911 ?? Ran out of caninsulin

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Red'sMomHeather, Jun 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Red'sMomHeather

Red'sMomHeather Member

I got confused about what day it was...thought it was Friday when it was Saturday...so when I went to go to my clinic after I was done work I realized what I had done and that they were closed. They are also closed today (Sunday). So now I'm left with a half dose of insulin for this morning and none for tonight. I've called a couple of clinics and their only suggestion is to call the emergency number for my clinic which I know comes with a very hefty fine. Is this an emergency?? I know I'd be able to get more first thing tomorrow morning. Help!!

2. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Ah the best laid plans of mice and men....:) I'd give the half dose this morning, consider it a 'fur shot' this evening.....and get more in the morning. He may run high until then but no different than if you'd shot thru the tent. If it were me, I sure wouldn't go the 'emergency' route for this short of time. If it was going to be 2-3 days that would be different but just today, nah....

HUGS too!

Red'sMomHeather likes this.
  3. Red'sMomHeather

Red'sMomHeather Member

Thank you. That sounds reasonable.

The only vet available today said they'd have to not only see him but run tests and that would be more money than the emergency visit.

And sorry for the double post. I couldn't figure out how to change it to 911 and then I couldn't figure out how to delete the other post. Ugh. I need a vacation. lol

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Check my signature link Secondary Monitoring Tools so you can assess his health. In particular, get urine test strips to monitor for ketones. You may have to ask at the pharmacy counter. More than a trace of ketones and you need to see a vet asap.

5. Red'sMomHeather

Red'sMomHeather Member

I do have some. As soon as I get a chance to test today I will. Thanks.

6. Red'sMomHeather

Red'sMomHeather Member

Negative for ketones. :)
    His bg is high but as he's still unregulated it's actually not far out of reach. In all other ways he's perfectly normal.

Squeaky and KT (GA) likes this.
  7. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Cats can tolerate high glucose for a bit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.