Real Food Toppers-Where to buy

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Harley and Pattie, Jun 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harley and Pattie

Harley and Pattie Well-Known Member

A week or so ago, I was looking at some threads and one talked about a freeze dried treat that comes in the dog department. I cannot remember the name or the thread it was in. Can anyone remember the name of the treats. I have tried the Liv-a-Little with Harley and he will not touch the stuff. I also thought (or heard along the way) that you cannot use dog food stuff with cats. Is that true or does it not count with the treats.

Will this be the same as feeding raw as a treat - no carbs. I am trying to manage his bg and I think that my feeding FF mid-day is giving me the higher bg by evening.

Any help would be appreciated. Harley loves his treats!

Pattie

2. Karen & Angus(GA)

Karen & Angus(GA) Member

Re: Freeze Dried Treats

Petco carries the Pure Bites brand. They are all low carb, but organ meats like liver and heart do have some carbs naturally. My cats only liked the chicken breast. They did not like liver, beef, or seafood of any type. I know other cats that love the freeze dried shrimp and salmon. Note that cats convert protein to glucose, so feeding 0 carb, high protein treats can still cause BGs to be high.

3. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

Probably Pure Bites.

The dog treat aisle may have other brands. Just look for those that are 100% meat or fish. These are typically freeze dried or jerky treats.

Dog treats won't be a problem since you are feeding a peice or two once in awhile, not as the main diet.

See this for other brands of low carb treats: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9172

Real Food Toppers is a good brand. The meat or fish pieces are in large chunks, not small cubes like Halo Liv-A-Littles, and there is a good amount of powdered meat or fish at the bottom of the bag that is great for sprinkling on food.

Stella and Chewy's makes another freeze dried meat treat, Carnivore Kisses. The Crunch one is more like kibble-texture but it's still grain-free and low carb.

You can also feed freeze dried RAW as treats. My cat loved it :smile:

4. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

5. Val and Sebastian

Val and Sebastian Member

We've been using the Halo Liv-a-Little which both our cats love, but at $12 a container, not super affordable.

Then we discovered Pure Bites at Pet Supplies Plus last week. $2.50 a bag, and the cats like them even more than the Halo! We've only tried the beef liver variety-- haven't opened the other bag we bought (chicken, I think.)

Somehow it doesn't seem fair that our civvie gets a treat along with Sebastian even though she hasn't had to suffer through any needles! :lol:

6. Harley and Pattie

Harley and Pattie Well-Known Member

I live in Minneapolis. Where would I go to buy the Real Food Toppers. I am having trouble finding an outlet for them or do I only buy them on-line.

Pattie

7. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.