Questions about Prozinc

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by spacey, Aug 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spacey

spacey Member

My cat Spacey keeps having high blood glucoses. He is on 3.5 units twice daily. The last couple of days his nadirs were in the 200s and he climbs right back up into the 400s and sometimes higher by pre-shot. I have him on primarily on Friskies Special Diet, Ocean whitefish, Beef & chicken & turkey flavors. Sometimes Fancy Feast turkey & gibleats. Could the food be causing this? I have his BGs listed in my 'Spacey is still not regulated' thread. If anyone that is familiar with Prozinc and could give advice, I would be greatful.

2. Rob & Harley (GA)

Rob & Harley (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi,

I went back and read your previous thread and I agree with the last two responses from Joanna and Bix and Laurie and Mr. Tinkles.

Previous Thread: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=22981

It's lucky that you caught that 76 early in the cycle, I think that Spacey is dropping low early in the cycle and than the liver is dumping sugar to protect itself so Spacey zooms back up.

With Prozinc in the beginning, the nadir can move around some. Harley started with a nadir around +3 & +4 but within a few weeks his nadir settled into +5 to +7.

The more data you can gather the clearer the picture will be on how Spacey is reacting to the insulin. Can you go to the Tech Forum and start a spreadsheet? That way whenever you have a question people can quickly see what Spacey's history is.

I'm very sorry for your family's loss.

3. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

I too agree that a dose reduction likely would be best for Spacey. And that it would be easier for folks to respond to you if all your data was in one place. It doesn't have to be in a google spreadsheet as many here use, just somewhere all in one place, easily readable, and accessible on the Internet.

Looking at more of your posts, it appears that Spacey got to this dosage based on vet testing. Now that you are hometesting, I suggest you think about starting back at 1U. If you do that, be sure to watch carefully for ketones using ketostix.

His food appears to all be low carb, so I don't see that as the problem.

Are you seeing any improvement in clinical symptoms--less water drinking, smaller pees, more energy, better coat, diminished voracious appetite??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.