raw diet vitamin B overdose - ANSWERED, thanks

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Andrew and Mim, Jan 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andrew and Mim

Andrew and Mim Member

I've just realized I wrongly assumed one tablet=100mg. It is actually 1000mg meaning I've been adding way too much of this. I wasn't going full-strength, only half, but it still means 5 times the amount intended.

Have I done Mim any harm? Is this likely to be why his numbers have gone so high? What do I do now?

2. Victoria & Sundance

Victoria & Sundance Member

Re: Urgent - raw diet vitamin B overdose

Are you sure it's not 1000mcg (µg)?

1000mg is one whole gram... which is a lot and I don't think they have them that size.

Please check your bottle. Many people here give 3000mcg (µg) of the Methyl B12....

Please let me know what the bottle says and what the recommended dose is on the bottle.

PS: part of what I'm saying is that I think you might be given far too little at this point, if I'm correct about the mcg(µg).

One more PS: Here is the Pet Diabetes Wiki on Neuropathy - is has the amounts needed listed there. 3mg seems to be the dose.... I gave Sundance 3000mcg (µg).

3. Andrew and Mim

Andrew and Mim Member

I'm using Dr.Lisa's recipe - the rate she recommends is 100mg per 3 pounds of raw meat. So I've calculated that to be 74mg/kg.

4. Victoria & Sundance

Ok.. so it's regular vitamin B then, not the Methyl B12 for neuropathy?

I'm sorry Andrew... I didn't know you were putting it in the food for the recipe. I thought your subject line was just to state that he's eating raw and you gave him a vitamin B overdose.

How much food have you made with it now? Can you simply let it work its way out of Mim's body and see if that helps the numbers?

5. Andrew and Mim

Andrew and Mim Member

He's only been on the raw for about 10 days, so I'll now add the *correct* amount & see what happens.

Thanks V :D

6. Victoria & Sundance

Do you make it each day? I really think you should send Dr. Lisa an email or PM about this to see what she suggests - whether or not you need to leave it out of the food to let it clear or if you can continue to give it but at the right dose.

7. Andrew and Mim

Andrew and Mim Member

Thanks Victoria - I've been making it in batches (about 1 week worth). I've chatted with Michelle at LL who thinks things will be ok, so I'll continue with the *right* amount now.

8. Victoria & Sundance

Ok... But Andrew... In my search to help, I could not find 1000 mg of any Vitamin B. What kind are you using? Do you have a link to their webpage?

They seem to all come in 50 - 100 mg size.

I'm sorry, but I'm worried that it's not the right stuff or the right amount. Why are the vitamins so big? It doesn't seem reasonable since that is way more than a human should have in a day too.

And I'm learning this stuff too so that I can eventually make Barclay's raw. Right now he's eating commercially made and loves it, but I'm not convinced it has all he needs or that it's the best option for my wallet. This is why I'm sticking to this now...

9. Janet & Binky (GA)

Janet & Binky (GA) Senior Member Staff Member Moderator

Hi, Andrew. As I'm sure you know, there really is no such thing as "vitamin B". There are about a dozen different substances which are, as a class, called "B vitamins". Vitamin B1 is thiamine, B2 is riboflavin, B3 is niacin, B6 is pyridoxine, B12 is cobalamin, and so forth.

I've always interpreted "100 mg B-vitamin complex" as "one of those pills that has 100 mg each of most B-vitamins, and 100 mcg of vitamin B-12". (I actually use 2 B-50s, which I crush with a mortar and pestle before adding it to the liquid mix.) We'll see if Dr. Lisa thinks this is the correct way to do it.

Even if we're both wrong, overdosing B-vitamins is harmless.

-- Janet

10. Victoria & Sundance

Janet, I have read that it's hard to overdose on Methyl B12 but I have read in several places on the net (on the net mind you) that you can have an overdose with symptoms of other B vitamins. This page states that an overdose of B3/ and biotin can give you higher blood sugar. http://www.acu-cell.com/bx2.html

I thought that might be relevant here if that is true.

11. Andrew and Mim

Andrew and Mim Member

Re: raw diet vitamin B overdose - continued

Here is what is listed on the jar:

Thiamine hydrochloride (vitamin B1)....100 mg
    Riboflavin (vitamin B2)....................100 mg
    Nicotinamide................................100 mg
    Calcium pantothenate......................110 mg
    Pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6)....100 mg
    Cyanocobalamin (vitamin B12)............100 mcg
    Folic acid.....................................200 mcg
    Inositol.......................................50 mg
    Choline bitartrate...........................50 mg
    Biotin (vitamin H)...........................100 mcg

I welcome comments!

12. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

andrew, my belief is that they just pee the excess vitamin B out. so no worries. :)

13. Mal and Tubby (GA)

Mal and Tubby (GA) Member

Got this at TECHARP:
    (CNN) -- Carole Grant doesn't really trust medical doctors. She never has. Whenever she has had a health issue, she has headed straight for an herbalist, acupuncturist or other "natural" healer.

A few years ago, her alternative practitioner of choice was a self-described "intuitive healer" in New York, where she lives. The healer put Grant on a regimen of herbs, supplements and vitamins to help her lose weight.

A few weeks later, Grant, a geriatric care manager, was closing up an apartment for an elderly client who'd died when she started feeling strange sensations in her toes.

"They were tingling like crazy," Grant said. "I thought it was the carpet in the apartment, because it was old and dirty, and I'd taken my shoes off."

When the tingling in her toes spread to her feet, Grant knew that it was more than just the dingy carpet. When it spread to her legs, she knew that she was really in trouble.

"Both legs went numb up to my knees," she remembers.

Grant sought help from a podiatrist, who insisted that she get care from a medical doctor. Grant chose Dr. Roberta Lee, vice chairwoman of the Department of Integrative Medicine at the Beth Israel Medical Center in Manhattan.

After some testing, Lee discovered the reason for Grant's numbness: She had sky-high amounts of vitamin B6 in her blood, which can interfere with circulation.
    There's lots more but thats the point. :smile:

14. Janet & Binky (GA)

Janet & Binky (GA) Senior Member Staff Member Moderator

I stand corrected!

I should have said, "This degree of overdose is harmless". I'm aware of the B6 issue (but not the other two), but I don't think it's a problem in these quantities. For humans, the B6 overdose level is something like 500 mg/day, which would be roughly equivalent to 50 mg/day in a cat.

15. Lisa dvm

Lisa dvm Member

Correct.

Andrew, don't add them up! They are just B-100s. Janet explains it well above.

You are making this far too complicated. :D Don't drive yourself nuts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.