Ragnar disappearing at shot/test times

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Shirley and Ragnar, May 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shirley and Ragnar

Shirley and Ragnar Member

I moved this here from the Lantus board since it relates to timing shots and tests regardless of the insulin.

Ragnar has been disappearing lately, just before shot time and test time. I'm very careful not to let him see me fill a syringe or bring out the test kit, so if he's hiding, he is picking up something really subliminal. But an alternate explanation just ran across the floor in front of me. He might not be hiding - he might be mousing! His timing might be coincidence.

Whatever his motivation, it affects the timing of his shots; threw it off by 4 hours a couple of days ago. I then have to work back, 1 hour at a time, to a more reasonable time of day.

I really appreciated the suggestions from those in the Lantus forum (though I was already doing much of it) and would welcome more. I found a couple of catnip plants in my yard, and with the help of fresh catnip, got his shots and test in today on time.

Does anyone else have a cat who disappears just before shot/test time (even though he might be accessible the rest of the day)? What do you do about it? I appreciate all suggestions; the last two nights I had to set the alarm for 3:30, then 2:30 AM to give shots and hardly had any sleep. Needless to say, I'm setting the mousetrap again (Ketch-All live trap; release mice at least 5 miles away; humane for the mice and safe for Ragnar).

Blessings!

2. Marvie and Tugger

Marvie and Tugger Well-Known Member

Not a problem I ever had with Tugger. My little piggy learned right quick that he didn't get his foods or treats unless he came to get poked. I actually had the opposite problem, he'd come TO ME and ask for a test :lol:

I started off early with giving him treats for his tests and shots. I found something he loveloveloved and only used it for tests/shots. In the end his very favorite thing in the world is a darned dog treat! Freeze Dried Chicken (also come in beef, fish and some other flavor) treats in the dog section of Petsmart or Petco. One store sells Prime Bites and the other sells Pure Bites. I forget which is which.

I call this stuff FDCC (freeze dried chicken crack) because all 7 of my little crackheads come crawling out of the woodwork when I get the FDCC out. I have to keep it in a Tupperware container, behind closed doors. I may have to add a padlock soon if my little Snowshoe finally figures out how to open that door!

It's a bit pricey, but the stuff goes a long way when you're giving it to cats. I break up a few of the bigger chunks and give everyone a piece or two, then it gets put away till the next test or shot.

I think the key to getting Tugger to come to me to ask for his tests was that I never give him those treats for any other purpose. Nail clipping and ear cleaning do earn him treats, but different treats. Only took a couple of days for him to clue in on that. He's been OTJ for a bit now and he still comes to beg for FDCC, even though he knows it means I'll stick his ear. He doesn't do it multiple times a day anymore, but he still comes and slaps me at least once a day for it. While I don't record every number anymore I know he's steadily riding around the 60's and 70's and he's still getting his favorite noms =)

3. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

Mine are the same as Tugger - they come running for their food. As soon as they hear me touch a dish they are on the run. Be 5 minutes late and Smokey is standing behind me yelling her head off.

Can you try to get him confined a little while prior to shot time so that he can't roam away?

Any treats he really likes that you can put into something that makes a loud enough distinctive sound? As I said, ours can here the clink of the small china dishes we've always given them their treat food in and they come running. If I need them to come, I just clink a couple dishes together and I have 3 under my feet whining within a minute.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.