulin for maintenance from 2 months after she went into remission; reason being that her clinical signs started to deteriorate very shortly after insulin treatment was withdrawn. It has taken many painful months of watching Saoirse deteriorate again and then fall out of remission before I got veterinary support to reinstate insulin treatment.

Mogs

8. Jan Radar (GA)

Jan Radar (GA) Well-Known Member

Radar has been eating only wet food since he decided he was finished with kibble and insulin in late July of 2015. Before diabetes he ate only kibble because I didn't know any better and Radar had not yet educated me. Currently, I feed him a combination of Fancy Feast classics and Cats in the Kitchen. It's about a 50/50 mix. Today my BG test told me to put him back on insulin.

9. blu

blu Member

Seeing a lot of Fancy Feast Classics here - I emailed FF a friendly email, as they do not promote their Classics to be for diabetic cats, just to see if they may have changed ingredients or formulas. I'll post what I hear back.

10. Kitty mom

Kitty mom Member

Tanya
    I know they don't promote it as a good food for diabetic cats but so many of us use it due to it being low carb .
    It's worked so well for both of my OTJ boys , until recently bg has been good but in the last week it's gone up into the blue range. I pretty much have pulled them off it with the exception of 1 can split between the two of them over a 24 hour period. I've been free feeding the YAZC and as of last night Dashers bg had went down from 147 to 138. I don't know if it's the diet change or when I texst again later it will be back up.

After a lengthy conversation with a dietitian from YA company I decided to go with their feeding plan....can't hurt.
    I will keep everyone posted on how it works out...it may it may not.
    Please let me know what they say when they get back to you.

11. Nancy and Scotty

Nancy and Scotty Member

Thanks, I had wondered about that and will be very interested in what you find out.

12. blu

blu Member

no response from Fancy Feast yet, unfortunately. As of today, Blu is no longer eating FF. I'll post if I see any changes that occur with his new diet. I bought a variety of wet foods on the diabetic approved list (except for the FF, lol) including Wellness, Soulistic, Merrick etc. I figure if we see a significant difference in a week or so, something has to be going on with the Fancy Feast.

13. Critter Mom

For information, I've come across reports of two cats with GI tract issues in the last few days (one vomiting, the other with diarrhoea). Both were being fed Fancy Feast.

Mogs

14. blu

blu Member

Well that is not good at all. It could be a random thing, but for now, no more FF for my cats. I'm disappointed FF did not respond as their website said most responses can be expected within 48 hours. Wondering if maybe I shouldn't have mentioned why I was asking, although I did the "disclaimer" type of thing by saying I understand they don't promote their classics as diabetic approved.

15. Critter Mom

I wonder whether they're slow with responses because of the holiday period? Try nagging. ;)

blu likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.