? Question

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Nicole & Baby, Apr 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

Hi, Sadi has been doing this a few times a day the past few days. Any ideas what this is? I apologize for television in background, she was on my lap & I wanted to catch her while doing it & remote was not nearby.

Thank you,

2. scoobydoox

scoobydoox Member

Looks like hiccups to me?

3. Nicole & Baby

thank you for taking the time to view and input, it is more than hiccups .. it is like she is trying to puke up a hairball? But nothing ever comes up .. so I am concerned. :(

4. scoobydoox

scoobydoox Member

how long has your cat been doing it?

5. Nicole & Baby

a few times a day the past few days .. if it continues then I take her to vet. I do have a tendency to overreact so I don't want to jump the gun unnecessarily but won't allow it to continue too long.

6. scoobydoox

scoobydoox Member

does your vet have a website and do emails? if they do i would email them that video and ask if it warrants a vet trip.

7. Nicole & Baby

good idea .. I am going to do that now. Thank you,

8. Shoeskitty-GA

Shoeskitty-GA Well-Known Member

Please post what you find out. Shoes does something similar on occasion. He does not lick his lips afterwards though. I think it might be a hair ball forming of something like that but really don't know. Would be interested in what your vet says, if anything.

9. Nicole & Baby

Will definitely update when I hear his reply ... Best to Shoes too & thank you for your input.

Shoeskitty-GA likes this.
  10. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Looks a bit like a cough to me. I think a once-over by the vet would be a good idea.

Mogs

11. Nicole & Baby

thanks Mogs, she was just at vet ago a few months ago for blood work & annual. Will see what he says .. she needs to back in for a spot by her lung found a few years ago .. not sure if it has been there her whole life or something more. So she will be going back in for a repeat thoracic radiograph to see if grown in size in a few weeks. All of her input/output is normal & activity too. She's 15.

12. Critter Mom

Fingers and paws crossed that the vet will be able to quickly sort things out for Sadi. Sending healing vibes for Sadi and some :bighug:s for you, Nicole.

Mogs

13. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

China does that same thing and I've had her checked from stem to stern....Vet can't find any reason for it other than possible allergies, but says her lungs sound great every time we've been in for it

Hopefully if you take her into your vet, they'll have a better answer than mine has so far!!

We've been dealing with it for over 2 years

Critter Mom likes this.
  14. Nicole & Baby

thanks Chris ... her lungs are always clear too .. I am not overly concerned because Input/Output/Activity is completely normal & she just had full blood work down a few months ago ..t I know cats are subject to hairballs & it might just be something she is trying to work out within herself .. but as they are/our babies .. naturally lean towards nervousness on an emotional level ... but remaining logical until I know something otherwise! Thank you for caring, viewing & commenting!!

Critter Mom likes this.
  15. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

My civvie does this from time to time. No idea why, vet says she's good, maybe allergies.

16. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

Dre does this sometimes after he drinks from his fountain of the sink.... I have always thought he got water up his nose. I gently hold his mouth shut to make him swallow and it stops.

Rico drips from his nose/mouth when he is happy usually laying on my chest and pushing his paws in me--sometimes he will do it if the drip goes in instead of out. He is not interested in my help:stop:

Nicole & Baby likes this.
  17. Nicole & Baby

Ok all .. thank you for all your replies .. here is my Vet's reply:

Looks like a mild case of feline asthma ( you tube posts a few videos for you to compare ). Any changes at home ? New litter air fresheners or plants ?

18. Critter Mom

Or has there been a change that means the environment is dustier lately? (Saoirse had mild issues when we lived near a quarry.)

Mogs

19. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

My answer is going to be less comforting than everyone else's.:(
    If Sadi is doing this on a daily basis, please take her too the vet and make them do a thorough exam including xrays. A cough like that can also be CHF.

Critter Mom likes this.
  20. DebG

DebG Well-Known Member

I'm not a vet but my kitty Fritz has asthma and that's exactly what he does as the mucus and fluid in his lungs and it's the cats way of coughing it up and it gets absorbed back into the body.
    I'm dealing with his flare ups right now!
    I use flovent 220 twice a day along with having on hand Albuterol for rescue. Right now in place of giving him liquid predisolone I give him 2 puffs of albuterol. Predisolone raises gbs! It's a juggling act to keep him breathing while trying to deal with his recent diagnosis of fd.
    Please don't do what I'm doing without first having your vet confirm its asthma.
    I've been dealing with asthma with Fritz for the last 4 to 5 years. I'm not trying to frighten you prayerfully it's not asthma, but it's exactly what Fritz does.
    Good luck! There is a lot of good information on the Internet about asthma in kitties.
    I'd be happy to help in any way if it is asthma!

21. Nicole & Baby

Thanks everyone, vet thought Asthma too & when I looked on YouTube I thought the same thing too. She will go into Vet in the next week or so and she has not done it this morning or last night. I removed all air fresheners and candles too. Her lungs have always been clear and her heart too (no fluid). Anyway, I will keep you updated and thank you again for all of your input.

Critter Mom likes this.
  22. Nicole & Baby

I appreciate your input, I don't think that it is after reviewing those symptoms .. but am always looking for input and will update after Vet. :bighug:

23. Critter Mom

Sending positive vibes for Sadi. Will keep an eye out for your update, Nicole. :bighug:

Mogs

24. Nicole & Baby

thank you Mogs!:cat:

Critter Mom likes this.
  25. Nicole & Baby

I forgot to update .. we went to vet & unfortunately it is not Asthma .. he thinks it is due to the mass in inside her chest cavity (found 2 years ago) but she did not have symptoms until a week ago & so I opted to not find out what it was ... we have an appointment with oncologist to have ultrasound & fine needle biopsy .. using low dose of Prednisolone (5 mg) to control cough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.