? Question Regarding Diabetes and Allergy Medication

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Andrew Cat, Sep 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andrew Cat

Andrew Cat New Member

My cat Andy was diagnosed today with diabetes and allergies. The vet has prescribed Prednisone for the next three weeks. I've heard that there are some problems with insulin and this medication.

I have not started insulin yet. My question is:
    1. Would you recommend giving him Prednisone and the insulin?
    2. Or does anyone else have a diabetic cat with allergies that they've found another way to treat?

At the vet's office this afternoon, his blood glucose level was 348.

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Allergies to what?

Prednisone is really not recommended for diabetic cats unless it's the only choice to treat a problem that's more serious than the diabetes. We have lots of cats here that have allergies/asthma and are taking over the counter anti-histamines like Chlor Trimeton and Zyrtec

Steroids can make the blood glucose a lot higher and harder to control

SpecklesandMe likes this.
  3. Andrew Cat

Andrew Cat New Member

not sure what he is allergic to..thinning hair/red skin..always grooming himself...what dosage of zyrtec?

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Please discuss the dosage with your vet as it may vary with weight or other conditions being treated.

5. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Also, skin allergies can often be food based....a lot of cats are allergic to fish and beef (they're two of the top offenders)

6. SpecklesandMe

SpecklesandMe Member

I would talk to your vet about trying some antihistamines and/or novel protein diets first before jumping to pred.

7. Andrew Cat

Andrew Cat New Member

Thanks, I have left a message with vet...Will check with him before I start the pred.

8. Brashworks

Brashworks Member

Hi Sheryl,

Sorry you're having to go through this - Andy is a handsome fellow.

I'm new to this and my cat doesn't have the added wrinkle of allergies but was wondering how you made out with your vet and alternate medication for his allergies. I'm sure you have been doing lots of reading - if you haven't started on insulin yet have you made any diet changes? I'm curious what Andy was fed when he was diagnosed and what you might consider feeding going forward.

If you haven't read already, blood sugar measured at the vet's can sometimes be artificially high due to stress. Does he have many of the other symptoms of diabetes, like being hungry all the time, weight loss, drinking and peeing tons?

Hope you can find a solution for him, and welcome.

9. Andrew Cat

Andrew Cat New Member

Hi! Andy started having trouble late summer at the first vet visit his numbers 360 .The vet recommended a diet change only and retesting in 4 weeks. Of course his diet change was to Hill's WD. But after researching, I switch from his previous dry food, Science Diet for sensitive stomach to Fancy Feast Turkey and Giblet. But unfortunately his numbers did not change much but he did gain 1/2 pound..he is now 9.7. We started him on PZI late Thursday and I have ordered Purina DM. He is hungry but doesn't seem to be peeing/or drinking as much. But since has thinning hair on ears and back legs with an elevated white blood count the Vet wanted to start him on Prednisone for allergies.
    The Vet is willing to work with me but doesn't necessary agree with me. Instead of Prednisone I am giving him 1/4 of a Zertex once a day for allergies and following Dr. Hodgkins protocol testing/insulin recommendations. The vet recommendations was 2cc pzi twice a day and Prednisone for three weeks....he doesn't agree with the home monitoring......I'm to check back with him in a two weeks. I'm hoping to see a significant change at our next visit.
    Thanks for your concerns, it is great to have a support system .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.