Question- Switched from Lantus to Levemir

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Deena and Malby, Apr 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deena and Malby

Deena and Malby Member

Hello,
    I just switched Malachai over from 18 units of Lantus to 13 units of Levemir (told I should start at a 30% reduced rate).
    His numbers looked pretty normal the first day on Levemir but they skyrocketed today and his pre-shot BG was super high.
    Is this normal when switching insulins? I remember reading someone say there would be a drain of the Lantus depot...
    Or is it possible that his dose is too low? He wasn't even regulated on 18units of Lantus...
    Or, could it be bad insulin?
    Any comments would be appreciated!

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

First off, I am going to warn you that I will sound like a broken record. We are all about safely giving insulin here. The only way to do so is to see how low a dose is taking the cat and that means a lot more testing than you are doing. You have no idea how low 18 units of Lantus was taking Malachai from the data (or rather lack there of) that is on his spreadsheet. You want, at a minimum, and to get a test before every shot, plus either a curve a week or enough spot checks to see how he is doing. That includes night time tests. Most cats go lower at night, you could be completely missing lows by not testing them. My Neko did months of earning reductions during the night, then bouncing during the day. If I only looked at her daytime numbers, I would have increased when in fact she needed a decrease.

Not sure why you stopped the cabergoline, but given the lack of testing, it was probably just as well for his safety's sake.

Without more data, all I can say is that his dose is either too high, or too low. Is there a reason you cannot test more?

3. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

I have to encourage you to get more tests. I saw too much white on your SS and that makes me nervous, especially when Malachai is on a high dose.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.