Quick but Important Question from a Newbie!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Christine & Hooska (GA), Jul 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Christine & Hooska (GA)

Christine & Hooska (GA) New Member

Injecting our cat with insulin is very new to us, as is the whole feline diabetes thing...but thanks to this forum and other great internet sites, we're learning fast!

Tomorrow morning before my husband goes to work, he is going to give our cat his second insulin injection. Before he does, he's going to awaken me from very little sleep to participate (I'm the super detail-oriented one) and then stay awake long enough to watch our cat closely and monitor him post-injection to make sure he doesn't go into hypoglycemia. How long after a shot do we need to monitor him?

He'll get 1 unit of Lantus, which our vet said is very slow-acting. I will be staring at the cat and won't want to doze off again till I know he's safe. Does anybody know? I'll be checking this site as soon as I arise early Friday morning and would greatly appreciate any knowledge you could pass my way!

Blessings to all,
    Christine

2. Robert and Echo

Robert and Echo Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Lantus is slow acting and you'll probably be safe going back to sleep.

How will you monitoring your cat's glucose levels?

I am happy to hear that you are starting at such a low dose. Start low, go slow!

Best,
    Rebecca

3. JJ & Gwyn

JJ & Gwyn Member

I agree with Rebecca. When you have some time, you'll want to check out the stickies at the top of the Lantus forum, which will give you a lot more information on things like how to buy Lantus less expensively in the long run, how to store it so it lasts for months, and how it works (those are the stickies labelled "New to the Group? Please read", "Info - Proper Handling and Storage", and "Insulin Depot AKA Storage Shed".)

4. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Hi Christine,
    I think you had said that your vet had given Hooska the first shot of 2u yesterday at the office, yes? If I am correct, how did Hooska act after that?

I don't think you should see any big reaction, but if it makes you feel better, you could stay up for a half hour and sit with Hooska to watch him ... he will likely go back to sleep and think you are being silly, but that's ok.

With Lantus, there is a shed that builds up the first few days, so you won't be seeing all too much at the very start.
    LANTUS & LEVEMIR – INSULIN DEPOT –AKA- STORAGE SHED

Even after the shed is filled and all of the insulin is going to help Hooska, it still takes a few hours before you see any noticeable reaction. You can see from the below that it's not something immediate.
    Mine take 3 and 4hrs before I see some reactions, so I think a wee BTB would be fine for you.
    How to do a Curve
    Example of a typical curve:
    +0 - PreShot number.
    +1 – Usually higher than PreShot number because of the last shot wearing off. May see a food spike in this number.
    +2 - Often similar to the PreShot number.
    +3 - Lower than the PreShot number, onset has started.
    +4 - Lower.
    +5 - Lower.
    +6 – Nadir/Peak (the lowest number of cycle).
    +7 - Surf (hang around the nadir number).
    +8 - Slight rise.
    +9 - Slight rise.
    +10 - Rising.
    +11 - Rising (may dip around +10 or +11).
    +12 - PreShot number.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.