? Questions about remission

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kiki Thor, Jan 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kiki Thor

Kiki Thor Member

Hello! Happily it has been a long time since I posted here. This forum along with the carb chart from catinfo.org got Herbert into remission quite quickly after he was diagnosed. We're still on the low carb food (Fancy Feast pate) and I'm wondering if there will ever be a point where it's safe to allow him to begin introducing other things back into his diet. Recently I purchased a box of Temptations because I remembered some people here allow their cats to have those and he has really gone super insane over them, but there's still that fear in the back of my head that it will bring his diabetes back. Thoughts?

Also, while I'm here, I do have another cat who does not have diabetes but is very overweight. She was already overweight when we got her 2 years ago, and I expected her to thin out like Herbert once she got on his diet.. but she's still huge! The low carb wet food hasn't slimmed her out at all. She is approximately 13 (2 years older than Herbert) and I'm worried about her health as she becomes an elderly cat. I just don't understand what else I could do to get her in shape when she's already on a diet like this? Any tips? (She isn't allowed outside as we live in the city)

2. Sarah&Soph

Sarah&Soph Member

In remission really just means they are a diet controlled diabetic, so it would really be best not to feed any kind of high carb foods or treats if you want the best chance of him staying in remission.

Low carb wet food is a good start for weight loss, but it is not always the only solution. What is your feeding schedule like? Do you free feed or feed set portions? I know a lot of people free feed but my cat is on a set amount a day and still managed to become overweight, so now I have cut back her portions further. Some cats are good at regulating how much they eat, and others like my little piggy need some help saying “when” :p

3. Ann & Scatcats

Ann & Scatcats Well-Known Member

Perhaps getting your female to play and exercise more.

I play a lot speed ball with Simba and Gustav, in particular Simba who is very sporty loves when the small ball fast bounce of the ceiling, walls e.t.c so he gets to jump after it and catch it. I also play hide and seek with them, I run into another room and hide behind something and they run after to find me. Simba loves finding his mama. Simba also have daily wrestling games with Gustav, if it wasn't for Simba I think Gustav would have been that very calm happy sleeping Buddha he is every day not moving so much. So Simba has been a bliss to Gustav as Purrsonal Trainer getting Gustav into daily wrestling games.

Juls and Billy likes this.
  4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Temptations are horribly high in carbs. I would leave them on the shelf at the store. Have you tried feeding freeze dried all meat treats? Most kitties go crazy for them too. Once a diabetic, always a diabetic. Thankfully your kitty is controlled by diet.

How many calories/cans per day are you feeding the non diabetic? Maybe water her food down a little so she feels fuller.

5. Juls and Billy

Juls and Billy Member

Fancy Feast makes a zero carb food called Naturals. I found it at our local pet superstore. It might be worth a try for your overweight baby. 3oz can has @40 calories, where Classic pates have @90 depending on flavor and flaked varieties have between 80- 100 calories depending on flavor. Same amount of food but less calories might help your girl keep from getting hungry but lose some weight. I suggest only buying a few cans to start, if you decide to give the Naturals a try. Like many zero carb canned foods, the texture is a little gummy, something my cat decided was not for him after a few cans worth. Now, I mix a little of the Natural and a little of the pate, and he'll eat it that way.

As Ann mentioned, getting her moving will help too. Jumping is the best. Cat fishing poles and balls are great for getting a cat to jump. Laser pointer is great too, especially if you run it up the walls or up over furniture.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  6. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

@Juls and Billy - is this the Gourmet Naturals that you're referring to? If so, the 3oz can is around 95 calories. I didn't see any other "Naturals" that were lower in calories.

You might want to take a look at the information on Dr. Lisa's website about feline obesity. She has some good suggestions about how to help your kitty lose weight.

7. Juls and Billy

Juls and Billy Member

I took the calorie information straight from Dr. Pierson's Food Chart. On the chart, FF Naturals range from 41 to 47 calories per 3 ounces. Is the information on the chart incorrect? I would note that this is for the regular pate gourmet naturals. There are new ones "in gravy" that I have no information for.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  8. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I looked on the FF website and the calories were more but I'm not sure if it's the same product It's not something I use so I can't speak from experience

9. Dusty Bones

Dusty Bones Member

Freeze dried Purebites come in many flavors and are pure freeze dried protein. Just be careful how much you give him because it can cause constipation.

Si am cat mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.