Recently diagnosed diabetic cat refusing to eat! Help!!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Stella kitty, Oct 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stella kitty

Stella kitty New Member

We recently found out that our 11 year old cat has diabetes and she is refusing to eat. We know that me must give her insulin only after she has eaten, but she has won’t eat anything. How do you get her to eat something so that we can give her medicine?

2. Tanya and Ducia

Tanya and Ducia Well-Known Member

A few things can help with appetite:
    sprinkle a little Parmesan cheese or FortiFlora on her food.
    Some cats like a little of dry oregano.
    Some like their food better if you add a little tuna water - do not use tuna cans which contain oil or broth with onions.

Refusing to eat could be sign of illness in cats. After about 24 hours they risk getting hepatic lepidosis. If she is not eating it is best to see a vet.

What insulin is she on and what is the current dose?

Do you home test? It is important to take blood glucose test prior to each injection to be safe. The test should be free of food influence for at least 2 hours.

3. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Does she act interested in the food, like she wants to eat, then just doesn't? Maybe she has nausea? Has she had blood work/urinalysis done recently to rule out issues that could be causing her not to eat?

I make chicken bone broth for my girls, and I find that adding a little warmed broth to their food results in them eating more of it.

4. sugar_rush

sugar_rush Member

Hi Stella kitty,

My male black cat, Kiwi, is going through the same issue! I'm a wreck. We are going to try Cerenia as soon as we can get the prescription. NOTE to all: The only chain pharmacy that sells it is Costco!

Kiwi was eating pretty well prior to his diabetes diagnosis (on 10/14/17), he went for his glucose curve one week ago, and this issue started on Saturday.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.