? Reaction to Med? 08/26/18 Squallie AMPS 98, +3/87

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Squalliesmom, Aug 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Last post

Sorry I wasn't around yesterday, I had some kind of flu or bug that hit me really hard; couldn't keep anything down, and ended with a particularly nasty migraine. It was really miserable. But I am feeling better now, just sore and achy from throwing up so much.

Squallie is doing well! We have made eating breakfast into a game - he eats the small amount of wet I want him to eat (it has his meds in it!) and then I give him some dry. Once we have this well-established, we'll try it at dinnertime, too. I am determined to get him back on the wet food if at all possible! Aside from eating, he is just his usual sweet, loving self. Still gaining weight, happy and purry, still slaying poor Vinnie with just a look, lol. All these are good signs, to me. :)

2. Chubba (GA)

Chubba (GA) Well-Known Member

Wonderful Squallie update. Hope you are feeling better soon. :bighug:

Squalliesmom likes this.
  3. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry you were sick. I'm glad you are doing better today and hope you feel completely well soon. Great update for Squallie!

Sending prayers.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  4. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Glad your feeling better. Squallie glad your still giving the look.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  5. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Hope you are feeling better and glad Squallie is!

Squalliesmom likes this.
  6. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Those are FABULOUS Super Squallie signs , Lucy :):bighug::) Glad to hear you are on the mend and taking it easy . Sounds like a feet up ,comfy pants on day to me :bighug: Migraines are sucky:mad: :( Be good to you !!!:bighug:❤️:bighug:❤️

Squalliesmom and Beck and Philly like this.
  7. Beck and Philly

Beck and Philly Well-Known Member

I agree with Beth. Time to take care of you!
    Maybe you need some type of soft food followed by some crunchies. It's working for Squallie. I'd suggest ice cream and cookies.

8. Beth 73

Ahhh, Beck, great minds thinking alike :):bighug: I’ve alwsys found ice cream to be quite medicinal ;)

9. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

or a good stiff drink (once you feel up to it)

10. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

I hear there will be fish ice cream at the full moon party tonight. Maybe Squallie will bring back some for you.

Glad Squallie is doing well, and glad that you're feeling better.

11. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

:cat::bighug::cat:

Yay. Great news. Especially the weight gain and back to sweet, loving self.

12. Sonia & Leo

Sonia & Leo Well-Known Member

I'm so happy you're both feeling better :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Squalliesmom likes this.
  13. Beth 73

Good morning , Lucy and Sweetest Squallie :bighug: Sending Prayers thst body aches are gone and Squallie has an even better day :woot: Onward dnd upward , Squallie Bear :bighug: Take good care of momma ❤️

Jill & Jade and Squalliesmom like this.
  14. Jill & Jade

Jill & Jade Well-Known Member

I'm so happy to read that you're both feeling better!!!:bighug::)

Squalliesmom likes this.
  15. Squalliesmom

Well, I’m back at the vet with Squallie and it is not good news. The vet says the mass is MUCH larger than the last time he felt it and he thinks it’s blocking Squallie’s colon. I don’t think surgery is an option. My heart is breaking.

16. Carol in Chicago

Carol in Chicago Member

Oh no. I so very much hope the vet is wrong!

Is his assessment based on just a manual exam? Since he has been feeling good, I would want a more definitive diagnosis.

Hugs and more hugs to you both! :bighug:

Squalliesmom and Beth 73 like this.
  17. Jill & Jade

That is heartbreaking. I’m so very very sorry for you and your boy.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  18. Beth 73

Lucy , my heart goes out to you and Squallie :bighug: Makes me wonder with how good he’s eating and acting ... could the vet be wrong ? Could this be inflammation or backed up poo? . Is there nothing to give in case this is inflamed tissue ? What else could it be to try treatment ? Still doesn’t sound definite . Sending love, hugs , hope and prayers that Squallie continues to defy the reports and peace for your heart .:bighug:❤️:bighug:❤️:bighug:❤️

19. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

20. Beck and Philly

I hate to hear that, Lucy! Huge hugs!!!!

If that's true, please try not to actively think about his illness. It's so hard to put into words, but if you can think of him as Squallie vs sick Squallie, the days with him can still feel normal and happy instead of shadowed by worry.

21. Squalliesmom

I am just gutted. I don't know exactly what I expected to happen, but I did not expect this mass to grow this fast. The vet says it's obstructing about 2/3 of his colon, now. I asked if it could be just inflammation that might go down again; he said it was possible but, in all honesty, he didn't think so. He said the piroxicam is supposed to shrink it and, if it doesn't - and apparently it isn't - , there's really not much more we can do. So right now, the best thing we can do is to medicate him to deliberately try to give him diarrhea. :(:(:(:(:(:(:(

22. Beth 73

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:❤️.... day at a time , Lucy . :bighug:

23. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

:bighug:

Holding you guys in my heart and prayers.

24. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

Hope you feel better Lucy, super glad Squallie is feeling some better and eating :bighug::bighug::bighug:you continue to be in my prayers at night

Squalliesmom likes this.
  25. Sonia & Leo

Sonia & Leo Well-Known Member

Awww Lucy, I'm so sorry. :(

Squalliesmom likes this.
  26. carfurby (GA)

I'm sorry Lucy. I hope you can make Squallie comfortable. Maybe the HV can help with that. Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

27. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Sending some peaceful, calming energy your way ... :bighug::bighug::bighug:

28. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

(((Lucy))), Let's hope and pray that it is something that will resolve on it's own. Squallie continues to feel good and that's what matters most. Take your cue from your kitty. Maybe all the meds are messing with his systems.
    We are sending a beautiful bouquet of healing vines for your boy this evening. Think positively! Squallie loves you.

:bighug::bighug::bighug: and scritches,

29. Beth 73

Amen, Ella, heartfelt amen ❤️ Well said ❤️

Squalliesmom and Beck and Philly like this.
  30. Beck and Philly

Reading the pain in your words has tears in my eyes. Take a deep breath. I think my first post to you was about our cats being tough Maryland kitties. Well, we are tough Maryland kitty mamas. We'll get through this. I'm here if there's anything I can do.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
    Jill & Jade, Squalliesmom and Beth 73 like this.
  31. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Oh Lucy:bighug: sending vines and prayers and positive thoughts for you and sweet Squallie. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Squalliesmom likes this.
  32. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

33. Carol & Murphy (GA)

What Sharon said, Lucy. Praying for you and Squallie

Squalliesmom likes this.
  34. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

More vines coming yours and Squallie's way! :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Squalliesmom likes this.
  35. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

Did he have an ultra sound? One of the posts I read said her kitty had a large cyst .Maybe the vet is mistaken.
    One of my kitties had cancer. She was 20 years old. I had surgery done and she did fine Lived to be 23. & died peacefully laying next to me.
    Don't get discouraged. He sounds like he's doing good.

Sending you & Kitty love & healing energy! :):bighug:

Squalliesmom likes this.
  36. Squalliesmom

-I just gave Squallie his second dose of Lactulose, and he is acting really strange. He acted like something hurt his mouth, like maybe he'd been stung or something, jumped into a chair and circled around it it several times, then sat down and made the vomit cry, but didn't vomit. He keeps drawing his lips back and kind of shaking his head and swallowing, and he won't look at anyone . He doesn't want to be petted or comforted, and until just now, didn't want to stay still for very long. Anybody have any ideas? Have I killed my cat by giving him his medication???? Did he maybe aspirate some of it??? I don't know and I'm terrified!

ETA: He is breathing rapidly, too, about 60/min.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  37. Taffysmama

Taffysmama Well-Known Member

Oh, gosh, I'm not up to speed, was just reading a post about Squallie's recent dental and then saw your 911...
    What's happening now?

38. Taffysmama

Is his breathing labored? Do you think you just maybe hit a tender spot in his mouth when you administered? So worried about you guys right now, praying everything is okay.

39. Squalliesmom

He seems a little bit better, still breathing really fast, not curling his lips back and swallowing anymore. He's stopped circling and moving around, is lying down facing away from me. he won't look at me, but I think that's probably because he thinks I poisoned him (trying to find some humor here, sorry). As I'm watching him, I think his breathing is slowing down some, too. His reaction was truly bizarre, to me, I've never seen a cat do that lip thing, and the circling, all of it was just weird. And scary. He does seem more like himself now, I think he's going to be okay. I hope.

ETA: He had no reaction whatsoever to the med the first time he got it today.

40. Taffysmama

I always worry about aspiration when I administer meds... Taffy has a really tight mouth and he doesn't have that pocket in his cheek like most cats. So I go really really slowly with him especially with the lactulose cuz it's such a sticky syrup... I try to just put like a drop and make sure he swallows and then I also have water handy so I can give him a little squirt of water right after. I know some cats get gas and some stomach pain sometimes from lactulose, at least that's what I've read. I usually give smaller dose than what the doctor prescribes, since Taffy is getting older he doesn't seem to need as much but then I'm just trying to soften his stools when he's constipated, from what I've skimmed over reading about Squallie, he's got some sort of a mass which I'm really sorry about.
    but the reaction you describe sort of sounds to me like maybe something hurt him in his mouth when you gave him the dose did you use a plastic syringe? I was just reading before I saw your 911 that he'd had a recent Dental (because I need to take taffy in for a dental this week and I'm really freaked out and nervous about it so I was looking at posts about dentals), do you think you hit a tender spot in his mouth or something maybe something just really hurt and he was just reacting to that and now he's mad at you.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  41. PussCatPrince - GA

PussCatPrince - GA Well-Known Member

Lucy.
    Do you think he had a Flehmen response maybe brought on by his recovering sinuses.

Any chance of getting him to a vet? The circling is a bit concerning.

loves
    M

Squalliesmom likes this.
  42. Squalliesmom

Well, I don't think it's a life and death emergency anymore, thankfully. He seems much better now. It's been about an hour-and-a-half since he had the Lactulose. My son asked the same question, about maybe hitting a tender spot, but the reaction was much greater than what I would expect from hitting a sore spot. And weirder. Do you think he might have aspirated some of it? He hates having anything syringed in his mouth, so I always try to be extra-careful. He fights it so it's hard to tell sometimes exactly where it's going.

Squallie did wonderfully well with the dental. I was terrified, but he came through like a champ. What is Taffy having done? Squallie has all his chompers removed, he was in surgery about 2 1/2 hours. I'm sure Taffy will do well, too. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

43. Taffysmama

So sorry for the run-ons and lack of punctuation, I'm dictating to type because I've gotten lazy and I don't like to do corrections anymore when I try to type with my fingers, lol.

I really hope Squallie is doing better! You gave me a panic...I already panic about everything that goes on with my cats and I kind of don't come on the board that much anymore because every time something bad happens I just get freaked out, so I'm thinking of you guys and I hope that Squallie's okay.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  44. Squalliesmom

Honestly, M, I don't know. It was just weird, really weird. He acted like he'd just swallowed something toxic. Or been stung by something. I've never seen a cat act that way before. He's doing better now, his breathing has finally slowed down. He still wants no parts of me!

ETA: He almost acted like he was having small seizures. It scared the hack out of me!

Thanks for responding, miss you around the place. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

45. Squalliesmom

No apology necessary! I appreciate your responding, I was really panicking. I know what you mean about getting freaked out, I share your feelings. Some days it's really hard to come here.

Taffysmama likes this.
  46. Taffysmama

We don't know yet, exactly...I know he has some bad teeth, but he can't be examined well until under. I've never had a cat with such a tough mouth/cheeks, impossible to get a good look.

I'm keeping you & Squallie in my thoughts, sending Vines, everything...

Squalliesmom likes this.
  47. Squalliesmom

Squallie had FORLS, so we knew going in it was going to be a full mouth extraction. I'll keep you and Taffy in my thoughts and prayers as well, for his dental.

Taffysmama likes this.
  48. Taffysmama

TY ;)
    I was doing quick research... Maybe something about the taste of the Lac just got him, and caused like an instant nausea.. .?
    I'm not thinking his next dose will be easy :nailbiting:

Squalliesmom likes this.
  49. Squalliesmom

Maybe? I know, I'm scared to death to give him his next dose! :nailbiting::nailbiting:

50. Taffysmama

Take care, let's try to sleep!

Squalliesmom likes this.
  51. Squalliesmom

He's still not himself. He's meatloafing now, but holding his head up, which he never does. I just can't imagine what in the world happened! :( I feel terrible!

52. JoyBee&Ravan

Did you read up on the side effects of this drug? Just because a vet prescribed it doesn't mean your cat won't have a bad reaction. If it's for constipation Slippery elm works great & Is Safe! Please read the article about SEB Slippery Elm https://draxe.com/slippery-elm/
    Your poor kitty has been through so much I can't even imagine how horrible it must have been to remove his teeth!

I'd leave the poor baby alone How much more can he endure? Ella & Rusty said it right!

Side effects of lactulose include:

53. JoyBee&Ravan

These WISE Dr.s have some Great advice!

54. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh no, poor Squallie! And poor you, that sounds terrifying!

It doesn't sound (to me) like it's a reaction to the med itself-- too immediate. I'm guessing either it was just a coincidental thing, or else maybe the little bit of stress from the administering of the med triggered something. It could have been "just one of those things", but it's the last thing either of you need right now :(. Probably another call to the vet is in order in the morning, just to run down possibilities (keeping in mind that your vet really seems to be a believer in giving the worst-case scenario at all times).

Hope Squallie is feeling better, and hope you were able to get some sleep after that. Hang in there. :bighug: :bighug: :bighug:

55. carfurby (GA)

56. Shoeskitty-GA

Shoeskitty-GA Well-Known Member

Just now seeing these posts after the scary episode! No ideas here but prayers and hugs Lucy!:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

57. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Lucy, it's morning now and I hope things have settled down with Squallie and he is back to normal. I would definitely call the vet first thing :bighug::bighug:

58. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

59. Beth 73

Lucy and Squallie :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug: Glad he settled down and praying you both got some sleep . Can’t help but wonder if his whole GI tract isn’t reacting to the inducing of diarrhea....not to be gross but we know how our stomachs and intestines feel when we are experiencing that ... no fun :( Sending continual prayers and love to you both ❤️❤️❤️

Squalliesmom likes this.
  60. Beck and Philly

Is it possible that you bumped that little piece of tooth or white object that you saw in his gums? Or could it have worked out?

Squalliesmom and Beth 73 like this.
  61. Squalliesmom

Yes, thanks, I never give my cats any medications without first researching and discussing with my vet any potential side effects. His reaction last night to the Lactulose was not a side effect of the medication; rather, it was more like a sudden and extreme allergic reaction.

SEB is wonderful stuff, I have used it many times with great success. I am convinced it’s one of the things that saved my little Bengal girl’s life.

Squallie had to have his teeth removed because he had FORLS, a very painful condition that has no remedy except removal of the affected tooth/teeth. He came through the surgery with flying colors and, with the exception of one tiny bone or tooth fragment that got left behind and is working it’s way out, has recovered with no ill effects. He can even still eat dry food, lol!

His issue right now is a likely cancerous mass on his colon, not related in any way to his dental. It is causing a partial obstruction so we are trying to keep his stools as soft as possible to make it easier for him to pass them, hence the lactulose.

While he is still with me and not suffering, I will do everything humanly possible to care for him and treat his condition, while still maintaining his quality of life. If we reach a point where life is no longer happy for him, I will make the necessary decision to help him over the Bridge.

ETA: If I were to “leave him alone” as you suggest, he would die a slow, painful death.

62. Beth 73

Lucy , came to me if you couldn’t back dose off by half and see what happens . Thst there might be spasms/ pressure exerted by the poo in his pipeline ? Wracking my brain and praying for outside the box ideas .:bighug:❤️:bighug:❤️:bighug:❤️:bighug:

Squalliesmom likes this.
  63. JoyBee&Ravan

Don't you think the SEB might help instead of the Lactulose? Especially if he had an allergic reaction? :)

64. Jill & Jade

I hope you and your furry little man have a better day today....:bighug:

65. Shoeskitty-GA

You are doing a wonderful job caring for Squallie! Please hang in there and ignore anyone that implies that you are not.
    :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

66. Squalliesmom

Thanks Sandi. ❤️ Right now I'm just trying to take in that Squallie's and my time together is almost at an end. I don't know how to do that.

PussCatPrince - GA likes this.
  67. Beth 73

:bighug:❤️:bighug:❤️:bighug:❤️:bighug:❤️:bighug:

68. Shoeskitty-GA

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Squalliesmom likes this.
  69. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

When Rusty had to take lactulose I mixed the prescribed amount into Fancy Feast Tender Turkey for Kittens. He liked the taste.

I hope that things will settle down today and that Squallie will be feeling and acting more normal. It is not easy to contemplate the farewell. Squallie will let you know when it is his time. Until then, just love him as he loves you.

:bighug::bighug::bighug:s and scritches,

70. PussCatPrince - GA

PussCatPrince - GA Well-Known Member

Don't go there with that Lucy. There is time enough ahead so don't tangle your mind with that one . Be in the present best you can.

I'm with you on this. I sorta doubt it was anything to do with the Lactulose itself & I wonder if he didn't have a 'turn' which has left him feeling rotten. As in a small seizure /TIA. Is his blood pressure usually normal ? All this whilst remembering he has that mass which may upset all manner of bodily balances without giving notice.

Not wishing to sound or be dramatic but maybe a call or visit to the vet is in order.

As for teeth removal. Well that was the best and healthiest thing that could be done for Squalls. Dentals are just so important even if our pusscats are super seniors .Ty had the same and managed perfectly well toothless as our vet hospital and staff said he would.

You and Squalls are as one L & you are a perfect person for Squalls.

xx

71. Squalliesmom

Thank you so much, M. :bighug:❤️:bighug:

72. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Becky & Baby Girl GA Well-Known Member

You are a fantastic cat momma! Praying for you both with lots of big :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Squalliesmom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.