question on humulin N, changing time of dose

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by jan and Hep and sara (GA), Apr 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jan and Hep and sara (GA)

jan and Hep and sara (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi,

I will be dosing someones cat while they are away for about a week. The cat is newly DX [few weeks] and is on 1U humulin N. She is new to this and does'nt hometest. I have shared with her a lot of my knowledge that I have gotten from this site.

Does humulin N have to be given precisely on a 12/12 schedule? I may have to have her change her shot time for me and I wanted to know how to go about it. My cat is on Lantus and I would switch by 15 mins till I got to the desired time.

Thanks,

jan and sara

2. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

N is much more forgiving and doesn't have to adhere to a 12/12 schedule.

you do of course want to make sure you're not giving it like 4, 6, or even 8 hours apart of course.

will you be testing kitty while you are dosing him?

3. jan and Hep and sara (GA)

Cindy,

Oh you know I will. I'm trying to educate her on this stuff. But I supose you [I used to too] think that you should trust what your vet says.

Believe it or not I let her try a couple of my syringes [monoject] and she liked the short needle. I told her to have her vet call in a perscription for 31 gauge, 8mm 1/2cc 1/2 unit markings from walmart. I told her that I had a box of the monoject and I would switch. I thought they would be easier for her to use than the relion.

Anyway [I could'nt believe it] her vet said no. That she would be bringing her cat in, in about a week for another blood test and if he still needed more they would cross that bridge than. They also asked what vet she got the information for the syringes from. She told them it was just a friend with a diabetic cat.

I think its a total ego thing myself. I'd be looking for another vet. And I'd tell them that too. I told her the one I go to is wonderful. We learn from each other and we are working together for Sara.

Don't mean to rant. Just could'nt help it.

I'm glad to hear that humulin is more forgiving. He was 288 that time I tested him.

Thanks Cindy,

jan and sara

4. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

Hi - I used N for over a year with Norton.

N did not last 12 hours, so a 1 hour change either way was fine. If you test before the shot, you can probably safely shoot at +10. In fact, some people do TID or shooting every 8 hours.

Hopefully you will be able to test this kitty.

5. jan and Hep and sara (GA)

Phoebe,

Yeah hes real easy to test. I had help the first time but I don't see a problem.

jan and sara

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.