queston on humulin N/Rebound?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by jan and Hep and sara (GA), Jun 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jan and Hep and sara (GA)

jan and Hep and sara (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi,

My friends cat was DX diabetic a couple of months ago and was perscribed humulin N. I have taught her how to hometest and she has been doing it on her own. When she was taking the cat for bg readings in the begining his curve was something like 250-300 through the day. This was on 1 unit. She asked about hometesting and they said actually it would save her money if she could do it at home.

The not so good advice is that they now have Hep up to 6 units BID. They did'nt give her a perscription for syringes with 1/2 markings and when they up it of course they just go up a unit. I think its been 1unit a week.

Heps #'s were 250-300 pretty much. I had taken some myself when I was showing her how to hometest. Although some of these were at +9. I have told her that it is possible for the vets to have gone over the right dose by not using 1/2 units. Now his #'s are high 300's and low 400's. She says that he looks worse and walks around crying. Which she says is new. I have her checking for keytones and he is neg.

I am going over there tomorrow. I suggested that she start over at 1unit. Now that she can hometest she can keep a log of his #'s. Also I told her it would be important to test for keytones.

Does this look anything like rebound to anyone else? My Sara is a lantus kitty and I'm not familar with humulin N, so I don't know if some of the same principals apply or not.

Also he is currently eating dry DM. I have told her to leave food out so if he was low he could eat if she was'nt there.

Any imput would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry this is so long.

jan and sara

2. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

What if you posted your question in the other forum?
    There is a subforum for Caninsulin/Vetsulin/Humulin N, and I bet they would have some good answers ans suggestions for you.

3. jan and Hep and sara (GA)

jan and Hep and sara (GA) Well-Known Member

Thanks Gayle,

I'll do that. I've always heard that they don't have as much traffic so I thought I'd try here first. Good idea. I'll do both.

4. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Sara, I bet you could likely find some others on LL that once used N.
    I bet several people have used a few different insulins. I know I have used Caninsulin, Lantus, and now Lev on Shadoe.

Good luck helping your friend and Hep. With syringes with 1/2 markings, I bet doses will be much easier to measure too. Thank goodness for home testing too.

5. Sweetgrass & the Furries

Sweetgrass & the Furries Member

Hi..I responded on Vetsulin, N isg :)

6. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

The test for rebound is to cut the dose in half, not to start over at 1 unit which could put the cat at risk for developing ketones.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.