Raw Foof

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Dark, Apr 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark

Dark New Member

Hi everyone! This is my first post however I have come here for quite a few questions I needed answered with my newly diagnosed kitty Marbles.

Were currently on our first 3 week trial on insulin to decided how much she needs, we go back next thursday to check her levels.

My question is how many of you are on raw? I did a test today and tried feeding marbles the diabetic food the vet recommended and she spiked to 225mg/do

On raw she was 109-159

What are some of the raw food schedules as far as amounts and types? I'm looking to really dive into it as it seems to REALLY bring down her levels.

In the past I've used weruva and big country raw and switch up days. Some days fish or farm mix or chicken.

2. Tanya and Ducia

Tanya and Ducia Well-Known Member

Hi, welcome,
    A lot of people on raw diet here - @Bobbie And Bubba
    @Stacy & Asia for instance.
    by marbles do you mean dry kibbles, like maybe Hills Diet? It is awfully high in carbs and not FD friendly at ll. Not surprised at the B 225 read.
    I would go back to raw right away and start monitoring the BG levels carefully - you might need a very small dose to keep her just a bit lower.

What type of insulin?
    By raw food - do you mean home made balanced w/ supplements or a commercial raw ones?
    Do you have any kind of BG test results history? Can we see it?

ETA: "by marbles do you mean dry kibbles, like maybe Hills Diet?" never mind that, I misread and thought you were talking about food type.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
    Reason for edit: clarif.
  3. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome. You don't need to change your raw diet and use a Vet recommended diet as the raw is 0% carbs and depending on what your vet RX it could be a lot more resulting in higher BG's like you experienced. How long has Marbles been on raw?

I switched to raw last year. I am currently feeding 3 raw proteins, chicken, turkey, and pork. My food schedule is 6 AM and Test, Feed, Shot( T/F/S) I give .90 oz ( I use digital scales to measure out the amount) then another .90 oz at 9:30 AM and another portion at 12:30Pm. I repeat it during the PM cycle and only deviate if I need to steer him up from a lower number, I may have to feed sooner or again.

As far as the amount of food, my portion is specific to Bubba's weight. He is a big cat, 17.5 lbs so he gets 5.4 oz of raw food a day to maintain his weight.

How much food were you previously feeding Marbles? Is he at a good weight or does he have to gain back some or lose some?

Since you are all ready testing Marbles, you don't need to go to the vet for a curve. You can do them yourself at home. When kitties go to the vet they are super stressed and their BG can go up by 150-200 points! And then the vet bases his dose on that inflated higher number.

If you set up a Spread Sheet and start keeping track of testing, we can help you with dosing questions. What insulin are you using? And what is your current dose? The instructions are Here

Also, are you using a human meter?

Bellasmom and Tanya and Ducia like this.
  4. Dark

Dark New Member

Marbles is my cats name :cat:

As we just started monitoring I only have 3 results. I test 10 and 10
    Tuesday
    10am 109
    10pm 159

Wednesday
    10am 225

I have started with commercial raw food. I'll be switching to a smaller company call niagaraw

Insulting type is: Lantus
    2units

@Tanya and Ducia

5. Dark

Dark New Member

Marbles has been on raw for about 2 months now but I feel like I definitely need to switch up companies. The current on has dropped their bone content.

Were on 2 units of lantus insulin.

Im using AT2 meter with its brand strips, I'll be switching to the freestyle lite strips (just bought 50 for 20$ yesterday)

@Bobbie And Bubba

Bellasmom and Bobbie And Bubba like this.
  6. Tanya and Ducia

Tanya and Ducia Well-Known Member

Good morning,
    the BG read on Tu is nice and low. If yo u are currently feeding her what the Vet Rxed (I suspect higher carbs than any raw - home made or commercial) then 2U Lantus is ok dose probably.

But if you are going back to the no/ or low carbs than I'd say 2 U might be too much...

The high carbs solid food stays in the cat's system for a while and keeps the BG levels elevated- it could be up to several cycles. How elevated ot for how long vary per cat.

Taking some mid cycle tests can keep her safe from going too low and also to evaluate the dose properly. Lantus dose depends on the lowest point of the cycle - how low the dose takes the cat - and not on pre-shot values like some other older types of insulin.

Ones you have her on the raw only her insulin requirements might be greatly reduced.

7. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

Wellcome!

Congratulations on testing at home is great that you are doing it

Her insulin needs will be changing depending on a big number of factors (what he eats, how much exercise he makes on a given day, if he gets ill or just because ) so you'll probably have to be periodically adjusting the dose that is why home testing is so important insulin is not a medicine and odds are you are not going to have a fixed dose

The recommendation is that you ALWAYS test before you shoot to keep him safe, and if possible get another reading during the day (mid cycle - 12 hour period between his shoots) and another test 2 or 3 hours after his night shoot ( before you go to sleep ) to make sure everything is going ok.

Here we use two protocols for Lantus (thight regulation and Start Low Go Slow), you can take a look at them and decide which one suits you best

This is the link to the Lantus forum where you will find a lot of information about how it works and the protocols http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...the-basics-new-to-the-group-start-here.18139/

8. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Which raw are you feeding? They aren’t all zero carb. Primal for example is low carb but not zero.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.