Recent DX. Did we bounce?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by ash&chewy, Nov 25, 2018.

1. ash&chewy

ash&chewy New Member

Hi all. Ashley here. Chewy was newly diagnosed last Saturday 11/17. First off - this website has provided so much invaluable information that I've been reading over the last week. Thank you all so much!

Our vet started us on 1 unit/2x daily Prozinc and then reduced to .5 unit/2x daily after the first day because he was testing pretty low before his 2nd AM shot.

We tested his BG curve all week, and as of our follow-up with the vet on Friday, she was happy with how he was doing (and was incredibly impressed with the spreadsheet). We have another follow-up call on Monday.

Yesterday, his numbers tested pretty well (I think, SS in sig), although he didn't nadir until +9. Then his numbers went up into the 300's in the evening/this morning. I just tested his +6 at 283.

Anyways...do his yesterday PM/today AM numbers look like a bounce?

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Welcome! Congratulations on getting the testing and spreadsheet done! Very impressive for someone so new to this. :)

You have a great vet! So many people struggle with trying to follow their vet's instructions when those instructions aren't ideal. That starting dose was what is usually recommended and dropping it when the AMPS was a blue was the right thing to do. That green 91 was a good number so I suggest you keep the 0.5 u dose for now. Erratic numbers are normal at the beginning of insulin therapy and can stabilize over time. Some cats will stay volatile and it can make dose assessment challenging but not impossible. Yes, the recent pinks look like bounce numbers. Stay the course, though, because an episode of bouncing can "clear" or stop after a number of cycles so that you're able to see the true effect of a dose again.

If an increase is needed in the days ahead we'd recommend 0.75 u. If your syringes have half unit marks you can eyeball that without too much difficulty. If they don't it's harder but can be done.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
    ash&chewy likes this.
  3. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

Hi there!

Yes, I would think that is a bounce, not caused by a too-low number but rather by him spending such a long time (quite probably from +5 the night before) in lower numbers than his body is used to ...

And I see Kris just posted, so I’ll leave it there and just say welcome! Hope you were able to celebrate Thanksgiving over there. :)

ash&chewy likes this.
  4. ash&chewy

ash&chewy New Member

Thank you so much, Kris and Jenna! :D

Our syringes have .5u markings, so if we need to go up to .75u, eyeballing shouldn’t be difficult.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  5. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Hi Ashley and Chewy! Kris and Jenna have already answered your question, so I'll just say Welcome! :)

ash&chewy likes this.
  6. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hi Ashley and Chewy! Great job getting the SS up and in your signature and great job with all the testing! Sounds like your vet is awesome...can we all borrow her? ;)

Let us know if you have more questions. This is a tough disease and the learning curve can be steep...but we've all been there and we're happy to help you out in whatever ways we can!

ash&chewy likes this.
  7. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

ash&chewy likes this.