Quite Nervous

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jenna and Widget, Jul 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jenna and Widget

Jenna and Widget New Member

Hello everyone, I take Widget to the vet tomorrow to start her on insulin and hopefully get her back on track to being her normal cuddly self.
    I have had a fear of needles since I was young and the thought of having to inject her scares me. I've watched video after video on how to do it, but I think my biggest fear is actually accidentally poking my fingers while tenting her skin.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Hi Jenna, welcome to FDMB. This is good place to learn about Feline Diabetes and how to take care of Widget. Are you also going to learn to home test Widget's blood sugar levels so that you know how the insulin is affecting her? It's the best way to prevent Widget having a hypoglycemic event, a very low blood sugar. Humans always test before injecting insulin, to prevent having a hypo. Please come over to the Main Forum to post questions and concerns, more eyes on that forum to get some faster responses. We all started out feeling dismayed and some of us downright scared, we all learned to take good care of our fur babies, and we are here to help you.
    Link to Main Forum : http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/feline-health-the-main-forum.28/

Noah & me (GA) likes this.
  3. Jenna and Widget

Jenna and Widget New Member

Hello. Yes, I believe I will be coming home with a glucometer as well.
    I've been reading thread after thread and have found comfort in knowing its not just scary for me.

beggargirl and Noah & me (GA) like this.
  4. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

That's okay Jenna. I wasn't scared of poking myself, more terrified of poking a hole in poor Nigel's eye with what looked like a dagger. When I was being taught how I caught the tech looking at her watch, that didn't help much. Then we went home and paced back and forth staring at the cat, "Is he dead or just sleeping". That was a very long time and two cats ago.
    I get screaming migraines and now I can do this in the dark. Very soon this will be as easy as eating frozen cookie dough.:rolleyes:

5. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Welcome! Widget is a cute name, and I love the pose in the photo. :cat: Is Widget on a high-protein, low-carb wet food diet? Maybe you will be one of the very fortunate ones who has a cat whose glucose levels can be managed with diet change alone. If not, maybe this will be a good way for you to overcome that fear of needles! I never dealt with so many needles in my life. You may occasionally poke yourself. If you are careful, it will not be a regular occurrence, but it does happen. It will hurt for a couple of seconds, then it will be over. You will be fine!

Jenna and Widget likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.