Questions about low #'s & food

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Michelle & Prudence, Mar 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michelle & Prudence

Michelle & Prudence Member

Anyone please chime in pc_work

Question about 3/8/2010 PM

Prudence was at 345 pmps. I did not feed her until morning for amps and her amps was 342 - Last night pmps was 386 I fed her a little food after I took her BG at +6... being that I fed her, is this why her amps was 450?

Yesterday Prudence hit her low # 143 at +6, but today it was # 135 at +4. I had to shoot 15 minutes earlier today.. is that why her low was at +4?

OK, I am trying to understand this - When you reach the low number. This means the insulin is or has worn off, so that's why the numbers start to go back up? If I feed her or if there is food leftover from the am... this will make her pancreas work hard trying to release insulin, so her numbers would then go up even higher? That's that part I am NOT sure about??? If this is the case - wouldn't it be better to just wait until the next feeding/pmps? I am trying to keep her numbers in the blue & yellow range, right?

I have not had any luck getting her ketone reading. I am trying the saran wrap method now. Is she in any danger since I have not been able to get this information? Am I able to tell by looking at her numbers? I am guessing that if she was constantly in higher numbers.. that would raise a red flag?

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

" When you reach the low number. This means the insulin is or has worn off, so that's why the numbers start to go back up?"
    This is relatively correct. The low number represents the maximum effect of the insulin. After that there is still insulin present but not that much and it effect declines.

"If I feed her or if there is food leftover from the am... this will make her pancreas work hard trying to release insulin, so her numbers would then go up even higher?"
    The pancreas produce insulin(if working) and if they wrk they control BG and make the BG go down.

"Prudence was at 345 pmps. I did not feed her until morning for amps and her amps was 342 - Last night pmps was 386 I fed her a little food after I took her BG at +6... being that I fed her, is this why her amps was 450?"
    I do not think the little food is the reason for the high PS.

"Yesterday Prudence hit her low # 143 at +6, but today it was # 135 at +4. I had to shoot 15 minutes earlier today.. is that why her low was at +4?"
    The 15 minute difference is very probably NOT the cause of the relatively low BG.

From the spread sheet you have not really kept a constant dose. Therefore, I recommend that you stick with a dose for about 4 days (unless you get low numbers that indicate too much insulin) and then look at the data go from there.

3. Michelle & Prudence

Michelle & Prudence Member

Thank you Larry

So, I need to pin point if her pancreas is working properly :? I feel like I am kind of all over the place with the feeding. My goal was to see if there is any chance she could get off of the insulin. I know this is all a learning experience. Not every cat is the same, so I was torn by not knowing if I should hold off food and ONLY feed at amps & pmps, just to see what kind of numbers I have.. or feed her small meals throughout the day because I don't want her starving :? I did give her 1/4 canned food at +8 tonight.

I am sticking with just under 1 unit. ProZinc I can not be exact, so I am listing on the spreadsheet 0.8

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.